Author Topic: A thank you to the community  (Read 4490 times)

I think Blockland is one of the very first computer games I ever played. It was certainly the first multiplayer game I played, and it left a mark. I love this game so much.

If I dig deep enough into my email folder, I can still find the email that delivered my key to me - six and a half years ago. My BLID was 4947, and I can remember when that marked me as a newbie. Now, IDs are into 150,000.

I played this game for years and years, and I dumped thousands of hours into it. Thanks to add-ons, there were so many things to do with this game: TDMs, zombie survival, trench wars, city RPs, jumping puzzle, dogfighting servers, freebuilds, fort wars... I played a little of everything, and loved every minute of it. I remember waiting for months with eager anticipation for V9, and how amazing wrench events were when it finally came out.

The community was never the game's strongest point, I admit, but it's what first got me so in love with multiplayer gaming. Over six years later, I'm sitting here at a custom-built gaming PC, and I might never have gotten into PC gaming at all if it weren't for Blockland.

Recently, I came back to the game after an absence of years, and I've found Blockland a shadow of what it used to be. There are fewer servers, much fewer people playing, and so many of the people I remember are gone. Probably the worst thing is that RtB is gone. RtB's add-on curation and social features were a huge boost to the game, and it's a huge loss to have them gone. I was gutted when I googled "return to blockland", hoping to install it again, and instead saw results mourning the site's shutdown. The game itself seems to have more or less ceased active development.

I suppose I should've expected this, but it still hit me hard. Very hard. I really can't describe how much it hurts to see the game fading away like this, to find so many things I remember so fondly from my childhood completely gone. It's not an exaggeration to say I'm heartbroken.

Some of the little things hit the hardest. The bedroom is gone, and with it all its secrets and quirks and interesting building spots. The main menu no longer makes those harsh musical tones when you mouse over the options. Even Slate is gone; you can closely approximate it with the new environment system, but not exactly, and it just doesn't feel right with the new lighting.

The game isn't dead yet, but it's getting there. So much of what made this game so great is now gone. People have moved on, add-ons and projects have been abandoned, and the community has dwindled. It's arguably inevitable that an online game of any sort must eventually die, but that doesn't make it any less painful to watch, especially when it's a game that's as close to your heart as Blockland is to mine.

Six and half years on, I'd like to thank you guys.

Thanks to Ephialtes, Kaje, Spaceguy, Ace, Bushido, Kalphiter, Gravity Cat, Barnabus, Iban, and all the rest of you whose names I can't recall at the moment, for making brilliant add-ons, hosting brilliant servers, and helping to make the game so great.

Thanks to Badspot and co. for making the game. You may have made some questionable choices with regards to the community and development recently, but even so, you have my utmost thanks for making one of the greatest games of my childhood.

Thanks to all of you. Thanks for giving me so many good memories, so many thousands of hours of enjoyment, and so much enjoyment. Thank you for making this silly little internet LEGOs game one of the best games I've ever played.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:37:01 AM by FireMan »

don't forget to thank disney for their continuous support

early 2009 right here
i was 8
i remember, the first server i joined was on the closet map
when there were already default avatars, i chose the astronaut and named myself "niel armstrong" exactly like that
on that very first server i got made fun of for my name and for having an id that was 400 numbers bigger than theirs (back when that was a big number in bl ids)
they banned me, and i really didnt give a stuff
but here i am still playing this wonderful game. and still being a developing 8 year old of course i was stupid and immature, and didnt have exactly good social skills. dont judge, but i was in a special ed class earlier in my life (shut up) and got taken out early basically because i really didnt need to change anything, i had better social skills than every other kid in the class. blockland has also kind of given me an internet addiction, but once again it has taught me better social skills, logical thinking, and matured me up before a lot of people. and right now (i would try to be humble) but probably smarter in general than everyone, if not equal, in my SCHOOL (its a small school) not in matters of math and science and history or other subjects, but smarter as in knowing how to be a better person.

thank you blockland, and thank you to the people who banned me on that first server
wheres my drink

I think Blockland is one of the very first computer games I ever played. It was certainly the first multiplayer game I played, and it left a mark. I love this game so much.

If I dig deep enough into my email folder, I can still find the email that delivered my key to me - six and a half years ago. My BLID was 4947, and I can remember when that marked me as a newbie. Now, IDs are into 150,000.

I played this game for years and years, and I dumped thousands of hours into it. Thanks to add-ons, there were so many things to do with this game: TDMs, zombie survival, trench wars, city RPs, jumping puzzle, dogfighting servers, freebuilds, fort wars... I played a little of everything, and loved every minute of it. I remember waiting for months with eager anticipation for V9, and how amazing wrench events were when it finally came out.

The community was never the game's strongest point, I admit, but it's what first got me so in love with multiplayer gaming. Over six years later, I'm sitting here at a custom-built gaming PC, and I might never have gotten into PC gaming at all if it weren't for Blockland.

Recently, I came back to the game after an absence of years, and I've found Blockland a shadow of what it used to be. There are fewer servers, much fewer people playing, and so many of the people I remember are gone. Probably the worst thing is that RtB is gone. RtB's add-on curation and social features were a huge boost to the game, and it's a huge loss to have them gone. I was gutted when I googled "return to blockland", hoping to install it again, and instead saw results mourning the site's shutdown. The game itself seems to have more or less ceased active development.

