Author Topic: EV0_'s Server Pack  (Read 6311 times)

EV0_'s Server Pack is something that I made about half a year back, so please don't critisize me about things that could have been coded better.

Features:
  • Various /commands:
    • /kill [PlayerName]
    • /warn [Playername] [Reason]
    • /vban [PlayerName] and /unvban [PlayerName]
    • /LoL
    • /Action
    • /announce [Announcement]
    • /talk [Message] to talk through the console
    • /pm [PlayerName] [Message]
  • Vowel Ban.
  • Other Features
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:06:42 AM by EV0_ »

How do you expect people to know the "/commands" without looking at the code?

I'll do the work for you op:
/kill victim  (poorly coded, if you have two people "billy bob" and "billy billy" you can't choose which one dies)
/pm name message (same as above, although it's more excusable since it's kinda unavoidable)
/LoL
/Action (only supports 5 words)
/warn name message
/announce message
/talk message
/VBan name (again, only supports 1-word names)
/UnVBan name (1-word names)
/ESP (appears to be a help command)

And yes, I am criticizing you. It's the only way for you to get better.

Bleh. Ipquarx beat me to it. Whatever. I'll post it anyways.

For the people who are about to comment on this asking what it actually includes.

/kill NAME - Admin only. Admins can kill other admins, but not super admins. Not very well made. Doesn't check if the player or client exists. Any Self Delete prevention mod will break this command.

/PM NAME MESSAGE - Not that well made. Doesn't check if the client exists. May cause console errors.

/lol - Sends a colorful message to everyone saying "NAME has lol'd". Easily spammed.

/action WORDS - Badly made. Won't even work. Supposed to send a message to everyone saying "YOUR_NAME WORDS". Actually just sends a message to everyone saying "YOU_NAME". Easily spammed. Will cause console error every time.

/warn NAME REASON - Admin only. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists. Sends a message to NAME and to everyone saying that they were warned for REASON.

/announce MESSAGE - Admin only. Announces your message to everyone.

/talk MESSAGE - Admin only. Let's you talk through the console.

/VBan NAME - (Vowel ban) Admin only. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists. Prevents the user from using an A, E, I, O, or U when they speak.

/unVBan NAME - Self explanatory. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists.

/esp CATEGORY - A help command for the mod.

/forceRM - Force the next rotation message.

/regInfoPrefs - Don't think this works. It attempts to register another rotation message RTB pref.

This mod also sets everyone's clan tags to blank.

EV0. This is how you get a reputation as a bad coder; by releasing badly made/not working/untested mods.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:38:03 PM by jes00 »

Ipquarx beat me to it as well.  I don't know too much about scripting, but I could tell there are things that can be done better.

I don't usually complain about file size, but one thing I would also do is replace %chat1, %chat2, %chat3 with something easier like %c1, %c2, %c3.  Same with the others.

Also I'm far from an expert but is return; unnecessary in these instances, and can be replaced with if, else if, and else?

Also I'm far from an expert but is return; unnecessary in these instances, and can be replaced with if, else if, and else?
That's just a matter of preference.

EV0_'s Server Pack is something that I made about half a year back, so please don't critisize me about things that could have been coded better.
..?

would be when you downloaded the file i think
So I downloaded description.txt at 11:46 AM? Then rotationmessage.cs at 11:36 AM? Then I downloaded server.cs at 11:39 AM?

Oh look, I just downloaded a random file from page 20(ish) in the add-ons board.

Apparently I downloaded them a year ago when I just downloaded them today! Wow I'm a time traveler!

Bleh. Ipquarx beat me to it. Whatever. I'll post it anyways.

For the people who are about to comment on this asking what it actually includes.

/kill NAME - Admin only. Admins can kill other admins, but not super admins. Not very well made. Doesn't check if the player or client exists. Any Self Delete prevention mod will break this command.

/PM NAME MESSAGE - Not that well made. Doesn't check if the client exists. May cause console errors.

/lol - Sends a colorful message to everyone saying "NAME has lol'd". Easily spammed.

/action WORDS - Badly made. Won't even work. Supposed to send a message to everyone saying "YOUR_NAME WORDS". Actually just sends a message to everyone saying "YOU_NAME". Easily spammed. Will cause console error every time.

/warn NAME REASON - Admin only. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists. Sends a message to NAME and to everyone saying that they were warned for REASON.

/announce MESSAGE - Admin only. Announces your message to everyone.

/talk MESSAGE - Admin only. Let's you talk through the console.

/VBan NAME - (Vowel ban) Admin only. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists. Prevents the user from using an A, E, I, O, or U when they speak.

/unVBan NAME - Self explanatory. Not very well made. Does not check if client exists.

/esp CATEGORY - A help command for the mod.

/forceRM - Force the next rotation message.

/regInfoPrefs - Don't think this works. It attempts to register another rotation message RTB pref.

This mod also sets everyone's clan tags to blank.

EV0. This is how you get a reputation as a bad coder; by releasing badly made/not working/untested mods.
"Suprisingly" this mod was already tested multiple times (i.e. used on the server).

would be when you downloaded the file i think
Ok, let me explain:
server.cs: Removed a few un-needed bits that were WIP and probably never going to get finished.
description.txt: I added a description. I code with the description empty.
rotationmessage.cs: I forgot to mention that I stole this clip from MunksServerPack. Forgot to give credit to him.

Quote from: jes00
EV0. This is how you get a reputation as a bad coder
You know what jes? I am a (fairly) bad coder. I just started like 6 months ago.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:22:09 AM by EV0_ »

That's fine. It takes time to learn. But run your add-ons by the coding community first if you have to, actually completely fix them when they're broken(still broken: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=274140.0), and test them thoroughly before you release them.

I'd also suggest you to stop using support functions that you don't include in your add-ons.

reputation as a bad coder

he didn't directly call you a bad coder, he is saying you are on your way to a reputation as a bad coder. you could suck at scripting and never release anything and know one would ever know. however, as you continue to release these addons, you're only digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

i'd suggest checking with people who have more experience with addon making before releasing your own, especially if you openly acknowledge that they could have been coded more efficiently

Also what exactly does vowel ban even do?  Ban you if you speak a word with a vowel in it?