Author Topic: server sound download. need help  (Read 10060 times)

So in my server i have several MBs of sound that are almost required to have in order to have the full experience. Sounds include all gun shots, explosions vehicle sounds and Voice overs. Now what i want to do is make a file that has all these sounds in it, so that when someone downloads the file, they can join the server and not have to wait 2 hours (im not kidding) to download all the sounds. So in order to do this i have a couple questions: Will this need to be a Server, Script, Support or Sound addon? Will i need to include a .CS file to give datablocks to all the sounds?

Another thing that i could do maybe is just put all the addons that have sounds in them into one large file, but id need to put a password so that only i can get into the files because alot of the sound comes from a custom pack that me and a freind made, and i dont want people taking them, along with a few other addons hes made for me. I use Winrar, so how could i set a password using Winrar, because ive seen it before.

Anyways if you guys could help me out id much appreciate it.

It's not that hard to retrieve server music/sound files from the cache.db

what do you mean?
He means that you putting a password on it is useless.

Okay, then what is the safest way to be able to have the player download files directly, instead of downloading them from the server?

Ctrooper, you can't just make two threads and if the outcome of one is not what you are looking for, discuss on the other. Like it was said, if someone really has a hard-on for your music/sound files, he can retrieve them from the server add-on cache database.

okay, i made two threads because i wasn't sure where to put this type of question, not to get two outcomes. Also i don't care if they get sounds from the cache, as long as they don't get models, textures, and .CS files. Which reverts me back to the original question, how do i set up a direct download of my sound files, so players dont have to waste time downloading them at my server?

You can't. Not unless you want to give them your add-ons that have the sounds included. Also you can also get models and textures from the cache.

Okay, i guess i ll take that risk, because me and my friend have plans on releasing them. So would this file go into the players add-ons folder? If so, does it have to be a Sound, Support, or System Addon?

As far as i know, the name makes no difference.

As far as i know, the name makes no difference.
Names change how they're executed, and what they're classified as. If you want people to have the specific sound from an add-on then you need to give them the full add-on.

So name the Zip that has all the sounds in it Sound_CTroopersounds? that work?