#gamergate megathread

Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 119989 times)

You can stop trolling, mate.

Blockland is a game. The one thing that's questionable is the goals, but there are few game-modes within that have predefined rules, so therefore I believe you can judge that as satisfying all criteria.
But the sandbox mode with no lose condition or goal is the most played, so according to you, Dr. Video Games, PhD, Blockland is not a game, but an "interactive experience".  Or maybe we could call it a game because it's way easier.

But the sandbox mode with no lose condition or goal is the most played, so according to you, Dr. Video Games, PhD, Blockland is not a game, but an "interactive experience".  Or maybe we could call it a game because it's way easier.
Oh my god why are you still going.

Marcem, in the time it took you to make all these posts, you could have watch a few of those videos and read some of those sources.

Marcem, in the time it took you to make all these posts, you could have watch a few of those videos and read some of those sources.
because i exist in a vacuum in which i can do nothing but post, can't do anything else at that time.

i think calmness is the only way to go about stuff like this, and i'm glad you agree.
@ the image: i agree with the overall tone of the image, but here's the thing.
i think what people like sarkeesian are saying is simply that storylines with women as props or whatever are too saturated - that it would be better for the industry for developers to think out of the box a little. that's not to say that you're not allowed to make weak female characters, because i mean, let's be real, sometimes a story can call for a weak female character (or a male, who gives a stuff). it's basically that there hasn't been much creativity in the role of woman characters... really ever in the game industry. i wouldn't take what she says as a hard rule, but basically a potential guiding hand in the future. of course, that may not be what sarkeesian is actually going for, but that's what i think we should take from what she says.
i mean he's kinda right. if you need a set in stone "goal" then blockland is more like a platform to host games on, and not an actual game itself.

i think calmness is the only way to go about stuff like this, and i'm glad you agree.
@ the image: i agree with the overall tone of the image, but here's the thing.
i think what people like sarkeesian are saying is simply that storylines with women as props or whatever are too saturated - that it would be better for the industry for developers to think out of the box a little. that's not to say that you're not allowed to make weak female characters, because i mean, let's be real, sometimes a story can call for a weak female character (or a male, who gives a stuff). it's basically that there hasn't been much creativity in the role of woman characters... really ever in the game industry. i wouldn't take what she says as a hard rule, but basically a potential guiding hand in the future. of course, that may not be what sarkeesian is actually going for, but that's what i think we should take from what she says.
That's exactly what she's saying, though she extends her argument to how the writing may reflect societal norms.  but at its base, it's a criticism of lazy writing.

Sarkeesian is all about cherry picking. People (aka Jack Thompson) used to complain about excessive violence in games and that it caused real violence, but most rational people and research shows theres no correlation. Its the same with Sarkeesian and portrayal of weak/not important women in games. It might be overdone and cheap, but its a non-issue, and demonizing the use of it is just annoying.

I think trolls in fantasy games are overused and displayed in a bad light, and its offensive to my oppressed trollkin who can't live under bridges peacefully, and are only portrayed as shrew toll booths
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:21:55 PM by Dodger »

Sarkeesian is all about cherry picking. People (aka Jack Thompson) used to complain about excessive violence in games and that it caused real violence, but most rational people and research shows theres no correlation. Its the same with Sarkeesian and portrayal of weak/not important women in games. It might be overdone and cheap, but its a non-issue, and demonizing the use of it is just annoying.

I think trolls in fantasy games are overused and displayed in a bad light, and its offensive to my oppressed trollkin who can't live under bridges peacefully, and are only portrayed as shrew toll booths
Violence != treatment of women.  Of course violent games don't cause violence, that's not a societal norm/doesn't compare to loveism.  Tropes in games, though, contribute to a negative view of women.  Why would you think blackface isn't okay?  Isn't not like racism causes more racism, after all!

And goddamn, if she's cherry picking, games are a field of cherry trees.

EDIT: wait one loving second.  Did you just suggest women don't exist with that last sentence?!  Almost skipped over that one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:42:28 PM by Marcem »

EDIT: wait one loving second.  Did you just suggest women don't exist with that last sentence?!  Almost skipped over that one.
trolls = women

gj at defending females there, you just called them trolls

and what the forget, tell me where in that last sentence he said "WOMEN AREN'T REAL"

trolls = women

gj at defending females there, you just called them trolls

and what the forget, tell me where in that last sentence he said "WOMEN AREN'T REAL"
you misunderstood Dodger's brown townogy lol, but ok

@dodger: it's not a non-issue when it dominates the industry. the point is, it's a deeply ingrained mindset. sarkeesian might cherry pick from time to time, but so does every other journalist. especially game journalism. it's stuff. it has been stuff. sarkeesian just happens to have a different opinion that she's cherry picking for. she also cherry picks way less than most.

your troll brown townogy is stuff because the origin of trolls in fantasy was based around them being brutish, angry beings.

you misunderstood Dodger's brown townogy lol, but ok

@dodger: it's not a non-issue when it dominates the industry. the point is, it's a deeply ingrained mindset. sarkeesian might cherry pick from time to time, but so does every other journalist. especially game journalism. it's stuff. it has been stuff. sarkeesian just happens to have a different opinion that she's cherry picking for. she also cherry picks way less than most.

your troll brown townogy is stuff because the origin of trolls in fantasy was based around them being brutish, angry beings.
ah
AH

oh i get it now, thanks

still standing by my "wheres the part of "women aren't real"" though

ah
AH

oh i get it now, thanks

still standing by my "wheres the part of "women aren't real"" though
oppressed trollkin
I assume this is referring to ridiculous Tumblr "otherkin" stuff or w/e "condition" that doesn't exist vs. actual people actually existant.

sarkeesian just happens to have a different opinion that she's cherry picking for. she also cherry picks way less than most.
comedy gold

As far as Sarkeesian, my opinion has always been this; she's welcome to her opinions but she must also accept critcism. She brings up some good points and some bad points, the thing she's mostly alluding to is lazy writing, which I totally agree is a big problem in a lot of games.