RTS or TD

Author Topic: RTS or TD  (Read 3145 times)

That isn't a qualifier for a genre at all, lol.
it is real time, and strategy
therefore I'd say it's an RTS
traditional RTS's have many units to control, that doesn't mean they have to have them though
I can't think of a single game that doesn't involve "real time strategy." That doesn't mean they're RTSs.
that doesn't mean that DotA and similar games are not RTS's, they fit the genre more than other games

if it's really a big deal here's wikiped to save the day:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_strategy

idk much about any MOBAs but maybe that'll help?

RTS: "Real-time strategy (RTS) is a subgenre of strategy video games which does not progress incrementally in turns.[1]"
Strategy: "Strategy video game is a video game genre that emphasizes skillful thinking and planning to achieve victory."
Strategy (MOBAs): "Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA), also known as action real-time strategy (ARTS), originated as a subgenre of real-time strategy wherein players each control a single character in one of two teams with the objective to destroy the opposing team's main structure."

In short, whoever it was that said that MOBAs are a RTS is technically right, even though that's not at all what OP meant when he said "RTS or TD".

I was working on a LoL or Dota2 gamemode for Blockland a while back. I stopped working on it, but really haven't ended the project. I may be interested in picking it up again.
I'd like to play it if you do. :D

I'd like to play it if you do. :D
Thank you! During stages of the months, I get random impulses to work on Blockland things. I'll add this to my list!

Marble Man(maybe?) once made a tower defense type gamemode. I'm not sure if he ever released it though.

Marble Man(maybe?) once made a tower defense type gamemode. I'm not sure if he ever released it though.
Ahh that's right, I think I played that! - and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that a castle?

insertname defense : easily replicated by events, essentially just an upgradable arena with players vs bots

moba does not deserve its own genre, its just a battle arena where the player controls a single unit
essentially its more of a real time strategy on a smaller scale
in fact it might as well be a top down numbers game
since numbers are the name of the game

i dont really understand the classification of strategy games when strategy persists in just about every game on the market

command and conquer atleast tells you from the title that its about commanding-assuming a leadership ominiscient role

what does starcraft tell you from the title? nada

the way we distinguish games creates a ton of confusion

insertname defense : easily replicated by events, essentially just an upgradable arena with players vs bots

moba does not deserve its own genre, its just a battle arena where the player controls a single unit
essentially its more of a real time strategy on a smaller scale
in fact it might as well be a top down numbers game
since numbers are the name of the game

i dont really understand the classification of strategy games when strategy persists in just about every game on the market

command and conquer atleast tells you from the title that its about commanding-assuming a leadership ominiscient role

what does starcraft tell you from the title? nada

the way we distinguish games creates a ton of confusion

It only creates confusion when people take the name of the genre literally. The same applies for music, and even movies.
People who understand the general idea of the genre aren't confused at all. When I think strategy, I think games like Age of Wonders, and Civilizations. When I think RTS, I think games like C&C, SC, WC, Stronghold, etc. When I think SRPG, I think games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, etc. And then there's ARTS/MOBA, which is a sub-genre to RTS, in which I think games like DotA, LoL, Battle Party, 300 Heroes, etc.

As you can see, each list of games has a lot of similar traits to each other.

Now to apply the logic of the confused ones in here to music.
We live in countries, why aren't the national anthems considered country music?
Is metal just music made with metal instruments? Is black metal just painted black? Why is that a different genre?

Movies?

So wouldn't every single movie be an action movie? Just like any game with strategy (i.e. not a slot machine) be a strategy game?

Ehh, I found this video called JVS Tower Defense. But its about 5 years old.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:40:09 PM by 24spark »

I could have sworn that he did actually release it, and since I remember having a copy of the gamemode, I'll upload it soon if I do indeed have it. It used static shapes rather than bricks too, so it needed a special support script I'll also include.

I could have sworn that he did actually release it, and since I remember having a copy of the gamemode, I'll upload it soon if I do indeed have it. It used static shapes rather than bricks too, so it needed a special support script I'll also include.
You should ask Marble Man for his permission to release it.

I found the topic for it but it doesn't look like it was ever released.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=228820.0

You should ask Marble Man for his permission to release it.
I have no means of contacting him, but if someone tells me he doesn't want it released (again), I will not release it.
I found the topic for it but it doesn't look like it was ever released.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=228820.0
I long forgot about where I obtained it, but it was publicly available at one point.
The file is Gamemode_Breaker.zip - newest internal file modified internally 10/6/2013.