If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?

Poll

Pick one!

Lua
54 (27.3%)
Python
48 (24.2%)
EMCA
13 (6.6%)
Ruby
6 (3%)
Other
77 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?  (Read 9502 times)

i looked over everything and this seems really neat
now, what is the potential for this javascript thing you're doing in blockland?
like what are the possibilities?
maps?
different shading?
other things?
"oh hey a new thing"
"does it do everything impossible?"
Probably not. Of course, this seems to have more functionality than TorqueScript, so it is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. It would be great for coding add-ons in a half-decent language with slightly more control over the engine, however.

It can be used to do anything you can imagine. Those snips come from some code I have to generate terrain procedurally as you walk in any direction and automatically remove bricks outside your view distance. The result is something that seems like infinite terrain and supports upwards of 30 consecutive 'groups' of players (people who share a view obviously use less bricks than someone on their own). Since all the generation and everything is done in C++ instead of Torque, it operates with no lag whatsoever. It can also be used to modify the games base to your liking. One thing that I want to work on sometime in the near future is the idea of selective ghosting, or only sending objects to certain clients. That way stuff like the 256k brick limit can go away almost entirely, you only scope the important bricks (nearby bricks) to each client. Another thing that I want to do at some point is rewrite the entire sound engine.
heh

'the engine is limited'
'impossible because torque engine'
'you cant change to a new engine'you still can't but close enough

rekt

heh

'the engine is limited'
'impossible because torque engine'
'you cant change to a new engine'you still can't but close enough

rekt
It's not actual terrain, it's bricks. Still cool as hell, though. This kind of optimization would be the loving greatest.

How about we just overhaul the engine entirely.  :nes:

Would it not be possible to slowly change each function of blockland to a different code language?

Reimplementing terrain has always been and always will be possible. Whether or not SlickSilver's v8 implementation supports the required functions is purely up to him.

JavaScript, but specifically Google's V8 Engine. stuff so fast it's speeds are comparable to native C++.
^^^

It can be used to do anything you can imagine. Those snips come from some code I have to generate terrain procedurally as you walk in any direction and automatically remove bricks outside your view distance. The result is something that seems like infinite terrain and supports upwards of 30 consecutive 'groups' of players (people who share a view obviously use less bricks than someone on their own). Since all the generation and everything is done in C++ instead of Torque, it operates with no lag whatsoever. It can also be used to modify the games base to your liking. One thing that I want to work on sometime in the near future is the idea of selective ghosting, or only sending objects to certain clients. That way stuff like the 256k brick limit can go away almost entirely, you only scope the important bricks (nearby bricks) to each client. Another thing that I want to do at some point is rewrite the entire sound engine.

At what point does it become a different game entirely?

when you remove bricks

At what point does it become a different game entirely?
farlands

Why don't we all just start over. Hit the reset button for Blockland.

Brainforget

Seriously though, Javascript would be nice.