Poll

Whats the point of playing this if nobody seems to care?

forgets given: One
1 (50%)
forgets given: Zero
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: BLF Plays Fallout 3 [MASSIVE IMG HEAVY, SCREENSHOT LET'S PLAY]  (Read 39759 times)

This icon is for Out Of Character text. If I am feeling lazy, I will instead use blue text.

Yay, Fallout 2!

The Game

Fallout 2 is an unusual species of PC game, an open world RPG that's played out on in a 3D isometric perspective on a hex grid. The setting is post-apocalyptic, the combat is turn based, and you can pretty much go anywhere and do anything that the game engine will allow you to do. There are usually peaceful ways that you can solve just about any quest, and a sneak thief is just as valid a build as Rambo. For something produced in 1998 it was revolutionary, and it's still aged well enough to be entertaining today. I'm playing with the Mac version from Good Old Games, so that's going to produce some constraints on the LP. Luckily it's patched up to 1.02, which should eliminate some of the more egregious bugs.

The Setting

You could almost describe the Fallout series as future steampunk. The setting has a retro 50's aesthetic, with a lot of the tech looking like what people in that period imagined the future would look like. It's a pretty unique look, and gives the series a lot of its character. The apocalypse referred to earlier took place in an alternate timeline as a series of conflicts from 2060 to 2077, culminating in a nuclear exchange on October 23rd, 2077. Humanity was nearly wiped out, with a few scattered survivors living on the surface and others staying in great underground Vaults. 84 years later the Vault Dweller, the hero of Fallout 1, emerged from Vault 13 in search of a water chip and ended up saving the world from a psychic mutant. It was complicated. After succeeding the Vault Dweller was exiled from the Vault and left to build a small community out in the wastelands. 80 years later the village is in trouble and it falls to you, the descendant of the Vault Dweller, to save it.

These are Nick Walter's new stats. His SPECIAL stats are all at 10(nothing I can do about that, thats the character file I loaded) and he no longer has Fast Shot. On the other hand, his combat skills actually suck now. He is no longer a god of death with weaponry, but he is a god of death when it comes to social skills. Nick Walter just came straight from Fallout 1 and hasn't aged a bit since being kidnapped, so thats my weak justification for why all of his stats aren't absolute beginning of the game stuff.

The only way to save the village of Arroyo is to find the holy GECK, or Garden Of Eden Creation Kit!

What the hell happened? Where the hell am I? Dogmeat? Where are you? Why am I in a tribal village? Where did Ian and Tycho go?

Chosen One, find the holy GECK from Vault 13. Make the Vault Dweller, Nick Walter, proud.
B-but thats me.

17 hours of Exposition later
Apparently, this is some Alternate Universe bullstuff, and I am my own Grandson somehow. My grandpa self, Nick Walter, didn't massacre his entire godamn Vault, but instead shot the overseer in the face and left the Vault. The Vault 13 dwellers followed him into the wastes, and he established a village and taught them how to survive before comitting Self Delete at the old age of 78 by taking off his vault suit and running into the wild naked, never to be seen again.

Does this make Nick Walter a Time Lord or whatever the forget they call it on Tv Tropes?

There is a man named Kaga who should have been the Chosen One. He was kicked out a while ago because he cheated in the Temple Of Trials. Now he's coming after me, and cannot be reasoned with.

What movie reference is that when the guy talks about Kaga in the screenshots? Terminator?

What the heck happened to my equipment? My Power Armor is gone, my Alien Blaster is broken in half, the .223 Pistol has shattered into pieces, and pretty much everything is gone or broken. All thats left is my BB gun and some other stuff.

Shown above: Justification for why Nick Walter loses all of his stuff except for a BB gun. A wizard did it. Or the TARDIS.

Armed with only a BB gun, a water flask, a thousand coins, and 20 Super Stimpacks, I venture out into the Wasteland again to save my village I barely even know.

Go visit Hakunin.
He's got the hook up on the good stuff healing powder

He's got the hook up on the good stuff healing powder

"Chosen. Instead, you must listen."

