Author Topic: How dangerous is it to disable PSU fan?  (Read 7817 times)

Off topic bullstuff.

On topic, please.

Most PC savvy people(to the point of taking apart a power supply by yourself at 16) aren't exactly going to be the most fit humans out there.
I don't think "PC Savvy" is what I'd call someone who has to ask if it's a bad idea to stick a screw in a fan

On topic, please.
There's nothing more to say on topic. Your question has been answered. Don't do it. Take it outside.

Off topic bullstuff.

On topic, please.
it's not off topic if we're arguing whether or not you should be working with a psu

A single case isn't not proof enough that it's a highly dangerous thing. You're not going to drowned in any puddle you see after that one guy managed it.
Current stops the heart. The amount of current that capacitors in a power supply are rated for is enough to stop any heart, weak or strong.

Lmfao are you really upset? I already said that yes it would cause serious damage, but it should not kill the average human. Maybe it's because my line of work, but I know for a fact that people are more resilient than you all seem to think.
Well aren't you a cold reader. Must run in your family along with severe autism.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is a PSU?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is a PSU?
power supply unit
Power Supply Unit.
forget

Is it dangerous if I were to put a screw stopping the problematic fan from spinning?

Well aren't you a cold reader. Must run in your family along with severe autism.
I mean I work with people who've had catastrophic losses for an insurance company and still have one of the highest customer satisfaction rates in my region for the job, but that's cool. It's also not like all the jobs I've ever done have required me to have some serious social graces and unreal levels of patience or anything either.

But that's cool, you do you I guess.

forget it, I cut the cables of the fan and screwed another one on the outside. I'll just leave this unlocked so you guys can keep arguing whether capacitors can kill a human bean or not.

forget it, I cut the cables of the fan and screwed another one on the outside. I'll just leave this unlocked so you guys can keep arguing whether capacitors can kill a human bean or not.
As it happens, you can open up the power supply and there is a fan power connector there. You can attach your new fan to the connector on the inside.

You probably should have just unplugged it if possible. What are you gonna do if it turns out you needed the fan after all?

That's cool, never knew it had an inner connector.

Tell me. In what situation would I ever need a fan from 1995?

As it happens, you can open up the power supply and there is a fan power connector there. You can attach your new fan to the connector on the inside.
I connected this fan to the system fan4 pinout.

That's cool, never knew it had an inner connector.
Yeah, I've done something similar before. The fan on the PSU was noisy, so I opened it up, removed it, and replaced it.