Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.

Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14751 times)

BLOCKLAND, AND WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS

A NOVEL TO OUR SO-CALLED DOWNFALL
i got mad at the lack of content sorry

WHAT 'creating something new' AND 'saying you're creating something new' MEANS

There are many, many examples of things people have made, that never finished, and are forever forgotten in the spectrum of Blockland's cesspool of nonfinished addons. Infact, there are so many things revolutionary that have been proven to be possible, but were never shed the appropriate daylight to be seen on the glorious Add-On board. Why is this? Well, from Port's specific examples, atleast for the vehicle sounds, it's because they 'aren't given the necessary coding to work on it's own yet'. And while, okay. If something works but not clearly yet, find a damn way around it. Letting it sit isn't all that cool, now is it? Especially if you're going to flaunt a completely working version to people trying to replicate it but not quite getting there. I'm probably one of the first he sent that video to, hours or days after me and Filipe released our own version that hadn't yet achieved the 'smooth transition between sounds' yet. This kind of thing happens everywhere and I've yet to see something truly big be released lately. I'm sure if we tallied up how many cool things were released vs how many cool things didn't get pushed publicly, it'd be an obvious win one a certain side. I still don't get why people can't atleast send out their unfinished content in hopes that someone intellectual can continue off of it and finish it. Even when that does happen, that's because stuff is sitting there for a year or two, and by then everybody forgot how cool your stuff was. I'm unfortunately a contender to this in slight meaning. I make stuff that works, and never get around to releasing it. Atleast I've been trying to fix that lately (only to really get told that my stuff sucks and people usually replace the sounds, so why bother when that's my strong-suit.), unlike a lot of people who keep recreating what they've done before only for it to have the same exact fate.

LUL PRIVATE ADDONS

Private Add-ons. Yeah, we all know this one. That stuff that nobody likes. I don't think people realise that, you can't keep your stuff up forever. So when you never release your stuff, you're special snowflake content gets forgotten. Maybe, there's that special memory people keep of your server. But the second you start becoming irrelevant, your stuff is no longer special snowflake worthy. I'll be damned, if everybody released their private addons, we wouldn't need Badspot to update the game. There is so much stuff out there, like bricks and other bigger addons that would be revolutionary to Blockland but, no, to keep that special snowflake status, they MUSTN'T RELEASE ANYTHING. For example; Cohort has tons of custom bricks, or a decent amount of them. These bricks are highquality. But will they be released? As of now, no. They used them to glorify their builds, which, when released, never included those sweet little custom bricks in the package, meaning, the builds are now about 10% less interesting. The titanic build had tons of custom things too, and even if the bricks were said to release with the build, the build's not going to be finished. Not in years.

TL;DR

I sortof rambled that all up really quickly. I'm just really, really frustrated at how nothing ever gets finished (even though there's decently working copies of it that could definitely be finished by another person, or the content already made could be released without every single feature included), and how the stuff that does get finished that is remotely cool never gets released due to the ego-booster 'private addons' mess going around.

DISCLAIMER
Make it yourself? forget off. Maybe I don't have the knowhow and never will for a really, really long time. Why not release your stuff, give me a base platform (your addon), and then I can change the scripts to fit my needs. That much better :D?

So what is the main point of this thread?

You literally posted faster than I could read the entire thing.
Read it. You'd figure it out. I even put neat little headlines for you.

Really? Did you even read the topic carefully or you just slapped your eye there and stuffpost the first thing you could come up with?

"damp" and "stuffpost" kinda go hand in hand.

TL;DR

I sortof rambled that all up really quickly. I'm just really, really frustrated at how nothing ever gets finished (even though there's decently working copies of it that could definitely be finished by another person, or the content already made could be released without every single feature included), and how the stuff that does get finished that is remotely cool never gets released due to the ego-booster 'private addons' mess going around.

reposting this here because i firmly believe this and think it's very relevant to OP's points
the game is long past overdue for people to perpetuate the fun within the community. the tools are there; the modding capability is simply fantastic (even though there are some frustrating restrictions, you can't deny that blockland lets you do a lot), normal users can use events to make things interactive, the brick limit is pretty hefty (and with modter being default, there's even more room oftentimes), but the cycle is insufficient. people make a nice server, stop hosting it, and it's gone forever. we need to get our heads out of candyland and do things for the game, because that's what the community does for a sandbox. how often are new tools and systems added to garry's mod? the community creates the toys and the nature of the game lends to other people playing with them. i think the private mod practices here have seriously hindered the growth of the game. people are accustomed to the cycle, but think about what would happen if some of these awesome gamemodes had multiple servers up at all times until the community collectively is bored of it. i'm not trying to sound preachy or condescending or anything, but that's one thing i really want to see on our bucket list.

i don't think at all it's badspot's job to do this, because then the game wouldn't be a sandbox. it would be more like a burger king plastic castle.

that being said, i could imagine there being a completely new revision of blockland if badspot still had interest in creating this kind of game and wanted to start fresh.

i agree with everything said here, bushido im looking at you lol

ONTOPIC:
I didn't even know cohort had unreleased bricks. It kinda irks me to know that while their builds are amazing by themselves, I won't be able to enjoy them to their full extent because of the unreleased bricks unless I join one of their servers.

I remember Furdle's Snowsport RP having this really neat add-on for making smooth cables between bricks, it seemed really cool and useful. It's too bad it hasn't been released to my knowledge, though.

TBD's Dogfight and Heedicalking's Island DM had a cool anti-aircraft turret that worked really well, but wasn't released officially. Now that Heed's been banned, I'm not too sure it'll ever be released.

I still don't understand this whole private add-ons thing, why limit everyone from using revolutionary/useful add-ons like that?

I still don't understand this whole private add-ons thing, why limit everyone from using revolutionary/useful add-ons like that?

So that way they can grow that tiny e-peens of theirs.

the only time private add-ons are 'okay' is if the community can't be trusted with them, such as eval (which is so unbelievably simple that this is unnecessary. if you really need it, you're probably a coder and can easily make your own lol), or things that exist for literally no reason other than being an annoying pernus.

also let's not use the term 'private add-ons', but 'private content'. there are some things that can't be released as an add-on, but would be very useful for other developers (such as those things Port made in the OP). even if they aren't complete, they can have significant value. there are also some things that would not pass as an add-on, but willing community members could patch together to a usable state. if nothing else, you can have these things on a github repository or something.

The other time private addons are okay is if they use content that they are not allowed to release publicly, for example, an edited version of another add-on.

The other time private addons are okay is if they use content that they are not allowed to release publicly, for example, an edited version of another add-on.
so, like a pink mini nuke that shoots horses? or do you mean something else?

or carrots
can't release carrots, no sir