This might take a while for a new update. I downloaded a new version of the Fallout 2 Restoration Project so I could use the Unlimited Party Members modification.

https://github.com/burner1024/fallout2-unlimited-party-mod

Only problem is, it is a piece of stuff. Install.Bat does loving nothing and the instructions/readme didn't help.

http://i.imgur.com/tlBH3qd.png <Followed the instructions exactly.

http://i.imgur.com/GS4QWOo.png <Install.Bat opens up a empty loving console that closes itself after 30-40 seconds.

If anyone can get this to run/install properly, tell me so we can get this back on track. Do I absolutely need unlimited companions? Yes.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:41:24 PM by tber123 »

forget it, the creator isn't doing anything/helping with the mod's installation.

Hook me up with some weed "Healing Powder".
Chosen, you must massacre the evil spirits infesting my garden.

I left Arroyo to look for the Holy GECK. Vault 13 should have one, but I have no idea where it is. My Pip-Boy ran out of memory had I had to wipe the data, meaning it can't tell me the location of Vault 13.

Mole rats! They still explode when I headshot them!

This isn't Shady Sands, thats for sure.

According to Torr, the bugmen are taking the Moo-Moos at night and killing them.

The Dunton brothers were obviously behind this plot. They told me to scram, and when I did they went to go grab Radscorpion claws and cut up one of the Brahmin that ran away.

I had to deliver justice by shooting their eyes out.

The Dunton Brothers have bad karma, so killing them gets you good karma.

I found Vic's place, but it was locked. The lock jammed on my first try to open it.

Sweet jesus, LOCKPICKING. Lockpick skill at 50%, and I should have a one half chance to pick it, right? No.

Vic had some nice loot, too.

It took 4 minutes of savescumming to open this door. 4 minutes of quicksaving/quickloading to open a door. I set my lockpick skill to 90% so I could deal with this BS less.

Some tribal named Sulik. Is being held hostage until he pays the debt of $350, which I can pay.

Sulik is, in a way, the new Ian. Except that this Ian is a Tribal thats good with Melee weapons and SMGs. That also means Sulik is going to shoot me in the back over and over again like Ian always did when I played Fallout 1.
Both Sulik(Fallout 2) and Ian(Fallout 1) are the first companions you can get in the very first town you find.

The spirits with me, fren! They be all around! Sometimes talk!

Sulik's sister has been kidnapped by either Slavers or the Enclave. In the unmodded version of Fallout 2 you can NOT rescue his sister. The location where she is being held was cut from the game. The Restoration Project restores being able to rescue Sulik's sister.

This is the Combat Settings menu for companions. Pretty useful.

They added in a option for Burst Firing controls. This should reduce the amount of times Ian Sulik shoots me in the back.

Next update:The Arroyo Exile Kaga returns for revenge

The update that doesn't have any in-character dialogue(Which is why everything is blue)

Geckos are massively annoying. They somehow dodge EVERYTHING if you melee them, which leads to slowly being slapped to death by a single gecko. I killed all the Geckos and refilled the thing in the shack.

Sulik gets a Submachine Gun thanks to randomly encountering a robber armed with it. Not pictured below: Sulik constantly shooting me in the back.

The game saw fit to give us only random encounters with Robbers so far.

This is Kaga.

You will be seeing him occasionally. He is a recurring "boss battle". After you shoot/punch/stab him a few times, he runs away and leaves you to deal with his bodyguards.

When he runs away, he dissappears into thin air sometimes.

Why am I rescuing a Trapper named Smiley? Because you can get POWERFUL weaponry and armor right from the beginning of the game. Specificly, the Bozar.

This is a crashed Vertibird with a Mr. Handy robot. It is unfortunately hostile as a result of the crash scrambling it or something.

Down the elevator is...... A huge robot with a semi-auto missile launcher! This thing can and WILL massacre you. It is accurate, the rockets hurt like hell, and the damn robot has enough Action Points to fire multiple times in one turn.

This is the Bozar. It looks like a scoped sniper rifle, but it acts like a minigun disguised as a sniper rifle. Very, very useful and overpowered.

Next Update: Discovering new locations such as Vault City and Gecko.

Stop by a certain small town if you ever get the chance.

