Author Topic: Boodals' Untitled D&D-like RPG  (Read 17946 times)

Also, still waiting on the guide from Element...

Any day now....

I'll work on it when you get back to working towards the battle alpha test.

Battles are almost finished, just adding support for visual FX, then it should be ready for some alpha tests.

It occurred to me that this is less of an RPG, and more of a RPG game engine. The framework and content are being kept separate, so it should be very easy to use the system for other games. Obviously they'll have to follow a similar style, dice rolls and turn based combat and stuff, but things like the classes, skills, conditions, could all be changed entirely (without modifying any torquescript too). Its almost a shame I made this in blockland and not just as its own engine..

Bump

The server now requires a client sided add-on to join. If anybody is curious, its due to the Missing Sequence error that is caused by having custom TSShapeConstructors.

While searching for the answer to the error, I found several people who had also had the error. Some people had managed to fix it, others couldn't. I did my own research, and it turns out that it is a TGE bug that several developers have had to work around or patch, including (I believe) Badspot. The problem is that when a client is downloading datablocks, the whole datablock is packaged up into a single packet, and the packets have a size limit. Since TSShapeConstructors have a bunch of sequences which all need a file address, the limit is easily reached, and so a bunch of data is cut off, which causes the missing sequence error (since it cant find the cut off sequence file).
The solution was to put the datablock definition on the client, and have it load when they join the server. However defining an actual datablock caused a ton of issues because it was being assigned an ID which mismatched the ID on the server, so instead of defining it using datablock I had to define it using new, which assigns it an object ID (which I didn't know was possible, and I have no idea how the networking works with it). It seems to work perfectly though.

I think I might make a support script which will allow add-on makers to send these pseudo datablocks to clients, maybe even have .ifl file downloading..

tl;dr you need the client to be able to join. If i let people join who didn't have the client, they would run into an error which can potentially crash your client.

I should add that the client can be downloaded here.

Edit: I really should clean up the OP at some point, or maybe ill make a new topic since everything is so outdated..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:35:25 AM by boodals 2 »

Some new progress on the inventory GUIs. Still got a lot to rewrite with them, but I made them a lot easier to manage multiple inventories.

Much higher framerate MP4 version.

Do the GUIs take up too much screen space? Or are they okay?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:25:11 AM by boodals 2 »

Looks good to me but keep in mind, a lot of people have a smaller resolution.

I'm doing some more work on the client sided stuff, getting skills being sent and stored on the client, and played around a bit with the Skills GUI.

(as usual, click for a higher fps mp4 version)

Yeah I fixed up that circlular hotbar from a few pages back, and made it configurable through click and drag. There will also be a regular 1-10 hotbar which will go under it in the GUI, and at the bottom center of your screen.

Everything is set up now, so I should be ready to start doing some more serious testing of the battles and skill system. The only thing I really need (quite badly) are a bunch of skills to test with (along with the ones me and Element have made). A guide to creating them would be handy..

What addons will you be using for weapons, armor, etc?

Most promising project I've seen. Don't give up my friend - this is what Blockland needs

What addons will you be using for weapons, armor, etc?

Most promising project I've seen. Don't give up my friend - this is what Blockland needs

Basically, none. I've made a completely separate inventory, item, and damage system, so no other add-ons will work with it unless they are specifically made to. It comes with a bunch of items, modeled by Jakeblade, and I plan on adding more once everything is working.

I also forgot to mention that I did some more work on the dungeon generator. I got the floors generating, and most of the prop placement code done. Still working out a few math errors, but its looking great.

Basically, none. I've made a completely separate inventory, item, and damage system, so no other add-ons will work with it unless they are specifically made to. It comes with a bunch of items, modeled by Jakeblade, and I plan on adding more once everything is working.

I also forgot to mention that I did some more work on the dungeon generator. I got the floors generating, and most of the prop placement code done. Still working out a few math errors, but its looking great.

Don't forget the music. kazoo bard bitches

Will there be werewolves with a infection system?

Will there be werewolves with a infection system?

Err.. I'm gonna go with no... There's a lot of more important things which ill probably never get to finish.

i'll get on tomorrow! Looks cool, your stuff always ends up nifty
Err.. I'm gonna go with no... There's a lot of more important things which ill probably never get to finish.
not with that attitude you won't

not with that attitude you won't

no really he wont ever get to finish some of this stuff