I suppose I should've expected this, but it still hit me hard. Very hard. I really can't describe how much it hurts to see the game fading away like this, to find so many things I remember so fondly from my childhood completely gone. It's not an exaggeration to say I'm heartbroken.

Some of the little things hit the hardest. The bedroom is gone, and with it all its secrets and quirks and interesting building spots. The main menu no longer makes those harsh musical tones when you mouse over the options. Even Slate is gone; you can closely approximate it with the new environment system, but not exactly, and it just doesn't feel right with the new lighting.

The game isn't dead yet, but it's getting there. So much of what made this game so great is now gone. People have moved on, add-ons and projects have been abandoned, and the community has dwindled. It's arguably inevitable that an online game of any sort must eventually die, but that doesn't make it any less painful to watch, especially when it's a game that's as close to your heart as Blockland is to mine.

Six and half years on, I'd like to thank you guys.

Thanks to Ephialtes, Kaje, Spaceguy, Ace, Bushido, Kalphiter, Gravity Cat, Barnabus, Iban, and all the rest of you whose names I can't recall at the moment, for making brilliant add-ons, hosting brilliant servers, and helping to make the game so great.

Thanks to Badspot and co. for making the game. You may have made some questionable choices with regards to the community and development recently, but even so, you have my utmost thanks for making one of the greatest games of my childhood.

Thanks to all of you. Thanks for giving me so many good memories, so many thousands of hours of enjoyment, and so much enjoyment. Thank you for making this silly little internet LEGOs game one of the best games I've ever played.

Can't you people see?! This man has the sanity that half of the people on here lack. You're just sitting there pondering about who-knows-what. There are people like FireMan who really make a difference here. I just want to see some people do the same for once, and let themselves known. I should say "Thanks" to you FireMan because you stand out among the insignificant others I can't mention (because of high quantity). Everything you pointed out made the little Blockhead inside me crawl up in a ball and cry.

Can't you people see?! This man has the sanity that half of the people on here lack. You're just sitting there pondering about who-knows-what. There are people like FireMan who really make a difference here. I just want to see some people do the same for once, and let themselves known. I should say "Thanks" to you FireMan because you stand out among the insignificant others I can't mention (because of high quantity). Everything you pointed out made the little Blockhead inside me crawl up in a ball and cry.

Probably the biggest weakness of the game has been the community. At times, it can be caustic, annoying, and is generally filled with teenagers. I can't really blame anyone for it, though; I posted a lot of the same nonsense when I was younger.

I didn't realize that as much when I was a young teen myself, but I do now, and it really makes me wince. I'm glad to know that there are still level-headed people here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:54:59 AM by FireMan »

I've met quite a few nice people on here, many of which I've kept contact. I was decently immature a year ago(or less) surprisingly, but matured rather quickly once I lurked the forums and didn't get into trouble. Blockland has been a huge part of my life and I've spent many an enjoyable hour in this game. If it wasn't for this game, I wouldn't have met those who've changed my life, both good and bad, offering me plenty of experience and I actually plan to meet a couple in real life if I can. Unsure when I first played BL, was sometime a few years ago, played lan with my siblings. Never went online except for once, where we joined a random freebuild server, uncertain of what was to come, and to our amazement; Add-ons. We'd never seen a mini-jet, or a JVS door, or these new types of weapons. A little later we learned of something called the Blockland Forums and how to get addons from quite a friendly fellow, unfortunately I don't remember his/her name nor ID. I've always wanted to personally thank all those content creators, but I feel intimidated by them quite honestly. Or that they just don't care for something they've done years ago, I really don't know. But I'd still like to offer my thanks to those that gave to this game asking for nothing in return, making it more enjoyable for the rest of us.

I always felt that bitter feel that I can never return the awesome times i got from this game and it's community

i'm seriously in dept of this game, it literary shaped me as a person into who I am today

I wish i was as knowledgeable of Blockland back when i first joined as i am now. I could have been doing so much more to advance the game back then. Yes, it is true, Blockland is dwindling, the development is forsaken to most extent, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't make the most of it. The maturer people of the community can still work together on things, there are still people here, who are extremely skilled at making things. Vote yes for ID discrimination The fading out of a game is inevitable yes, but that doesn't mean we can't make the most out of the game while it lasts.

Also, Wrapperup re-made the bedroom in static shapes. Just a FYI

EDIT: Daprogs is also re-making RTB. Currently only chat servers but mod manager is coming.

I always felt that bitter feel that I can never return the awesome times i got from this game and it's community

Agreed. I'm very surprised by just how painful it is to see those things gone.

Also, Wrapperup re-made the bedroom in static shapes. Just a FYI

I saw that. It's nice to have it back, even if it is missing a few things.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:44:56 AM by FireMan »

I would personally love to be spending more time on making gamemodes but I personally dont know if I can afford to. I saw another member had a commission service going for his content, not that i even think one should really be paid for this content besides out of donations but I have other games I was wanting to make entirely, and I get angsty working too much on an addon to another person's game knowing it wouldnt be as significant as if I had made my own game. At the same time though I really enjoy this game and am always thinking of addons and stuff that I would love to make if I had time. I dunno

I love seeing thank yous rather than negative feedback this game has been getting

I'd still say this game was the best $20 purchase I ever made.