Stop by a certain small town if you ever get the chance.
Get caught sleeping with Grisham's son/daughter(Devin or Mira) and you get stuck in a shotgun wedding. I will do the "Shotgun Wedding" AFTER I hit the party limit of 5(I have 10 Charisma), because if you get married with a party of 5, you bypass the party limit and can now run around with a party of 6.

The Trapper taught me how to skin Geckos.

After that, I travelled to the Den. I could instantly tell that this was a good place to own a gun, along with several dozen explosives.

Hello there child. What are you doing her----

YOINK! Orphaned Child stole a random item from Nick Walter!

G-give me that back, you bastard child!

TWACK!

Don't make me take off my belt, boy!

The Den is home to thieving little stuffs known as Orphans. Only way to get your stuff back is to either quickload, or have a high "Steal" skill. Or you could pump the kids full of lead. Or posion them with Super Stimpacks.

Normally you get the "Child Killer" reputation(shown below is the cut, unused picture) for blowing away Children. This causes everyone to hate you, even other evil bastards.

Sulik, however, is the one finishing off the children. If a companion does it, no Child Killer reputation. Fun Fact: Orphans won't steal ever again if you hit them once, or go into combat mode. They cant steal in combat. Unfortunately, Companions do not realize when you just want to smack someone once and will massacre everyone else. I was just trying to hit the kids once so they wouldn't steal ever again, and Sulik flips out.

We be killing dem all, mon?
Killing children is bad karma, Sulik! NO!

The Brotherhood Of Steel still survives. It seems they have lost most of their power.

Holy crap. A CAR!
Fallout 2 is the only Fallout game(Excluding Tactics) that lets you drive cars. Fallout 3 and New Vegas don't count, as they don't exist in the vanilla/unmodded game, and you gotta go to Nexus Mods.

I tried to buy the car off of the guy who lives here, but he needed some parts to fix it.
Not only does the car speed up Fast travelling, but it also has its own music. One of the best songs in Fallout 2 plays when you fast travel in a car.

Slavers Guild? Lets go check it out.

Vic is being held here. The Elder told me to find Vic.

If I want to free Vic, I can either

A) Abolish slavery(Blow away Metzger and all his friends)

B) Pay up the money. I don't have the money.

Since Metzger and his friends are all Slavers, I'll just go with option A and blow everyone away.

Next update: Saving Vic and fixing the Highwayman

If you don't plan on joining the slavers, attempt to kill them after freeing Vic.

Fun Fact: Canonically(According to the cancelled Fallout:Van Buren), Sulik never rescued her sister I think.

We killed all the Slavers and learned that Sulik's sister is being held to the West.

Smitty repaired the Chryssalid Chryslus Highwayman.

It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it.

The Highwayman is awesome. Its a godamn car that still works after the Apocalypse. It speeds up Fast Travel time by a HUGE margin. Instead of slowly walking from The Den to New Reno, you blaze from The Den to New reno at the speed of light.

Sulik's Sister, we're coming for you!

FOOTAGE MISSING

Sulik got reuinited with his sister, and the only thing I had to do was slice everyone in half with the Bozar. They(slavers) practically lined themselves up for the makeshift firing squad.

Now what?

Next Update: Vault City, Recruting Cassidy, Citizenship, and First Citizen Lynette.

Lynette is....... Not exactly my favorite character in Fallout 2. I always end up assassinating that bitch with Super Stimpacks every Fallout 2 playthrough I do. You'll see why.

You still doing virgin of the wastes?

Nope. I'm going to bypass the Party Limit by doing the Shotgun Wedding scene with Grisham's son, Davin.

Lynette is....... Not exactly my favorite character in Fallout 2.

"Perhaps you find clicking on me... amusing. Perhaps you will find the Corrections Center just as humorous."

"Perhaps you find clicking on me... amusing. Perhaps you will find the Corrections Center just as humorous."
"You know that Thomas Moore guy preaching in the middle of Vault City? How about he suffers an unfortunate accident?"

"Get out of Vault City and never come back. You're banished. GUARDS!"

"Cassidy, loot her corpse and run! We're gonna have to slaughter our way out of here!"