Would people like to see a save-sharing website?

Poll

can't remove polls :/

a
b

Author Topic: Would people like to see a save-sharing website?  (Read 1086 times)

I've been thinking about making a site in PHP for sharing blockland saves. but that wouldn't be a small amount of work, so first I'd like to know if people are actually interested in the idea
describing it right now doesn't really need a lot of detail, because it's mostly a concept. I did start working on a visual layout for the site using bootstrap, but it's not even close to functional yet. and I don't wanna get truly started unless it's gonna be worth it

sooo would you use it?? if you're actually interested, feel free to suggest any extra features you'd like to see (knowing that kinda stuff before getting into it would be helpful)
if you aren't interested, however, it would be cool if you could tell me why. for that matter, it would be nice to know why even if you were interested

see this post
poll results if you're curious

furthermore, if you'd rather see an entirely different kind of site, let me know about that, too
for example, for a while I was thinking about a sort of clan management thing, where you could create a clan on the site (or make one for a clan that already exists, of course), and from there you'd be able to do things like apply to a clan, control who is in your clan, and so on. needless to say, the site wouldn't be able to edit your post on the forum, but hypothetically it could have features like a bulletin board code generator for a member list to make it a little bit easier
something else I considered for a moment was a site for viewing servers and rating them. that's not entirely feasible, however, because I don't know how I'd get information from the master server, so it'd have to have servers input manually by users, and it wouldn't be super convenient given the fact that I have no idea how to write torquescript (and have no intention to learn), so it would entirely be on a website
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:47:00 PM by Foxscotch »

because I don't know how I'd get information from the master server
http://master2.blockland.us/
It's just plain text
Each server is a new line, tab delimited

Yes do it
And make a thing where they tell you what add-ons were used if any

http://master2.blockland.us/
It's just plain text
Each server is a new line, tab delimited
that's a lot simpler than I expected. thanks
Yes do it
And make a thing where they tell you what add-ons were used if any
I couldn't do it automatically. I'm not sure how that RTB thing did it. I imagine it involved its large collection of brick packs. but I could certainly have a field for the uploader to list what addons were used, and then list them along with the entry for it

If you've ever heard of Blockland Revised (http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=270973.0), we were planning on the service to host Blockland addons & possibly saves. This would all be integrated into the actual addon where users can download addons and saves ingame, or on the (later to come) website.

But its really your choice if you want to work on this. Good luck!

If you've ever heard of Blockland Revised (http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=270973.0), we were planning on the service to host Blockland addons & possibly saves. This would all be integrated into the actual addon where users can download addons and saves ingame, or on the (later to come) website.
But its really your choice if you want to work on this. Good luck!
in that case, I won't worry about it. to some degree I was kinda hoping for this outcome, because I really do have other stuff I need or want to concentrate on right now. besides, it's needlessly dividing to have more than one of this kind of thing at a time. you'd end up with some saves on only one or the other, and people would just have trouble finding what they wanted
maybe I'll come up with something else to contribute to the community with eventually

I might even contribute to that thing sometime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
who knows. I know nothing about APIs though, so I'd have some learning to do before trying that

in that case, I won't worry about it. to some degree I was kinda hoping for this outcome, because I really do have other stuff I need or want to concentrate on right now. besides, it's needlessly dividing to have more than one of this kind of thing at a time. you'd end up with some saves on only one or the other, and people would just have trouble finding what they wanted
maybe I'll come up with something else to contribute to the community with eventually

I might even contribute to that thing sometime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
who knows. I know nothing about APIs though, so I'd have some learning to do before trying that
Dont worry, its not a problem. We are still not 100% sure if we are hosting saves, since we still need to get a VPS. If I were you, I would still hold on to that idea just incase. But if there were two save hosts, then I agree, it would be confusing for other people.

But you can always contribute to the Blockland community in some way. You can even contribute to BRV (https://github.com/LiquidProcessor/Blockland-Revised :)

Edit: Also, that clan management idea is awesome. There are lots of clans in Blockland, and it would be great for them to have a dynamic system where they can fluently manage their members, post news, etc. If you want, just PM me if you want to talk about it further.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:07:09 PM by Honno »