"Phantom of the Crash" (BL_ID 13105) another blhack user crashing servers

Author Topic: "Phantom of the Crash" (BL_ID 13105) another blhack user crashing servers  (Read 2823 times)

I was simply building some stuff in blockland and this guy had to crash my server. Luckily I saved before hand and wasn't working on much since

Got Connect challenge Request from 67.5.171.137:46746
Got connect request from 67.5.171.137:46746
  net name = Phantom of the Crash
AUTHCHECK: Phantom of the Crash = internet client -> internet server, regular auth
Auth Init Successfull: Phantom of the Crash
CADD: 297181 67.5.171.137:46746
 +- bl_id = 13105
 +- no auto admin
Posting to master server
Posting to rtb server
Slayer (Server): Sending Handshake: Phantom of the Crash
Random num 2
Trogtor: hello
Random num 4
Megapixel: hello
Random num 5
Phantom of the Crash: Hello........................ .....
Random num 1
Megapixel: Hi........................
AUTHCHECK: Megapixel = internet client -> internet server, regular auth
Auth Continue Successfull: Megapixel
Saving persistence for BLID 23897
AUTHCHECK: Trogtor = LAN client -> internet server, auth with server ip
Auth Continue Successfull: Trogtor
Random num 2
Phantom of the Crash: Do not say 21
Random num 5
Trogtor: 21
Random num 1
Phantom of the Crash: you have 5 seconds
Random num 5
Phantom of the Crash: save i suggest
Random num 4
Phantom of the Crash: 4
Random num 4
Phantom of the Crash: 3
Random num 1
Phantom of the Crash: 2
Random num 2

Important stuff in bold, BL_ID and IP shown above, also thanks Megapixel for actual chat picture

If you know who this is please tell me

Apparently it's Aftershock (Not the forum user)

Previous Drama on him

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=232375.0

Another person thinks hes so leet for crashing peoples servers.

/support

I'd like to remind people that my IP ban mod can protect you from these people if they are known.

Simply do the following steps once you're running the mod.
Do /changeipbanmode - This should change the mode to 'block'. If it does not then do it again until it is set to 'block'.
Do /banIP 67.5.171.137 - This refers to the person in this particular drama. Other known crashers have also had their addresses revealed in relevant threads.

And you're done. Block mode will prevent the user from reaching a connected state with the server, preventing them from crashing the server. Changing your IP address is enough of a hassle for most people that this is a legitimate defense against users like this.

I'd like to remind people that my IP ban mod can protect you from these people if they are known.

Simply do the following steps once you're running the mod.
Do /changeipbanmode - This should change the mode to 'block'. If it does not then do it again until it is set to 'block'.
Do /banIP 67.5.171.137 - This refers to the person in this particular drama. Other known crashers have also had their addresses revealed in relevant threads.

And you're done. Block mode will prevent the user from reaching a connected state with the server, preventing them from crashing the server. Changing your IP address is enough of a hassle for most people that this is a legitimate defense against users like this.
i heard about this earlier and already did it. thanks a ton

Doesn't really help after it happens.
Instead you should make an updated list of IP's of known crashers.
That way everyone will be updated.
Have it connect to something like pastebin where you can update it with an account, post new IP's of crashers, and have the in-game script check frequently for new IP's.
I understand you're trying to help but it's better to prevent it before it happens. Even if someone has to get crashed once before the IP is revealed to everyone else.

Have it connect to something like pastebin where you can update it with an account, post new IP's of crashers, and have the in-game script check frequently for new IP's.
I understand you're trying to help but it's better to prevent it before it happens. Even if someone has to get crashed once before the IP is revealed to everyone else.
oh yes please

This can be easily abusable, however. You would have to make sure the user placing the possible crashers is trusted and doesn't get carried away with putting in the IP's of users who they don't like, though I hope it is unlikely.

This can be easily abusable, however. You would have to make sure the user placing the possible crashers is trusted and doesn't get carried away with putting in the IP's of users who they don't like, though I hope it is unlikely.
If that was the case, the person being abused will end up contacting the server owner, and hopefully the forums so everyone will be aware of the situation.
However, I hope Pecon (If he ends up doing this) wouldn't do such a thing.

I like the idea of a global blacklist (or realistically, a 'warnlist'). The issue is that finding trusted people to run it would be difficult. I personally wouldn't have the time to keep something like that up to date. This discussion did give me the idea of creating a community-based trust service that would run like Web of Trust. People could run the mod on the server, and the mod would automatically submit reputation ratings to the service when players are banned. This would be on a per-server basis rather than per-rating to prevent people from spamming people's reputation down. Players with a low reputation would trigger a warning to administrators when they joined, with an option for simply preventing low-reputation players from joining altogether.

This is all theoretical though, I don't think I'd have the time to make the whole thing.

lmao just unplug and plug back in your router if you want a new ip

or even easier if you have a dynamic IP and it changes all the time.

A lot of ISP's will keep the IP address you had reserved for a period of time so that if you disconnect for a short period, your address won't change. Having an address that is dynamic even when you're online is pretty rare when it comes to residential connections. I should reiterate that banning their IP address is a defense against them, not a solution. The only solution is to actually fix the issue in Blockland's networking code which causes the crash.

The only solution is to actually fix the issue in Blockland's networking code which causes the crash.
yep. so add me on steam ppl

As Pecon replied, it'd be a defence.
Better than just banning them as the crash you.
At least this way you could potentially catch them before they actually crash you, and hopefully save in time.

-snip-
This sounds like an amazing idea, and I'd like to see this done.
If you need help with keeping up the blacklist I'd like to volunteer.
I might not respond right away when there is a problem but I'll try my best to do what I can do.