Author Topic: GRTB : Return To Blockland - Update 2.5  (Read 63372 times)

Only thing this is missing is the ability to download mods
you should try to connect it to the rtb databases
This is true. I might do something similar to this later, but without authentication as DaProgs does

Seems nice
Thank you

not trying to rain on your parade but yeah

Please change the name to something unique like "BlockClient" or something.  Plus it seems a bit conceited to have the G there.

Eh, I feel like we should stop branching out and settle on one. Daprogs's oRBs is currently the one showing the most room for growth. There is a old forum image, functional forums, mod manager soon. A forum is only as useful as there are many people in it, so even if even one or more of these manage to get going, the userbase may be split up between multiple communities. This is why the world is going to stuff.

Please change the name to something unique like "BlockClient" or something.  Plus it seems a bit conceited to have the G there.
"GRTB" = "Gothboy's Modified RTB"
Thats because its exactly what the name says it is.
It's not a Brick Client.
Its not a Block-do-hitchey.
It's RTB - literally. I started with a fresh copy of RTB 4 and RTB 3.5
Repacked and organized for efficiency, with a new UI that i created
There is not a single name that suits it better.

Oh, not to mention:
A lot of the add-ons you use have what they call SERVER PREFS.
Good luck using add-on prefs, without rewriting every single add-on that uses them.
These prefs look for the file SYSTEM_RETURNTOBLOCKLAND.ZIP in the add-ons folder
If it's not there, you can kiss your server preferences (such as the Duplicator) goodbye.

Eh, I feel like we should stop branching out and settle on one. if even one or more of these manage to get going, the userbase may be split up between multiple communities.
This is partially true. However, I have never used DaProgs version, although the cache of the
add-ons database is quite nice. Although, as far as in-game goes, I'd rather not have to rely on authentication from an otherwise "unstable" server other than the Blockland Master server
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:55:16 AM by Goth77 »

If you want a client overlay that can replace RTB all you need to do is COPY OVER THE loving API CODE. All the rest of RTB's code isn't needed. You won't have to re-write all of the other add-ons. All you need, is to write the simple and easy as stuff API. Not to mention you could write in a code that looks for select code, so it can overwrite the check for RTB. Lets say you find the code if(isFile("add-ons/system_ReturnToBlockland/blah/blah.cs") in them, I can easily write an add-on that finds them in under 10 minutes. Then you simple change the line to, lets say if(isFile("add-ons/system_ripOff/API/RTB.cs") yet again I can write that code in under 10 minutes. This code will take time to execute so you could make it a one time thing, and have a button that can run the code, that way if someone has a new add-on with prefs installed they can re-run the code and replace what needs to be replaced.

If you want a client overlay that can replace RTB all you need to do is COPY OVER THE loving API CODE. All the rest of RTB's code isn't needed. You won't have to re-write all of the other add-ons. All you need, is to write the simple and easy as stuff API. Not to mention you could write in a code that looks for select code, so it can overwrite the check for RTB. Lets say you find the code if(isFile("add-ons/system_ReturnToBlockland/blah/blah.cs") in them, I can easily write an add-on that finds them in under 10 minutes. Then you simple change the line to, lets say if(isFile("add-ons/system_ripOff/API/RTB.cs") yet again I can write that code in under 10 minutes. This code will take time to execute so you could make it a one time thing, and have a button that can run the code, that way if someone has a new add-on with prefs installed they can re-run the code and replace what needs to be replaced.
*Sigh* You just don't get it. Even RTB 2 Add-ons used server prefs, however they were in the root folder. So when RTB 3.5 came out and switch to ./hooks/serverControl.cs, there still had to be a "redirect" script like your saying, to point to the new serverControl directory. How you think this method makes things any easier is beyond me. Add-ons such as
The Duplicator, Tier+Tactical, The Hunger Mod, SMM bodies, etc already use RTB's default serverControl directory. Changing it would be foolish

Am i the only one not complaining about the name.
I like it and i like what you have done. You got my download!

I'm liking what you're doing here, I completely support this cause. But please, in a later version, add the ability to download mods, because that's why I loved RTB. I guess it doesn't look too great, but OP could improve it... over an amount of time...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:51:58 PM by InvisibleName »

Changing it would be foolish
RTB is dead and should stay dead. Instead there should be a whole new system add-on imo. Even the server pref is and needs to be replaced. Greek2Me made a much easier and better API for adding prefs in his Slayer add-on, and it lists more prefs than the maximum of 5. You don't get it, RTB is currently stuff, and will remain stuff so long as people keep using the same structure code used to create it.

Only thing this is missing is the ability to download mods
you should try to connect it to the rtb databases
http://orbs.daprogs.com/rtb/forum.returntoblockland.com/dlm/index.html Use this

RTB is dead and should stay dead. Instead there should be a whole new system add-on imo. Even the server pref is and needs to be replaced. Greek2Me made a much easier and better API for adding prefs in his Slayer add-on, and it lists more prefs than the maximum of 5. You don't get it, RTB is currently stuff, and will remain stuff so long as people keep using the same structure code used to create it.
Odd, I don't have a pref limit. I even went around and increased the maximum GUI controls and elements from 50 and 100, to 250 each. I don't know why you think RTB has such a "stuffty API" when it runs off the same exact code as the rest of Blockland

You know that Greek2Me also made his own "slim" version of RTB, right? I even gave him and Port a special thanks in the OP. Studying those helped me better understand what I wanted to do with GRTB

Greek2me didn't re-write the API code for RTB in his slim version iirc, just the whole GUI and code for the server prefs is stuff. I love it's function, and I still use it, but imo it's stuff. I'd re-write the whole code for it, but I never host any servers so it's pointless for me to do so.

Greek2me didn't re-write the API code for RTB in his slim version iirc, just the whole GUI and code for the server prefs is stuff. I love it's function, and I still use it, but imo it's stuff. I'd re-write the whole code for it, but I never host any servers so it's pointless for me to do so.

I know, he didnt re-write any code, if very little. He removed code. He took out Authetication and kept the "Your Mods" GUI. Ports was slightly better, only because of the IRC client, but lacked the mod manager. If you ask me its a matter of personal choice

So this doesn't have server control?