Author Topic: Easy scaling method for modeling for Blockland with Blender?  (Read 13769 times)

/title
Maybe some accurately sized Blockhead model or grid size setting?

If you left the grid size settings default, then a 1x1 plate measures as 0.5x0.5x0.2 blender units.

But some actual method would be nice, also i am using 2.71.

But some actual method would be nice, also i am using 2.71.
What are trying mean by method?
There are Blockhead .blend models on the forum.

If it's to-scale, i'd be thankful if you would give me a link.

It's literally in a stickied topic.
I'm going to assume is properly scaled due to it being able to be used to remake animations.
You gotta learn how to help yourself sometimes.

I'm gonna be straight up, I don't think they're properly scaled

Same here. I was pretty sure that i was doing something wrong.

The scale in Blender is technically irrelevant as you can set your model scale when exporting. I've done all my Blockland modeling with 1x1x1 being 0.5x0.5x0.6 Blender units and it works with default settings. However if you're making bricks with General's BLB Exporter:
With General's BLB Converter from Blender obj exporter with brick north at +Y and bright east at +X:
   Scale by 0.5
   Rotate by 90 on Z
   +Y BLB = +X DTS collision
   Perfect DTS collision

And is there a default way in Blender to create some sort of assisting vertical grid?
I feel like making vehicles to brick sizes would make them lack 'personality', I guess you can say

And is there a default way in Blender to create some sort of assisting vertical grid?
I feel like making vehicles to brick sizes would make them lack 'personality', I guess you can say
  • Make a 0.5x0.5x0.6 vertical rectangle.
  • Delete the faces only.
  • Use an array modifier to duplicate it on the Z axis.
  • Another array for X or Y axes.
  • Move the object to the background.
  • Press N in the viewport > Display > Lines: 0 ; Scale: Something big ; Subdivisions: 1
  • Open the outliner, select your grid object that you made, press the cursor button to disable selection.
  • Turn on vertex snapping and model in orthogonal views.

Easiest way to scale is hit "A" to select everything, scale it to the size you want, and hit "ctrl-A" and select "Scale to ObjData."

Also, no, the blockhead model is not to scale, as I have used its hands/hooks for hands-on steering. I've actually considered scaling the hands/hooks to the proper size and uploading them here - that way, people could just append them into their projects easily.

I actually do believe they are scaled correctly. ONE Blender unit is ONE Torque unit, but not ONE brick unit. A brick unit is .5 width,length, and .6 of the height of a torque unit. Which also applies to Blender units.

In the object properties, you can see that the scale of this object is .5, .5, .6 (aka one full brick)
Using this scale, you can make the proper sizing of your brick or bounding box.

If you left your grid settings default... this should size up perfectly.

1x1 brick

Torque/Blender unit (notice it is 2 grid places wide)

Looks like a 1x1 brick doesn't it? Just a note: Blender's grid is in increments of .5, so the brick can work with the grid if you really want to.

If you want, I could make a torque unit grid that you can plop ingame to measure stuff, so you can measure your blockhead's height (which should be 2 TS units high, but i am not for certain)

To wrap up, ONE blender unit is ONE Torque unit, and ONE brick stud is .5 wide, .5 long, and .6 high of either a Torque or a Blender unit.

Just a note: Blender's grid is in increments of .5
No it isn't unless you've changed it. By default the grid scale is 1.0. (N > Display > Scale.)