Poll

Is this a tycoon?

Yes this is a tycoon
This is a poll
I want it to be
No this is Patrick

Author Topic: Pong Tycoon (Update v0.3.1)  (Read 5805 times)

A Robloxian Tycoon in Blockland!

This is my 3rd attempt at a tycoon and this time i cracked the formula! I wanted to post this topic a few days ago but i wanted to finish a fully functional prototype before i started advertising it, because 2 times i just started talking about it immediately and ended up abandoning the project to research some more, i've been working on this design for about 4 years on and off, my first attempt to actually make one was in March 2013, (so almost exactly 2 years ago) and i called it Light Tycoon, it consisted of the player buying multiple light machine (look for yourself), but there were still many problems i couldn't account for and my entire eventing technique was sloppy and unorganized and spammy, so i abandoned it to research VCE and eventing more, hone my skills per-say. Then, like clockwork, almost 1 year later, I started Factory Tycoon, A similar consept with slightly better events, a more organized eventing system, and the ever hated VIP room removed. But once again i abandoned it because it was still to sloppy for my standards, and it cause lag whenever something was triggered. Now the time has come again to start working on my annual tycoon and this time i think i've got it.

How to play
(this applies to this prototype and the final product)

First your going to want to do is start a minigame, without a minigame the cash giver will not collect, and there should be problems with the IIS, so start a minigame.

Now you can get a tycoon, just run into one of the grey doors labeled "Become Owner", this will make the tycoon belong to you and only you can collect the cash from this tycoon and buy items in it. (thanks to the IIS, explained later)

Your Tycoon will materialize around you if you've done this right. You will notice that your name has been set as owner where it use to say "No Owner", this means that the IIS system is in place and you are the only one that can interact with your tycoon. Next your going to want to start your income, so you can buy the Ponger that should be to your left, when you buy something it takes the amount that it shows from the cash on your person, if you don't have enough cash, you can't buy it, but this first Ponger is free, so go ahead and buy it by running over the pad.

Once you do this, you'll notice that the black item that has appeared is bouncing a pong from the white brick off the other side and back before disappearing, when the pong disappears, $10 will be added to the Cash to Collect storage, run over it to collect your money and buy the next upgrade, which costs $250 and will add one additional pong, doubling your income.

There are 2 upgrades you can get right now plus an optional floor.

The IIS System

The IIS system is simple, it stands for Isomorphic Interaction System when you start a tycoon, the door saves your name as a variable in your minigame (and your cash in the collector, which is why you need to be in a minigame to play) and every time you go to use anything it will see if your name matches the name it's saved for that tycoon, so when there are multiple tycoons, there will be no worry of noobs taking your money or buying your stuff. Also when you buy a tycoon it does a check on other tycoons to see if you already own one, so you can't own more than one.

The Trickiest Part

Probably the trickiest part of making the tycoon was making it reset automatically when players disconnect... but after 3 or 4 years i finally cracked it. Let me show you something.
This is it, more specifically, the blue and red bricks. When you get a tycoon, the door sets up a variable in your player object called Ping and sets it's variable to 0987, and sends a relay to the blue brick. Every second the blue brick will use VCE to scan your player for this variable, when it does detect it, it will beep and glow for 0.25 seconds. When the player object disappears, (when he dies or disconnects) the variable is no longer present, the brick does not detect it, and the brick sends a relay to the red brick which clears that individual tycoon. I will disable Self Delete in the final server and any killing of any kind until i can fix this, but for now this is the only way, if i use the actual client, (which is not the player but the computer connecting) than it does not clear or reset when the player leaves.

Also as a side note, all tycoons can be reset at once with the Master Tycoon Reset button.

Have suggestions? Feel free to post them below! But if you have criticism please be nice about it, i don't respond to harsh comments.

Update coming!

I'm working on the next update to the tycoon prototype! This may include but will not be limited to:

2 more upgrades to Ponger
Another ponger
Walls
Owner-only door
Sealed Admin area (there will be an admin only door in the final server that will not be present in this prototype download)

Versions

v0.2.0 - Base
Includes:
One Ponger
2 upgrades to the ponger
Cash collector
Floor decoration

v0.3.1
Additions:
Buyable Walls
Buyable Roof
2 more upgrades to the Ponger
Ponger v2 (no upgrades yet)
Basic VIP room with $1000 cash giver(feel free to just f8 in)

and now for the part that you scrolled past 2 hours of typing for...
The Download
This download includes a ZIP file full of everything you need to run this save proporly, this includes:
The Tycoon save
4x4 Round flat
The Trueno colorset
Brick Text event
VCE
and the VIP room song (a song I looped myself and will be part of my future song pack) Vodska

I also added a few addons that are really useful that i feel people should know about.

Client_Mute
Event_addRelativeVelocity
Event_doPlayerTeleport
Event_MessageBoxOK
script_eventplus

Just download the ZIP file, and copy the contents directly to the blockland folder, and allow all the folders to merge correctly, and you'll be good.

So, have fun, just one rule, Please DO NOT claim ownership over this tycoon. I worked hard on this and I don't appreciate people stealing it.

DOWNLOAD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:56:03 PM by Yin Yang »

Hell yeah
Tycoons were the bomb back in '09

oh wow the nostalgia kicks back in

this is some roblox nostalgia right here

oh wow the nostalgia kicks back in
/this

I made something EXACTLY like this, except I was a noob at eventing and I only made 1 building. It at least worked, but still, it's only 1 building. (it was a defence tycoon, which are now stuff).

OT: looks p fun! gonna give it a try.

EDIT: Can anyone press the master reset button or can only the owner press it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:38:53 PM by Hawt »

hope someone can remake that lumber tycoon, that was fun

/this

I made something EXACTLY like this, except I was a noob at eventing and I only made 1 building. It at least worked, but still, it's only 1 building. (it was a defence tycoon, which are now stuff).

OT: looks p fun! gonna give it a try.

EDIT: Can anyone press the master reset button or can only the owner press it?
Anyone can press it, sadly, it's designed to clear every tycoon at once if that's ever needed, but in the final build that whole area is going to be sealed off to admins only.

Anyone can press it, sadly, it's designed to clear every tycoon at once if that's ever needed, but in the final build that whole area is going to be sealed off to admins only.
aw, I might as well download it and close it off. I see why you needed the disconnect thing.

so is it like a pong version of cookie clicker?

if it's anything like the roblox tycoons, you start with a machine that automatically will send pongs to the brick which adds money to the 'cash to collect' block and go on from there

This goes in You Nostalgia You Lose.

I love these Tycoon things, however, what exactly do we get to build?

ive always wanted to make one of these. very nice

no? you don't click anything. This is about monopoly, not collecting the most moniez