ABS FIESTA REDUX

Poll

period race

Author Topic: ABS FIESTA REDUX  (Read 1232411 times)

You're on leave in a Mercanan tourist city, not on base.
sweet jesus

I approach the group of airmen standing around, looking at some form of phone.
"Hey guys."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:01:08 AM by blockguy™ »

[Snip]

On the board are various refreshments ranging from lemonade, to iced sodas, and even some snack foods like chips and the like. They aren't bank-breakingly expensive, but they're a at least a dollar or two more expensive than they should be.

I ignore the glances from people and then decide forget it, I can afford this and pick out this year's model.
there's no holographic stuff on it i assume
After making the purchase, I start setting up what I remember. Wife's number, check, CO's desk, check... stuff. I think I'm forgetting something. I shrug and dismiss it as paranoia. I then head to my hotel room so I can pack my stuff in a brand new duffel bag that I completely forgot to mention myself purchasing at Jannsen's.

After purchasing the phone you're left with a grand total of fifty dollars. You check in at the front desk and are given the card to your motel room, 212. The two rooms adjacent are also under Mjolnir Flight, and you head to your room without incident.

I watch Steele purchase a new, top-of-the-line smartphone. The phone I'm standing over seems okay, the model being a year or so old, I think. forgetin' Mercana.

I eyeball an attenedent and shake my head to try to get him to come over. He comes over and says something in Mercanan. I stuff out my best bit of Mercanan and hope I wasn't saying anything absolutely obscene.

"[No Mercanaian]," I enunciate.

I show him the Asethian patch on my shoulder for good measure. He looks a bit confused.

It takes some more confused back and forth between attendants before they understand, and somebody who can speak basic Aesthian shows up, his voice heavily accented. You obtain the phone and are left with a couple hundred bucks more than Steele.

I take a look at the phones in the store.
I take a look at my flip phone, almost broken in half, screen cracked, and number pad printing fading.
Back to the smartphones.
I take a look at one of them, and back to the flip phone.
I buy the most recent looking phone.

I smile holding my new phone in hand, and then realize it's all in Mercanan. I open up its settings and switch the language over to Asethian.

I take a seat on the bench nearby the store.
I open the box and turn the phone on.
"Well stuff."
It's all in Mercanan.
I start fiddlefarting around with the settings until I come across the language changer, trying my best to understand what it says. I tap on it. A box appears, with language settings in the box.
I tap Asethian.
I throw the box away, put the charger in my pocket, and begin to walk towards Jannsen's.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:13:06 PM by blockguy™ »

Only after getting everything set up do I realize that everything on my phone is in Mercanan. I fix that after some fiddling, putting everything in Gothic.

After purchasing the phone you're left with a grand total of fifty dollars.
gg

i am back we can now conclude the leave and get back on track with actual stuff now when you're all ready

ok then fastforward a few days
You're all at the airport waiting for your plane to come in and take you back to McNamara. Some of your comrades that went on leave with you are still arriving.

"Hey guys!"

You turn around to see who's talking.
: Look at me, I'm a hot-stuff sub commander! I hide from fair fights and don't know how to shave! You're all barbarians!

I can barely hold in laughter.

: Are you having a laugh at my expense? That's disrespecting a superior officer! Lieutenant, get me my disciplinary aide.
: I really don't think it's the best idea to take that thing out in public, let alone at an airport.
: Always such a stickler for the rules. Might as well go off and join the Imperium yourself. So anyway, what'd you guys do on leave? I went sightseeing, bought a model of the Ark for my nephew, and got to talk to my kid and- uh, spouse. Which was nice.

The Tech Sergeant reaches into her bag, intent on moving swiftly past that last part, and pulls out a pewter model of this "ark". At first glance, it looks like a Mercanan temple mixed with a locomotive.
: He's obsessed with this thing. I swear, he's gonna be one of those people that goes trucking into the desert, never to be seen again.

thinking about joining maybe?

I should've at the start when the invitation was sent out