Author Topic: SS Dogfight Reincarnated | Item Saving!  (Read 14155 times)

Thanks for the information, Val!

Also even though I am already an incompetent builder I am going to be taking that to a new level by investing what little free time I have into helping Jasa with a project that might help the dogfight when it is completed.

In the meantime I wouldn't be opposed to someone else taking the lead role in creating a new map for the Dogfight. I know that Conan has already put a lot of effort in improving his helicarrier and Guardian has shown interest in helping with the creation of a new build. I'll try to help in any way I can when I feel like taking a break from coding though.

Shappeh, I finally got around to testing that loadout script! I made some minor changes - you now simply set a certain brick name to prevent saving - but overall it seems like it's working well. Here's the new version: http://www.filedropper.com/scriptpersistentloadout

Val, I fixed the "jump-out-while-shooting" glitch. I *think* I've fixed the machine gun damage, but it's hard to tell.

edit: Also, bot damage has been fixed, so AA guns and rowboats can now be damaged properly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:22:17 AM by Greek2me »

i cant carry the entire project map on my own; although its summer i still am busy so i cant just build all day long

If you could get someone experienced with terrain to help out could you direct them to talk with me? although id love to singlehandedly build the entire thing im not available for that type of time investment

I made a post on SS so a few more people will see that. ^

The server is awesome right now - lots of actual dogfighting going on. I think people are getting the hang of the Combat Biplanes.

I found it made flying and dogfighting a lot easier when you turn down your mouse sensitivity.

A user, which I don't remember how to spell the name Gytyyhgfffff, pointed out that the accuracy of the Combat Biplane is a little off:

It looks like the the raycast is fired from the player's eye point, not the vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:47:49 PM by Shappeh »

A user, which I don't remember how to spell the name
my name is very good

I noticed that but didn't consider it an issue. There were a lot of people dogfighting in them earlier and they were managing to shoot each other down.

edit: It also makes strafing runs much easier.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:54:57 PM by Greek2me »

Some criticisms that go beyond my computer being a stuffbird -- the capture point system for winning is something that should never be done in dogfights, as it pushes people to focus more on using vehicles exclusively for transport rather than dogfighting.  This was an issue in TheBrighterDark's dogfight as well, there's too much pressure to cap rather than fly around and battle others in the sky.

Why not go back to the canyon style dogfight SS had up?  As I recall it had little islands scattered around, instead of 2 large, unappealing ones centered between the ships.

And lastly, back in the days when dogfighting in SS servers was the most enjoyable, we had the classic weapons.  Kaje's sniper, ephi's shotgun, original gun, RL, etc.  They're primitive but work the most in stunt planes, and that's why people used them.  Jorgur's dogfight was hands down the most successful, and he used exclusively those older, more entertaining weapons.

there has to be a way to make dogfights more modern but not so focused on CP like that. The new map I was thinking of would use MAS vehicles and take place on floating islands, where combat is basically required to be in the sky as there's no way to get around otherwise. the way MAS vehicles are designed supports air combat due to the very useful vehicle weapons that stay in vehicles, rather than giving players strong weapons to use in vehicles (and thus end up being used for combat)

I noticed that but didn't consider it an issue. There were a lot of people dogfighting in them earlier and they were managing to shoot each other down.

edit: It also makes strafing runs much easier.
it makes it really hard to shoot anything in the air because you have no clue where the bullets decide to go

Why not go back to the canyon style dogfight SS had up?  As I recall it had little islands scattered around, instead of 2 large, unappealing ones centered between the ships.

And lastly, back in the days when dogfighting in SS servers was the most enjoyable, we had the classic weapons.  Kaje's sniper, ephi's shotgun, original gun, RL, etc.  They're primitive but work the most in stunt planes, and that's why people used them.  Jorgur's dogfight was hands down the most successful, and he used exclusively those older, more entertaining weapons.

I would like to recreate the canyon. It was just the carriers, a floating dock in the center, and a hangar on the side, though.

As for Jorgur's Dogfight, I was never a massive fan of it, but the default weapons are okay. I like the current T+T ones, too. The current Combat Biplanes provide much more air-to-air fighting than the stunt planes ever did, and I saw a huge amount of (successful) dogfighting going on today.

it makes it really hard to shoot anything in the air because you have no clue where the bullets decide to go
You know that they always go just below the crosshair. It's pretty simple.

How about large floating "zones" that can be captured when you enter them for a certain amount of time? The Trigger class adds a nice built-in tick feature that can be used to increment the capture percentage. These capture points should be close to air defenses so ground units can have an edge.

The example in the first image is a bad example; rarely will you be attacking a target that is below you. Instead, Greek2me, consider when an enemy you are pursuing banks. When you bank to counter the new movement your aim will be shooting behind the enemy's plane.

How about large floating "zones" that can be captured when you enter them for a certain amount of time? The Trigger class adds a nice built-in tick feature that can be used to increment the capture percentage. These capture points should be close to air defenses so ground units can have an edge.
The example in the first image is a bad example; rarely will you be attacking a target that is below you. Instead, Greek2me, consider when an enemy you are pursuing banks. When you bank to counter the new movement your aim will be shooting behind the enemy's plane.

I remember the zone idea from a while ago! Yeah, maybe we can try to set something up.
Edit: The problem here is that it's hard for players to actually tell where the zone begins and ends. Also, what would the mechanics of this be? It can only be controlled if your team is the only one with planes in the sky there?

Good example; I'll look at the Combat Biplane script and see what it's actually doing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:54:38 PM by Greek2me »

The problem here is that it's hard for players to actually tell where the zone begins and ends. Also, what would the mechanics of this be? It can only be controlled if your team is the only one with planes in the sky there?
Use of a special emitter might help. Maybe even like a beacon, similar to an airdrop beacon, just to show the general location of the zone. To capture the zone, just outnumber the enemies or do you think that will be too imbalanced?