Author Topic: my antivirus thinks the steam API is a virus  (Read 12679 times)

That's one stuff antivirus.

I thought Symantec was good.

I thought Symantec was good.
It's borderline,

Don't worry op many anti-viruses detect steam Api, as people pirate steam api's and put them in their own folder to run games.
I don't really want to be banned for this but I need tell him about this to give Op info about this situation when it comes to his security.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:34:59 PM by Starzy »

i thought it said "my friend thinks the steam API is a virus" and I was going to say "kill your friend"

do it anyway

Norton is good but it gives a billion ton of false negatives. It just happens.

Perhaps this virus targets steam_api.dll to conceal itself.

Symantec/Norton Antivirus thinks everything is a virus.

Norton is good but it gives a billion ton of false negatives. It just happens.

More like it doesn't detect anything at all, it's loving crapware and you know it.

I ran a malwarebytes scan on my mums computer that had norton
10 Reg keys
5 .exe's
and a whole crapload of adware

Norton didn't do stuff.

More like it doesn't detect anything at all, it's loving crapware and you know it.

10 Reg keys
5 .exe's

Norton didn't do stuff.
same for me, me and my dad ran a malwarebytes full scan on my mom's computer.
50 pieces of bloatware, a stuffload of reg keys, a keylogger, probably 20 exes, and dozens of adware.

10 Reg keys
5 .exe's

Norton didn't do stuff.

Reg keys and .exes mean physically nothing. A .exe does not imply a virus while a reg key does not physically imply anything except modified Windows registry which can actually most of the time end up as false negatives by simply changing settings. Malwarebytes has default exceptions for registry keys because you might have turned them off intentionally by the way.

Adware's fine though then, since it's the only thing that you said that is a virus.

But hearing Zombie's story as well which actually detected a keylogger which is a pretty big deal I guess it's pretty bad. But did you also scan with Norton though?

I'm considering buying Malwarebytes Premium for Real-Time protection. But I'll stick with MSE for now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:44:42 PM by LeetZero »

Malwarebytes is the stuff.

Symantec/Norton Antivirus thinks everything is a virus.

Norton actually detected one of its own files as a virus once labeling it malware.

True story.