Author Topic: How to keep motivation?  (Read 1079 times)

I want to work on a thing in blockland but whenever I change steam account im like "mehh, forget it" and switch back. Or I start building like 5 minutes, realize how stuffty it looks and just alt f4 out of the game.
So how does one keep his motivation?

By executing the idea good

Go at your own pace, don't push yourself to get things done and if you're not having fun building / making the part you're building then switch to another. Listen to chilled out music and take regular breaks. Give yourself a max amount of time you can spend per day on it and then you'll look forward to it more.

slam a gun on your table and keep a mental note that if you don't make significant progress, you have to shoot yourself
works for me

slam a gun on your table and keep a mental note that if you don't make significant progress, you have to shoot yourself
works for me
Noted. 10/10

Go at your own pace, don't push yourself to get things done and if you're not having fun building / making the part you're building then switch to another. Listen to chilled out music and take regular breaks. Give yourself a max amount of time you can spend per day on it and then you'll look forward to it more.
Thank you, this might work. I usually start "huge" projects and never finish them.
I'm suprised I finished my post apoc map somehow.

Give me a 10 hour youtube video and its done in no time ;)

sometimes you can't rely on that desire to work staying for as long as you need it to

the best thing is to just do it, and somehow hold yourself accountable. maybe get other people in on it that'll help make sure work is getting done (and they can also help move things along more quickly and work on things you might not enjoy as much as them)

you can get a calendar or something and mark off every day that you work, and don't break the chain. that's something a lot of people do to keep their personal work consistent and efficient.

also, if it's something you'll ultimately be able to play with, it really helps if you can somehow get at least a prototype working. for one, it helps you know if your idea is actually going to be fun and functional, and for another, it means that all your work is going to be building off of an already-playable platform, and you can test things right away, and have fun doing it. this also means that you'll have a better idea of what the project could use to make it more interesting through actual experience with it, rather than just theory.

sometimes you can't rely on that desire to work staying for as long as you need it to
This is a good point actually, on projects sometimes it comes down to making yourself disciplined instead of motivated. But that's better to do for other things in life, I wouldn't go out my way to be a disciplined Blockland player - it's only a game after all, and games are for fun :)

listen to music constantly.

work on something every day until working on it becomes routine, until it becomes finished. it doesn't have to be a large amount of time too, just work on it little by little

i managed to work on a blockland project for two months constantly through this
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:33:57 PM by The Resonte! »

listen to music constantly.

This is what I do. I have 3 different playlists that are an average of I think 6 hours long, each. So a total of 18 hours.

It's okay man, I know this feel

I've been trying to work on a speedkart track but I can't because I can't make the canyon walls look good

definitely not a subtle help beg

I've been trying to work on a speedkart track but I can't because I can't make the canyon walls look good

definitely not a subtle help beg
if you're using modter do something similar to the hydro map that was including in speedkart

if you're using modter do something similar to the hydro map that was including in speedkart

I'll try this, but I should mention about a third of the track takes place on the canyon walls

the player begins on the ground and works their way up

it's a neat concept but unfortunately I'm the one who is building it

I get this all the time. I've started at least ten apocalypse maps, gotten halfway through and then getting bored and scrapping everything. Listen to music, and just power your way through, even if you don't want to. Of course, do take breaks, but not too often. Watching the 'JUST DO IT' video really helps me.