Author Topic: [UPDATE 0.3.0] Playable Instruments [BETA]  (Read 28818 times)

Thanks Electrk.

How easy would it be to make it so bots/bricks (or even players) could "play" phrases and songs through events? Such as:
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_playPhrase [instrument] [manual/from file] [phrase/filename]
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_playSong [instrument] [manual/from file] [song/filename]
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_stopPlaying

Would be great if I could play my keyboard irl while the sounds are played in bockland hehe. I would host piano concerts.

Thanks Electrk.

How easy would it be to make it so bots/bricks (or even players) could "play" phrases and songs through events? Such as:
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_playPhrase [instrument] [manual/from file] [phrase/filename]
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_playSong [instrument] [manual/from file] [song/filename]
  • fxDTSBrick / bot -> PI_stopPlaying

It shouldn't be too hard.
I don't know if I want to do it for bricks, though...

It would be good for bots.  Bricks playing musical instruments would just be weird.

Maybe have it a separate add-on that requires this add-on :)

Music boxes
Player pianos
Sequencers
Drum machines

Humanity already has machines which play music, so it shouldn't be too unfamiliar to have bricks able to "play" music...

But even if it's just bots, that would be great for single-player jam sessions/NPC bard-type characters.

also needed to create an instrument that has a higher range (forget stopping at C6)
which led to finding a way to quickly export and rename 72 files (C2 - B7 (curious as to why it's backwards, e.g. 2C, 7B))

in case anyone wants to know:
OpenMPT allows each channel to be exported individually, so I created a 72 channel tracker module (http://justfilehosting.space/download.php?f=gspep) to export per channel.
so it then creates all of these, and I made a script that could quickly and correctly rename the files to their correct names (source)

it's PHP because i know that language the best and could quickly create a script using it

made these
Choir
Organ
Square synth
Steel drum
Trombone
Xylophone

EDIT: these are all 32-bit wav files, my bad. i'll fix them if they're wanted
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:49:37 PM by TheBlackParrot »

Would be great if I could play my keyboard irl while the sounds are played in bockland hehe. I would host piano concerts.

I did this with a Launchpad last year, it's pretty cool. It'd effectively be the same for a keyboard (only well, more notes :cookieMonster:).

I'm just gonna lay it on the line: these are bad.  They sound like basic SC-55 MIDI instruments, which is, suffice to say, not the level of quality we're going for.  They're also pretty poorly-cut, ending suddenly instead of fading briefly.

As for the note ranges, we keep them within a 2-to-3 octave limit due to filesize and datablock concerns.  These are absurd.

On top of all that, most of them are pretty redundant in some way:
  • Choir: Already a vocal soundset (Microphone)
  • Organ: Pretty similar to Synth, but I can definitely see the merit of an organ soundset, just maybe not this one.
  • Square synth: Too similar to Game Boy
  • Steel drum: Already is a steel drum soundset, but Electrk never included it for some reason.
  • Trombone: Already a brass soundset.
  • Xylophone: Too similar to Marimba

Sorry, hamburger.

also needed to create an instrument that has a higher range (forget stopping at C6)
we keep them within a 2-to-3 octave limit due to filesize and datablock concerns.

which led to finding a way to quickly export and rename 72 files (C2 - B7 (curious as to why it's backwards, e.g. 2C, 7B))

it's only backwards for alphabetical sorting
it looks better when you're looking at the files all in order

• Steel drum: Already is a steel drum soundset, but Electrk never included it for some reason.

you gave me the sounds almost a year ago and I haven't done anything with them

oops :cookieMonster:

Here, this should work
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:49:24 AM by Electrk. »

i wasn't exactly expecting you to use them, i was expecting others to
but anyways

I'm just gonna lay it on the line: these are bad.  They sound like basic SC-55 MIDI instruments, which is, suffice to say, not the level of quality we're going for.  They're also pretty poorly-cut, ending suddenly instead of fading briefly.

As for the note ranges, we keep them within a 2-to-3 octave limit due to filesize and datablock concerns.  These are absurd.

On top of all that, most of them are pretty redundant in some way:
  • Organ: Pretty similar to Synth, but I can definitely see the merit of an organ soundset, just maybe not this one.
  • Trombone: Already a brass soundset.
  • Xylophone: Too similar to Marimba

Sorry, hamburger.

i'll lay everything on the line as well:
They sound like basic SC-55 MIDI instruments, which is, suffice to say, not the level of quality we're going for
everything you're using already sounds like a midi instrument, so i feel like that's irrelevant

They're also pretty poorly-cut, ending suddenly instead of fading briefly.
fixing them cutting out would literally take 1 second to fix, that's not as big of a deal
they also fade, they don't cut.

well, yours are more absurd

pretty sure a 6th octave on some instruments wouldn't hurt at this point

it's very limiting to be making songs from C3 --> C6, especially in the 6th octave.

• Choir: you've got oohs, i've got aahs. oohs =/= aahs
  • Square synth: ...what? these aren't even remotely similar (Gameboy also sounds like stuff (it also cuts out))

i prefer cheeseburgers anyways

they also fade, they don't cut.

Okay, somehow the way I was playing them back at first was cutting them off akwardly.  Sorry about that.  My other points stand, though.

everything you're using already sounds like a midi instrument, so i feel like that's irrelevant

Many of the soundsets are technically "MIDI" by some stretch of the imagination, but they come from high-quality soundfonts.  A couple (banjo, harmonica, melodica) are even edited from live recordings of my instrument collection.  Taking sounds from Roland SC-55 is pretty much the worst thing you could do, quality-wise.

well, yours are more absurd

pretty sure a 6th octave on some instruments wouldn't hurt at this point

it's very limiting to be making songs from C3 --> C6, especially in the 6th octave.
  • Choir: you've got oohs, i've got aahs. oohs =/= aahs
  • Square synth: ...what? these aren't even remotely similar (Gameboy also sounds like stuff (it also cuts out))
Now you're just grasping at straws.

Now you're just grasping at straws.
how am i grasping at straws? you made an argument about filesizes being absurd when yours are larger than mine are.
i feel it's stupid arguing over it anyways, blockland should be able to download a 1.5MB set in less than a second now-a-days
but of course
torque

giving a 6th octave to a few instruments (a whole 11 datablocks) that could easily be heard using the 6th octave (wind instruments would be a good example) wouldn't be a big deal. drop a portion of the 3rd octave if need be, let the bass instruments use that.

Okay, somehow the way I was playing them back at first was cutting them off akwardly.  Sorry about that.
it's fine

Many of the soundsets are technically "MIDI" by some stretch of the imagination, but they come from high-quality soundfonts.  A couple (banjo, harmonica, melodica) are even edited from live recordings of my instrument collection.  Taking sounds from Roland SC-55 is pretty much the worst thing you could do, quality-wise.

us linux users usually don't have anything by default, so we also use soundfonts
i just got what i could get to easily, if i wanted to look around for better quality ones to use with OpenMPT, i could. these were more of "hey my idea works, here's an example"

EDIT: i wouldn't have lashed out as much if it weren't for the "Sorry, hamburger." at the end, it came off to me as snarky

EDIT: i wouldn't have lashed out as much if it weren't for the "Sorry, hamburger." at the end, it came off to me as snarky

I thought maybe injecting a bit of silliness would soften the blow