Author Topic: Xalos's Anti-Idea-Stealing Release  (Read 12533 times)

There is this toxic concept of "idea stealing" that is deeply engrained in the community so that no one ever releases anything that they've made.  They run a server, then they stop and their creation is never seen again.  No one is allowed to play with their ball without them.

In the interest of showing that idea stealing is A.) not bad and B.) not a thing, I am going to release most or all of my gamemodes / add-ons. These will not be released until they meet two criteria: stability and ease of use.

The mere fact that I have more add-ons than I can count on my fingers and toes(under the trivial system - if we assign each finger and toe a value equal to a power of two, then I could count between 0 and 1048575, or -524288 and 524287 if we used Two's complement)is a good sign that I should probably release a lot of them.

Gamemodes
Gamemode_Farming - an add-on I made and abandoned five years ago. /help should get you started.
Gamemode_Solar_Apoc - try to survive during the day!
Gamemode_Spleef - drop tiles to try to kill other players!

Everything Else
System_Wires - place wires with pre-defined events to make contraptions!
Weapon_DeathPaint - kill other players with a blue paint can!

Unfinished/Unstable Mods
Xalos's Anti-Idea-Stealing Release (Unfinished Mod Edition)

While I do test all of these before releasing them, I can't catch everything. Some of them are years old and may have subtle bugs. Feel free to ask questions about how a mod works, or whether it should be doing some unusual behavior X. Also feel free to suggest mods I haven't yet released - I can't just dump my entire add-ons folder here because I have about twenty different Blockland installs and all of them contain mods totally unsuitable for release.

You are also completely free to use these mods in whatever way you like, as ought to be implied by my publicly releasing them. You can host servers with them, adapt them into your own mods, or whatever else you feel like.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:56:09 AM by Xalos »

Interesting.
   indeed.                                                                                                         

Wait, I meant to put proper thumbnails in there before releasing them.

Oops.

I think it would be really cool if you also put resource type files here or in a modification discussion, so that they could be used.

this is great and i want more people to do this

I also want to release my TRON gamemode, but it was always pretty boring as it stands now.

If I could get models for the light discs, lightcycles, light runner, light jets, and the light fighter that I don't think was ever specifically named, that would be awesome.

The light jets and the light fighter are both shown in this video.

Paint can weapon?

thank you thank you thank you

I also want to release my TRON gamemode, but it was always pretty boring as it stands now.

If I could get models for the light discs, lightcycles, light runner, light jets, and the light fighter that I don't think was ever specifically named, that would be awesome.

The light jets and the light fighter are both shown in this video.
Wait, you talking about that one zip file in the long lost addon topics that contains tron_vehicles and has what I think is a model file in it? Because I totally have it if you need it.

Would like to see a release for Solar Apocalypse next.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:06:34 AM by Rally »

Would like to see a release for Solar Apocalypse next.

Added it to the list. For some reason the description won't show up in-game, I'm not entirely sure why.

Also, if anyone would like to make nice gamemode icons for these, that would help greatly! I really suck at making a small image that encapsulates a gamemode well.

Any other add-ons people would like to see released?