A useful image for anyone wanting to model weapons in Blockland.

Author Topic: A useful image for anyone wanting to model weapons in Blockland.  (Read 7217 times)

"I DON'T LIKE THIS STYLE THEREFORE IT SHOULD NOT BE IN THIS GAME!!!!"
forget off. It's not your choice as to what someone else makes. Someone who wants to make content can make content, you can't tell them it's garbage because you don't like their style.
You're severely overreacting. When there is general consensus amongst users for one style, people should use that loving style. Yes, people can deviate from it, but it will probably look like trash and people have a right to tell them that.

You're severely overreacting.
No, I'm tired of people saying "This doesn't fit the 'style' of the game, it's therefore stuff!!!!" over and over. I've seen it for a few months now and it's really annoying because it makes people not to want to create new and interesting content because they feel put off by garbage like this.
When there is general consensus amongst users for one style, people should use that loving style.
EVERYONE MUST CONFORM TO THE MAJORITY. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Yes, people can deviate from it, but it will probably look like trash and people have a right to tell them that.
This is your opinion. Your opinion is not everyone else's opinion. Also, why haven't things like this, or this been hailed as 'trash' then?

why haven't things like this, or this been hailed as 'trash' then?
Because those fit the style. Tell me, does a super realistic gun fit blockland's style?

Honestly, this looks like stuff. Why would you want realistic looking weapons in blockland?

Ahh, that's much better.

Blockland has a disctinctive design style, I don't know how people can't see it, it's like TF2, it has a cartoony 60s style but atleast the community makes some fitting styled workshop models for it.

continuing the tf2 comparison the reason why we deliberately try to get people to not use realistic proportions is similar in principle as to why the awper hand had to be modified to fit team fortress' style instead of just being raw ported over with counter strike's gritty and pseudorealistic textures

Meh, ( @ Crispy ) the main off-putting thing about that is the colors.

Meh, ( @ Crispy ) the main off-putting thing about that is the colors.
and the everything else about it too? Seriously it would look like stuff, completely unbelonging.

Why do you think T+T was so successful? It doesn't look like that.

In this topic, people curse at each other because of polygons.

While I, personally, am a fan of items in games fitting the physical style of the games themselves, I don't really get too mad when people make 'realistic' looking weapons, aka high-poly ones.

I can understand where people who are opposed to them are coming from, I don't really do much other than go, "well its a gun and it shoots." because regardless of its model it's still a gun.

But even I know there's a point in which we shouldn't have guns that are too high poly. There's things that don't fit and things that really don't fit, and if we just start throwing in models with detail like that of facepunch ports, even I'm gonna be like "stop. chill out there." because if you take into the consideration blockland is a game revolving around blocks, blocky things, and even more blocks and blocky things, when you see these guns that look like they'd fit in a game more like a down to the core FPS than a sandbox lego-esque game, you've got to know that in contrast to all of its surroundings and the vibe the rest of the game gives off it'll either look like ass in comparison to the style of the game. or make everything else around it look like ass in comparison, and neither of that is good.

It's like how in cartoons, where there's conventional drawings and all that, when 3d animation is literately just dropped into it with a bit of glitter tossed over it and slaptastic effects meant to fit the vibe of lets say a goofy show, it'll look pretty bad in plenty of peoples opinions, including my own. That's generally the situation we're getting ourselves into here, because the style of high-poly and low-poly are so drastic, when you mix the models of both styles into one game, it's going to not look coherent. If things don't look coherent? Well they generally don't look good.

Take a security guard from half life source, and then give him a awp from counter strike, and you've pretty much got the situation that high-poly models in a low-poly game.

But regardless, if people are gonna do it, they're gonna do it. I can't stop that, and won't try to.

what if the weapon creator is original and doesn't want to make a loving gun

what if the weapon creator is original and doesn't want to make a loving gun
this is what we need. im all for this. laser weaponry? how about more melee weapons? hell, some more vehicle items (ex: skis) would be great too! if you're gonna make a gun anyway make it good and unique. grenade launcher? i dont think ive seen many. different rocket launchers? sure! how about the freaking flamer from fallout 3? hell yeah! what about a handheld version of that crazy airboat mounted gunship gun from half life two? how about the FREAKING TAU CANNON!?!? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

this is what we need. im all for this. laser weaponry? how about more melee weapons? hell, some more vehicle items (ex: skis) would be great too! if you're gonna make a gun anyway make it good and unique. grenade launcher? i dont think ive seen many. different rocket launchers? sure! how about the freaking flamer from fallout 3? hell yeah! what about a handheld version of that crazy airboat mounted gunship gun from half life two? how about the FREAKING TAU CANNON!?!? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

