Timer Events

Author Topic: Timer Events  (Read 5085 times)

Set delays on events

Adds the follwing events:

onActivate > Brick > setTimer (33-300000 milliseconds) -- Sets a timer for a brick
onActivate > Brick > cancelTimer -- cancels the timer on the brick
onTimerEnd > Brick/Minigame -- Called whenever a timer ends

Download

Made by this request by GMO Ferret

Edit:

300,000 milliseconds is 5 minutes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:51:49 PM by _cake »

nothing to be said but that it looks great

So rather than just doing something like
Code: [Select]
1 [30000] onActivate self setColor [red]
you instead do
1 [0] onActivate Self setTimer [30000]
2 [0] onTimerEnd Self setColor [red]

Or am I not understanding? Is there like a visual timer to go with it? Cause the only use I'm seeing out of this is extending the delay of an event by another 30 seconds just by putting a 30k millisecond delay on the onTimerEnd, which could be accomplished with either VCE or with relays.

So rather than just doing something like
1 [30000] onActivate self setColor [red]
you instead do
1 [0] onActivate Self setTimer [30000]
2 [0] onTimerEnd Self setColor [red]

Or am I not understanding? Is there like a visual timer to go with it? Cause the only use I'm seeing out of this is extending the delay of an event by another 30 seconds just by putting a 30k millisecond delay on the onTimerEnd, which could be accomplished with either VCE or with relays.
this mod allows you to have a 5 minute long delay, instead of just 30 seconds

which, you can do with vce and relays
but this is one event to start and one output
not... 5? 4?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:53:41 PM by Lugnut »

the other advantage is you can cancel timers too

Could you maybe expand the timer to have a time limit of like a week or something?  It would be cool for new years' parties and the like.

Could you maybe expand the timer to have a time limit of like a week or something?  It would be cool for new years' parties and the like.
The event would be canceled anyway. When you leave a server, all projectiles that you created are deleted and all events you triggered are canceled.
Also, isn't a week a little excessive? ;-; You'd be much better off just using VCE and chaining it with a time and date check;
x 0ms OnRelay Self VCEifVariable [<var:gl:date>] == [Desired trigger day]  [1 1]
x 0ms OnVariableTrue Self VCEifVariable [<var:gl:time>] == [Desired trigger time] [2 2]
x 0ms OnVariableTrue Self DOTHINGHERE
This way you just trigger it near the desired target time and a clock that goes off every second or two will do the rest.

But back on topic, this event is neat; Nice, simple and helps condense events down. The cancel timer event is super convenient too! c:

A week is a little excessive, but what about an hour? If it's possible to get a delay up to one hour, then creating server clocks would become a _cake walk (badumtss)

I'm just curious what the limits are on delays. If 5 minutes is the farthest it can go, it's still a fairly large improvement as Lugnut has pointed out (thank you by the way, I missed a 0 so it seemed like it was still just a 30 second delay.)

Made per request, I don't see any problems here
oh forget my bad, i was responding to adin

setTimer (33-300000 milliseconds)

the other advantage is you can cancel timers too
yeah, this is basically all that it has, but that's already doable with the cancel event

setTimer (33-300000 milliseconds)
uh... yep? 300,000 milliseconds is five minutes. idk if you skipped a zero when you were reading it or what

oh yeah i did, oops
okay then that's a proper use, but i think i'd prefer a mod to just extend event delay restritictions
guess that wouldn't be possible, though