[TUTORIAL] How to make interactive door bricks/switches

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] How to make interactive door bricks/switches  (Read 15736 times)

Personally I've got no idea how to texture stuff, sorry :(

ok i've figured out how to actually make the door bricks with proper scale, but how do I add textures to them? I know that the obj2blb exporters allows it because its in the documentation, and you're supposed to name objects that you want to have the specific texture to 'TOP', 'BOTTOMEDGE', 'PRINT', etc. None of these are working and its just plain and smooth everywhere.

http://leetlegacy.tk/brickmaking.html#texturing
It's not the Objects you must name, it's the Material, and then you must UV Texture it properly.

It's not the Objects you must name, it's the Material, and then you must UV Texture it properly.
How did you get the little popup menu that's above the square to the left of the material name?

Ok. I have no idea how to UV Texture things in 2.6, i'll look into it though.

Ugh, the exporter just keeps saying "ERROR!" and then closing straight after. I haven't even been able to start my OpenCW yet :/

I'm used the 6frame.blend in OP to start off.

-removed link-

EDIT: I did some testing, and I've figured out that everything is exporting fine except the 2 objects of the actual doors.

EDIT #2: Ok, I did some optimization and deleted an N-gon that I accidently put in 1 of the objects. It actually exports now but I've got a problem.

There is no shading at all whenever I have the glow FX on, or there is no light towards it.

EDIT #3: I think I've figured out why there's no shading, I need to add a 'C -x -x -x -x' to bits of the door that stand out, like in the door next to mine.

EDIT #4: Ok, everything is working fine now. I just need to finish the model, and then start on the OpenCW model (which is as easy as two rotations).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:33:38 AM by EcstaticEggplant »

Im getting this:
Code: [Select]
Add-Ons/Brick_NDoors/bricks/door_classic.cs (0): Unable to find parent object brickDoorClassicOpenCWData for fxDTSBrickData.Brick does not show up in game but does take datablocks.
What is this?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:47:13 PM by Mr.Noßody »

Im getting this:
Add-Ons/Brick_NDoors/bricks/door_classic.cs (0): Unable to find parent object brickDoorClassicOpenCWData for fxDTSBrickData.Brick does not show up in game but does take datablocks.
What is this?
Give us you're code.

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorHouseOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_House_openCW.blb";
uiName = "Classic Door";

isDoor = 1;
isOpen = 1;

closedCW = "brickDoorClassicCWData";
openCW = "brickDoorClassicOpenCWData";

closedCCW = "brickDoorClassicCWData";
openCCW = "brickDoorClassicOpenCCWData";

orientationFix = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorClassicOpenCCWData : brickDoorClassicOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_Classic_openCCW.blb";
isOpen = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorClassicCWData : brickDoorClassicOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_Classic_closed.blb";

category = "special";
subCategory = "Doors";

iconName = "Add-Ons/Brick_Doors/bricks/Classic Door";

isOpen = 0;
};

I'm not sure if this is right but your first datablock is called "brickDoorHouseOpenCWData" and it looks like you later refer to it as "brickDoorClassicOpenCWData".

I might be wrong, but that may be it.

Also, are you forcing the door add-on to load when you run your script? (ie Step 6 in the OP)

Well, okay. Fixing the naming issue fixed the issue of it not showing up.

But now by clicking the door, the brick goes away entirely.
Oh wait, never mind. It just becomes a massive cube. Interesting..
The blb must be messed up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:31:25 PM by Mr.Noßody »

Well, okay. Fixing the naming issue fixed the issue of it not showing up.

But now by clicking the door, the brick goes away entirely.
Did you make "./door_Classic_openCCW.blb" and "./door_Classic_closed.blb" like you're referring to in the code? Because it seems like at first you call up the door like "./door_House_openCW.blb" but then you refer to the models as door_Classic instead of door_House.

Maybe you want to show a screenshot of the contents of your .zip, so I can see the names of files?

As of now the code has no remnence of the house door.

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorClassicOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_classic_openCW.blb";
uiName = "Classic Door";

isDoor = 1;
isOpen = 1;

closedCW = "brickDoorClassicCWData";
openCW = "brickDoorClassicOpenCWData";

closedCCW = "brickDoorClassicCWData";
openCCW = "brickDoorClassicOpenCCWData";

orientationFix = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorClassicOpenCCWData : brickDoorClassicOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_Classic_openCCW.blb";
isOpen = 1;
};

datablock fxDTSBrickData ( brickDoorClassicCWData : brickDoorClassicOpenCWData )
{
brickFile = "./door_Classic_closed.blb";

category = "special";
subCategory = "Doors";

iconName = "Add-Ons/Brick_Doors/bricks/Classic Door";

isOpen = 0;
};

Source files look like this:

Only decrepency is the capped C in "door_Classic_openCCW.blb"
Ill edit that out to see what happens.

No, that didnt help. The door plants normally.. half buried into the ground. (Accidentally offset the base point)
But when clicked, it turns into a 64x55.5 brick offset to the west by exactly half a brick length. Oddly enough, this weird offset brick maintains default brick texture even though I have no way of assisting it to do that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:09:39 AM by Mr.Noßody »

So, you've got a "door_classic_openCW.obj" file but no "door_classic_openCW.blb" file, like you reference in your script. I believe that may be an issue.

So, you've got a "door_classic_openCW.obj" file but no "door_classic_openCW.blb" file, like you reference in your script. I believe that may be an issue.

God damn, I gotta check stuff like that. Must have swapped the files like some kinda smart guy.
Ill see what happens.

Edit: And to think, I basically had it right all along..
It's working just fine...aside from half-assed collisions and a faulty base point.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:16:20 AM by Mr.Noßody »