...90% of what you said is a gun.
We need more melee weapons, ones that don't suck.

ok you realize there's like one variety of melee weapon right

like the only thing you could possibly do with a melee weapon to make it function mechanically uniquely is make it do X damage, fire Y fast or have Z range

the reason why projectile weapons are so popular- beyond the whole 'blockland is literally ill-equipped to deal with melee weapons in the first place' thing- is that melee weapons all occupy the exact same place in blockland deathmatching's bullet-based economy of 'a weapon used when the target is excessively close in order to efficiently deal damage without accidentally hitting yourself'

like with guns there's lots of directions you can go because of all the variables involved like spread, target range, burst patterns, special effects (which admittedly could be added to melee weapons but wouldn't actually change the way players would *use* the melee weapon), impulsing, radius damage, bullet speed, raycasting

like the list goes on

with melee weapons the only real purposes you can apply are 'do damage to guys really close to you', 'do more damage to guys really close and are doing some specific thing', 'do damage and some detrimental effect to guys really close to you' and 'do damage to guys really close to you and have an alt fire that makes the weapon behave like an actual gun'

meanwhile ranged weapons have stuff like 'knock around enemies to manipulate the order you fight them in' and 'put pressure on enemies by dealing consistent but low damage to them from long range in order to force them to fight you instead of running away' or 'juggle enemies in order to make them easier to hit' or 'hit unaware enemies for lots of bonus damage' or 'assist in movement to flank enemies unexpectedly' or 'harass enemies in order to get them to attack you, then punish with another weapon' or 'debuff an enemy in order to make them easier to kill with other guns' or 'punch through walls to kill enemies who don't think you can hit them' or 'kill guys with melee weapons at several times their ranges'

they're literally undynamic, they can't not suck
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:46:43 AM by Bushido »

Sure there might be only one type of Melee weapon, but I press you to find one that hits all aspects flawlessly.
It hasn't been done yet.

I'd like to see a melee pack as in depth as Deadzone's, but as responsive as the TT melee pack.

As for the lack of attack options other than "do damage", I'd like to see melee blocking done right or attempted, I'd like to see burn effects, slowing effects, knock back effects added. The reason why they aren't options is because it appears nobody has tried anything like that on a melee weapon before.
It's "limited" to just damage because that's all that was done with it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:10:50 AM by Mr.Noßody »

if you give a melee weapon burn effects to the detriment of the actual amount of damage it does it makes the weapon literally less useful

like melee weapons have to be really fast kills in order to be worthwhile in an environment where the guy you're meleeing can just shoot you and if you set the target on fire or stun them or whatever you're not killing them fast enough (or, alternately, are getting a guaranteed kill that's dragged out for like 30 seconds which is even less fun because you have no control over the fact that now you're just dead) and the player would prefer a melee weapon that is just raw damage

like, let's say you're meleeing a guy and he's got an assault rifle or something that can reliably kill you from some distance away and starts to peter off some distance past that. you run up to him with an axe that knocks people back, and you hit him, and he loses like 50 health but is still alive. he flies backward like 20 feet

you are now further from him, which means that you have 20 feet to cross before you can forgetin hit him again, and he has a ranged weapon that can shoot you at any point during those 20 feet, and now he's aware of your presence because you just hit him with an axe

also melee blocking seems like a mistake. the idea of walking up to a guy and shrugging off his bullets because you're holding a sword in front of you is going too far to make melee weapons useful because not only is that confusing visually and completely nonsensical in the context of the way the rest of the game communicates things will occur (i am obviously doing damage to this person, why aren't they taking damage) people wouldn't even use the melee weapon for anything but blocking in the first place and, if you do come up with a reason for the melee weapon to be used in the place of a gun, the melee weapon then becomes overpowered

like you can literally walk up to a guy shrugging off bullets and just hit him and he's forgetin dead. like he's got literally no response to you refusing damage cause you're holding up a katana in front of your face, but the katana can kill him quickly anyway

like imagine that within the context of a gun. some guy's got a homing missile that he can shoot at you suddenly from anywhere on the map that you can't shoot but will find you and instantly kill you

that's not fun at all

Let me counter everything you said and assume that your on a server with melee only. You assume that the enemy will always have a gun when the idea for an in-depth melee pack is to be a stand alone pack: the point of having an in depth melee pack on in the first place.

But there's no point arguing with you.