BRV: Blockland Revised [ C̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶e̶d̶ ]

Author Topic: BRV: Blockland Revised [ C̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶e̶d̶ ]  (Read 34092 times)

Thanks ZERØ for the logo
Blockland Revised

Features
Planned features will are subject to change, and I'm open to suggestions

Add-on Preferences
This is a must isn't it?
It'll be more organized than RTB's preferences, and hopefully won't break like they did.
It'll also support add-ons that used RTB's preference system.

Client GUI's
I've heard about people being able to sneak backdoor's into GUI's.
That's why I'll work out a method of having GUI's by sending the basic information for the GUI in a format that won't be executed.
However, this will likely be included in a later release as this is just an idea I had floating in my mind.

Colorset Manger (& Creator?)
This too is a must, and it might even include a creator.
However the creator is unlikely for the initial release, but it may happen.

Add-on Manager
This will give you the option to have preference sets, share them by a text file, and delete them.
It will also include the ability to download the add-ons if I ever get a web server.

BRV-Link: Friends & Chat Support
You'll have the ability to chat to our friends and will be able to share saves, colorsets, and add-on sets over the chat.

And again, we're open for suggestions.

Git
Help contribute to the development on this mod on git here.
https://github.com/LiquidProcessor/Blockland-Revised

Pictures
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 06:27:12 PM by Pah1023 »

Really hope this succeeds.

Client GUI's
I've heard about people being able to sneak backdoor's into GUI's.
That's why I'll work out a method of having GUI's by sending the basic information for the GUI in a format that won't be executed.
Such as like this.

Code: [Select]
GUI GuiWindowCtrl MyGUIWindow
title ExampleGUI
minimize true
maximize false
extent 640 480
position 0 0
GUI GuiSwatchCtrl
color 255 255 255 255
extent 320 240
position 64 64
GUI GuiBitmapBtnCtrl
Command Close MyGUIWindow
position 128 128
extent 32 32
GUI GuiBitmapBtnCtrl
Command CTS ServerCmd Argument
position 128 192
extent 32 32
(enough of that, you get the point, it'll be secure)
However, this will likely be included in a later release as this is just an idea I had floating in my mind.
You could also do simple GUIs with RTB, but you can sadly only ever do basic GUIs safely.
Colorset Manger (& Creator?)
This too is a must, and it might even include a creator.
However the creator is unlikely for the initial release, but it may happen.
You shouldn't make a colorset creator for it, as there is already an extremely good looking and well made one.

Really hope this succeeds.
You shouldn't make a colorset creator for it, as there is already an extremely good looking and well made one.
Thanks, I hope it does too.
And that's why I was debating on making a colorset creator, I probably wont.

Pah for BL president 2014

I may be able to do graphics, so when your selecting for that, sign me up.

Finally, an RTB replacement by a competent dev.

edit: Sorry, forgot about BAM.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:30:13 PM by Greek2me »

BAM started up again for like... a week... and now i have no idea whats going on with it :V

Anyways, it looks like your "safe" modified gui code still disallows more advanced guis (For example, it doesn't look like you could create the Boss Battles GUI with it even though that's relatively simple)

honestly, if you're going to have a mod hosting service it's probs better to just have some kind of system where a server can recommend/require mods while loading. that way you can ensure non-malicious code without having to have any extra work outside the normal mod review process. of course that's all very ambitious

I think we found the new Ephialtes.
yaaaay

Please don't die on us like what happened with all the other projects to replace RTB

If this makes it all the way, congrats. Full support from me.

If this makes it all the way, congrats. Full support from me.
Thank you
Anyways, it looks like your "safe" modified gui code still disallows more advanced guis (For example, it doesn't look like you could create the Boss Battles GUI with it even though that's relatively simple)
It won't be a replacement for all client GUI's, it'll just make it easier for simple GUI's to be downloaded to the client.
For something advanced such as that it'll always be best to use a client mod requirement.
honestly, if you're going to have a mod hosting service it's probs better to just have some kind of system where a server can recommend/require mods while loading. that way you can ensure non-malicious code without having to have any extra work outside the normal mod review process. of course that's all very ambitious
That sounds like a great idea too, I might end up doing that.
Please don't die on us like what happened with all the other projects to replace RTB
I'll try to not let that happen, I'll at the least give some warning if I'll stop development and post all the code I have for someone else to pick back up.

I have a suggestion, Instead of using the same look RTB Had, why not make it in the new Impact UI Style that Blockland has in the Start a game section and the one Slayer Uses?

Except that not all at a huge size and probably not impact.