Author Topic: Best modelling program?  (Read 3267 times)

Which one is the best/easiest in your opinion? I'm new to this. c:

Well milkshape has a more simple user interface and is much easier to get used to, and it also has a built in dts exporter. On the other hand, blender is free, open source, and has lots more features. It has quite an overwhelming interface at first, but there are many tutorials covering it all. You only need to use like 10% of blender's features for blockland anyway. I haven't even mentioned the fact that blender allows you to use quads, which can half the poly count on your model, which can be crucial for stopping fps drops on high poly models.

This is a matter of opinion. I find Milkshape easy to use but I find Blender far better than Milkshape. Milkshape is an extremely outdated modeling program and doesn't have near as many useful tools as Blender.

This opinion comes from me wasting my money on Milkshape and using it for a little over a year before I finally used Blender after becoming fed up with MS3D's horrible system.

Since you can't afford Milkshape you should go with Blender, you can get it easily using the prepackaged versions that Demian set up: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=238465.0
If you desire, for a little extra work you can model in the newer versions of Blender, and then just use version 2.49b to export. http://www.blender.org/download/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:37:14 PM by UnAware »

If you desire, for a little extra work you can model in the newer versions of Blender, and then just use version 2.49b to export. http://www.blender.org/download/
And that little extra work is checking a checkbox when saving a file so you can open the file in an older version.

if you don't want stupidly complicated programs like blender and milkshape then use tinkercad.

its free and you do not need to install anything

and you can also do some 3d printing

so ya milkshape and blender are just way too hard to get used to so use this

Well Futuro, i got USED to using blender in about an hour of learning. By used to i mean familiarized myself with the entire interface, functions, keybinds and nifty tricks. IMO, blender is worth the bit more of learning you have to do, because when you get used to a simple, dumbed down program and need to do complex things, you will find yourself in a pretty silly situation

Well Futuro, i got USED to using blender in about an hour of learning. By used to i mean familiarized myself with the entire interface, functions, keybinds and nifty tricks. IMO, blender is worth the bit more of learning you have to do, because when you get used to a simple, dumbed down program and need to do complex things, you will find yourself in a pretty silly situation

it took me atleast 3 weeks on how to make a shape

and 5 weeks to model a square

its harder for me then you think

how am i supposed to learn anything from all of that

besides look how complicated it looks!!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:17:07 PM by Futurjojo »

No it didn't. It took you five minutes of staring at the interface and trying to figure it out, giving up, coming back three weeks later and spending ten minutes pressing keys until a new shape appeared.

At first glance, yes. After you take a deep breath and examine the stuff you realize you need 10% of it. I quit for months after using Blender for ~10 minutes for the first time. The UI was just too much. But I came back. Now I've been using Blender for +5 years.

But the great thing is you can customize it a lot.

Here's what my Blender looks like with a fresh new file and I've only hidden some stuff and changed the default values. It took me like 5 minutes to go from factory defaults to this.

I work with the properties panel on the right side a lot actually.

-huge snip-
Or he is too young to retain information as advanced as this

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what is the menu i've been calling the N-Menu named. The menu that opens with N and includes Grease Pencil, background image, etc.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:25:50 PM by Dannu »

if you don't want stupidly complicated programs like blender and milkshape then use tinkercad.
First of all, Milkshape isn't complicated. At all. and neither is Blender once you get used to it.

Second, if you use Tinkercad you can't get your models in game without using another program that can export to the DTS format. Blender and Milkshape both can export to DTS with ease.

its harder for me then you think

how am i supposed to learn anything from all of that

You must have a slower workflow than Valve.

Blender and Milkshape both can export to DTS with ease.
I wouldn't classify exporting DTS with blender as easy, but it's definitely doable :P

I wouldn't classify exporting DTS with blender as easy, but it's definitely doable :P
What part isn't easy exactly?

What part isn't easy exactly?
You need to download a script to do it and give up trying to install it or spend a while to find the prepackaged installation ie. not out-of-the-box stuff.

Well Futuro, i got USED to using blender in about an hour of learning.