Author Topic: Meme Run has officially been taken off of the Nintendo e-shop  (Read 1731 times)

EDIT: Some people want proof that I am who I claim to be (though I'm not sure why anyone would care to impersonate me), so I added a status update to my deviantArt that I haven't used in forever. http://whynne.deviantart.com/

Hello Reddit. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the disappearance of Meme Run from the eShop, so I thought I'd help clear things up since its creator doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it publicly.

A handful of you might remember me, but (hopefully) most of you probably have no clue who I am. To keep it brief, I own the copyright to the Trollface image, and seeing as the image was the 'star' of Meme Run, I sent a DMCA takedown notice to Nintendo and want to try and settle the matter amicably. I don't really intend to have a discussion on fair use or explain my motivations beyond the fact that my business with other parties compels me to make sure that instances of copyright infringement are addressed and resolved. Typically the result in these matters is simply having the use of the image be credited, recovering some kind of monetary compensation, or simply have it removed from the work.

To that end, takedown notices are a necessary first step to quickly open a direct line of communication with the offending party and work on remedying the situation.

I did try to reach out to the creator earlier this year and obtain the information I needed, but he claimed that he was not at liberty to speak about his relationship with Nintendo or any of the particulars regarding the game's sales data. My lawyer had been busy working on another case (which I am actually not at liberty to talk about lest I void the terms of our agreement) and I prefer to let him handle the matter of my legal representation, so I sort of dragged my feet on actually setting this in motion so he could wrap up our current case.

So, whatever you may have thought of Meme Run, its absence might only be temporary. For those of you who were hoping to pick it up and missed their opportunity, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
-some Dingus on reddit

"troll face" is trade marked?

troll face being trademarked blows my loving mind

what the forget, this guy's entire sig is flatflyer. he even has enough art of it saved on his computer to make a collage of it whenever he wants to
is this the year of the canadian bird stalkers or am i missing something

It's the "flatflyer chronicles."

It was passed unto me by a brave soul, a hero.

reson can you go away again thanks

reson can you go away again thanks

Don't be hateful.

the copyright to the Trollface image

lol

After a really short google session, it seems Trollface is actually copyrighted material.
Link to the copyright page or whatevs.
I am not 100% certain of how valid this information is, but it seems to be backed up on a multitude of other webpages.
It even seems like this isn't the first time he did something with that copyright.

To be honest, it is pretty damn silly.
Trollface worthy actually, which is both sad and funny.

i didn't know trollface had an actual honest-to-God copyright on it until now what the forget

also
So, whatever you may have thought of Meme Run, its absence might only be temporary.
this sounds like a "you won" phrase for a generic rpg.  The Evil is Banished... for now.  like compare this phrase and the quote and you'll see what i mean.

im pretty sure the actual artist of trollface is pretty laid back on other people using it. after all it is a meme.

the only difference here is that i doubt the guy who made this game asked permission for it and hes overall a huge idiot and/or jerk

Don't be hateful.
your sig is the definition of hateful
dont you think thats a bit hypocritical

i didn't know trollface had an actual honest-to-God copyright on it until now what the forget

alsothis sounds like a "you won" phrase for a generic rpg.  The Evil is Banished... for now.  like compare this phrase and the quote and you'll see what i mean.
are you saying meme run 2?
your sig is the definition of hateful
dont you think thats a bit hypocritical
its crets, he's just using it.

its crets, he's just using it.
and? does it make it any less hateful? i don't think so.

reson whats with your obsession with Flatflyer?? I dont like him either but i dont turn my sig into a Flatflyer shrine lol