4 (13.3%)
Around 1000
4 (13.3%)
OVER 9000
5 (16.7%)
Doesn't matter, just keep it blocklandish
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Trying to improve. (Weapons)  (Read 4790 times)

You've probably seen my models from "The Warfare Pack" that Ctrooper and I made earlier. My HDD crashed, and I lost all my stuff that I made. So, I have gotten my stuff together and now I am back to model again!

I am trying to improve, as most of you guys thought that my weapons was "too blocky", so here is a sneakpeak on a M4A1.

The model is 1658 polys.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:28:35 PM by bangbang »

nice and welcome back

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:44:52 AM by bangbang »

Nice! Here's your cookie  :cookie:

Nice! Here's your cookie  :cookie:

Uh, thanks.

UPDATE THING:

2,4k polys, too much?

~1000 is a good number of polys (that mainly milkshape since it basically doubles it due to triangles)
some of the cylinders dont have to have 8 sides, try using hexagons
also fix the gap:

looks cool though

i See the dawn of a new pack man.

~1000 is a good number of polys (that mainly milkshape since it basically doubles it due to triangles)
some of the cylinders dont have to have 8 sides, try using hexagons
also fix the gap:
-sniperino-

looks cool though

Awesome, but it sucks that MS3D uses triangles as you say.
I was recommended to use octagons, and so I followed that.
It might look like a gap of some sort, but I tried to make some sort of detail, that didn't turn out very well...

Thanks!
i See the dawn of a new pack man.

You bet!

Nice job!

Thankserino!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:21:43 AM by bangbang »

I was recommended to use octagons, and so I followed that. We all have our own styles, I just felt that hexagons fit the somewhat simple style better.
It might look like a gap of some sort, but I tried to make some sort of detail, that didn't turn out very well... Yeah if you wanna put details, they should probably be more drastic to fit the style.

oh hey your back

looking prettey good so far

It looks really great, make more! :D

And to address the hex vs octa debate, here I think octagonal looks better, although I suggest you try to incorporate hexagons and octagons into your next gun. The way I see it, the most important cylinders should be octagons while the less important ones should be hexagons. Since this gun really only has the barrel and the stock, there's no need to use the lower detail hexagons.

Also, it doesn't matter that MS3D uses triangles, because so does blockland, so if you use blender (with quads or Ngons) you have to convert to triangles anyway, so it's not like it's actually any higher poly as a result of being in milkshape.

In addition, I recommend you do fix the gap, it doesn't look like I detail so much as it looks like the mesh isn't one complete unit.

Also, put a second hand holding the front end of the gun. There's a tutorial about it in the modding resource megathread.

Also, put a second hand holding the front end of the gun. There's a tutorial about it in the modding resource megathread.
Just my opinion, but I definitely advise against this. No offense :D

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:58:15 AM by bangbang »