Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14750 times)

Let's politely encourage coders to release things, not bash on them. Thank you.

how about we write a program to properly steal resource files from cache.db

then you just gotta save the datablock, export the file, boom vehicle/brick/weapon (partly) stolen

it won't work for scripts obviously but it's a start to combat private stuff
Wasn't Epos doing stuff like this?

And yeah too be honest, private content is really silly. I get that if they're not complete, and need work, fine that's good. But good complete content that WORKS and has no problems? Why the forget do you have it in your head that you should flaunt it around on the playground as your shiny new toy. then when someone asks to play with it you go ahead and say "Well sure, but no one plays with my toys without me ;)))"(maybe i should've just directly quoted some people on that)

The point is, releasing finished content you've made is vital, it not only fuels the game, but other people will actually enjoy the stuff you made, instead of going "oh i remember that, it was good while it lasted i guess too bad it will never be released for us to play around with it and enjoy more." In fact some people are loving fueled on the concept of Woah people praise my content! My rooster will become huge if i don't release this, people will want it more and more! Stop this. Now. I keep repeating myself but forget, is it so hard for some people to understand the concept of what "Sharing is caring" or "Contributing to your community is good!" Looking at this thread i see a lot of bullstuff, and a lot of good too. Like Port, Greek, Tudore, Xalos, TBD, and other mentions. They're already contributing what they can and that's good! it is. But there's still people who refuse to let go the toxic belief that flaunting cool stuff over others for attention will give them giant throbbing roosters. It won't, it really won't. All the bricks that we could have been using in our builds for loving awesomeness you can't possibly imagine. We don't have because of this toxic bullstuff. Keep that in mind.

Forgive me if my ranting is a bit rusty. This is the first time in a good few years i've had to rant.

tl;dr As many have said before, this toxic idea of private stuff has gone on too long.

Wasn't Epos doing stuff like this?
nah, I don't think he ever made something that can properly find the hash associated with a specific file name. The datablock only tells you the file name of the resource, but you need the hash to export the right blob from the database. Blockland stores the relation in memory while you're in the server (and it's gone when you leave it) but I don't know how exactly it works. It sounds more like a job for Valcle, lol.

i dont mind people having private mods

just as long as they release them once theyre done using them lol

Haha oh wow.
Hydra is keeping his tabs on this topic.
We were using Dropbox for your reference and 6 files just got deleted.
I checked out our shared folder and guess which files are gone.
Don't worry Hydra, i said i wouldn't unless i had permission.
You can trust me. >_<
Haha, what a little bitch.

Haha, what a little bitch.
Did you read his posts after that

Oh, well I've been severely misled then.

Let's politely encourage coders to release things, not bash on them. Thank you.
ya

however you want to look at the situation, the modders are the ones that will keep the game alive and provide this content and they should at least feel like their efforts would be appreciated

i haven't really played blockland all that much but isnt bushido the head of the private add-on industry? or is that heed?

i haven't really played blockland all that much but isnt bushido the head of the private add-on industry? or is that heed?
I'd say they're in heated competition for it.

it isn't really an industry, it's just a practice

if anything it's more like a black market i guess

what about truce

what about truce
Truce has typically handed things out when asked.

Truce has typically handed things out when asked.
from what i've heard and seen, that's only to people just starting out as developers. amirite?