Poll

Author Topic: I'm making a game  (Read 7288 times)

I'd like to see you try to make up a good coherent story, then.
Also why does Freddy's top hat have a little spike on the top? That's bugging me.

i think some advice is to stop making a game based off of FNAF

killer font and ms paint logo always shows how professional you aren't

find something else to make

i cant get sued because im not doing it for profit plus im gonna add credits

For clarity by IP I mean Intellectual property.

Without a signed paper saying that you have a license to use anything of that IP they can sue you whether it's for profit or not. While this does vary country to country, you need to be aware that you can't just start using characters from another IP because you are infringing on copyright / IP. The only person who is allowed to make derivative works is the owner of the copyright / IP and anyone who has a license to work with the copyright. I'm not saying that they are going to immediately sue you the moment they find you, but this is a very real possibility and you should consider it.

I recently had a class on this whole ordeal for my game design course and it's a really messy business if you start to forget with it.

suggestion: make them all ponies and get really defensive the moment someone says wtf

Without a signed paper saying that you have a license to use anything of that IP they can sue you whether it's for profit or not. While this does vary country to country, you need to be aware that you can't just start using characters from another IP because you are infringing on copyright / IP. The only person who is allowed to make derivative works is the owner of the copyright / IP and anyone who has a license to work with the copyright. I'm not saying that they are going to immediately sue you the moment they find you, but this is a very real possibility and you should consider it.

I recently had a class on this whole ordeal for my game design course and it's a really messy business if you start to forget with it.
I am 100% sure the creator wouldn't be that much a richard to sue him for something as little as this

I am 100% sure the creator wouldn't be that much a richard to sue him for something as little as this

But it depends right? What if this game takes off and people stop buying fnaf and they start to play his game. They will rain down like multiple nuclear missiles because they have that power. Money does funny things to people.

This is all hypothetical of course but still, consider it before you make something of someone elses IP. It's just be way safer for you to make a whole new interesting story and better yet, you get to own that IP for everything in it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:09:42 PM by DarkStride »

cant really sue here because hes not using the fnaf name

But it depends right? What if this game takes off and people stop buying fnaf and they start to play his game. They will rain down like multiple nuclear missiles because they have that power. Money does funny things to people.
that won't happen either
but even then, I get the feeling that this game won't get made in the first place
newspeed do you have experience with this stuff, im not being mean or anything but really, you might want to go smaller
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:14:46 PM by Boink! »

cant really sue here because hes not using the fnaf name

Contrary to belief, this doesn't matter. Characters, names, even their look can count in a court case. Especially if he puts them in the credits.

Again, I'm not trying to stop you from making the game, just trying to educate a bit on why maybe using an existing IP isn't the best of ideas. That and seeing a whole new story for a game is way more interesting.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:08:56 PM by DarkStride »

that won't happen either
but even then, I get the feeling that this game won't get made in the first place
newspeed do you have experience with this stuff, im not being mean or anything but really, you might want to go smaller
i have experience in gamemaker (which is why the freddy is pixelated)

i would actually say the form of pixelation makes it obvious you have no experience on the subject