how do you feel about our school system?

Author Topic: how do you feel about our school system?  (Read 1754 times)

I thought people already got a choice on what classes they take
some are required, some aren't
there are still choices

So basically you're okay with being stuck for life on the career you choose in high school?
yes
it's not like i'm 9 and want to be a superhero or some stuff
i've got priorities

as someone who gets decent grades, yes

not because "wah english is boring", but just the sheer fact that no kid's really learning

like instead of having a-f at my district, we do this thing called "1 - 4" where 1 is the worst grade and 4 is the best - which pretty much lets the school redefine grades to make it look like their school is doing better

actually, allow me to elaborate on that - an f is a 1, but the rest of them are c - a, therefore allowing the school district to say "everyone's getting a B" where they're really getting a D, but due to the vague definitions of the numbers, the district can make themselves (and most of the state) look better even though the kid's doing terrible and needs serious help

also, I really hate the "no child left behind" stuff - instead of focusing on every student and making sure everyone can reach their maximum potential, they only focus on the problem children who screw around in class and get no work done, while the kids getting good grades get no attention and therefore, get in trouble more for smaller things and anger the teachers for dropping below like a 96%

basically saying, we're not trying to advance a new generation, we're trying to herd them into average sheeple

it kind of feels corrupt to me because why do we need to know advanced math and science if you're not going to have a career that focuses on that.
Exactly.

i don't see how i need to know trigonometry and geometry to live my life. it really sucks because in my state you have to have 4 math credits to graduate. that's algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, and trig. i'm a junior and i haven't passed geometry yet because math is really difficult for me.
Geometry is probably the most practical math you can use
I don't believe people can be intrinsically terrible at math. The problem is usually that the foundation of their math knowledge is very weak, they were taught it poorly or not explained why and how important things worked. You should get a tutor or do khan academy or something.

Trig is often intertwined with advanced algebra, and algebra is probably the most important mathematical tool for anyone to have, even if they're not in a math career.

yes
it's not like i'm 9 and want to be a superhero or some stuff
i've got priorities
70 percent of students change major after enrollment, study finds
the ramifications of this would be terrible, if you decided to try and be a chemist at grade 9 only to find that you hated it, now you aren't even GED level. you have very specialized knowledge and can do nothing with it. if 70% of college freshman aren't able to make a final decision, how can we expect 9th graders to do any better?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:53:22 PM by ultimamax »

i've literally been told by my math teachers that anything after algebra is meaningless. i don't really see how useful geometry would be to me unless i was into landscaping or engineering

the school system may be terrible but it has nothing to do with the fact we learn math lol

useless? totally subjective depending on your career path but it's your opinion anyways

It's impossible to improve if you give up before you even try. GL.

I'm going to steal an argument from someone else.

"But I won't need this stuff for my job":
A big difference between a student with an education and a worker with some training is the expectation that the student will have a deeper level of understanding, a broader base of knowledge, and a greater ability to build connections.

Will you, to a certainty, need everything taught in algebra? No. Does this mean that you should drop out of school now, get a job, and get only the training which is specific to your position?

"I can't drop out!", you reply, "I can't get that job unless I have a college degree." Ah. So, to get the job you want, you need to demonstrate proficiency in basic job skills. To demonstrate that proficiency, you need a degree. To get the degree, you need algebra. In other words, you do need this stuff for your job.

im a freshman and taking honors geometry so if you just work hard at it then nothing is impossible

my work in school is sub-par anyways, i doubt i'll graduate next year tbh

my work in school is sub-par anyways, i doubt i'll graduate next year tbh
believing in yourself is the first step to success if you never believe in yourself you will always have your head in the clouds instead of looking to the stars

wtf did i just say

believing in yourself is the first step to success if you never believe in yourself you will always have your head in the clouds instead of looking to the stars

wtf did i just say

inspirational stuff

I like that side of you :^)

it's decent, but it has a good number of flaws

classrooms can end up going at the pace of the slowest student if that student is a teacher's favorite in a small class, and there are no remedial options

students can get completely steamrolled by an excessive amount of homework, ex. student doesn't want to do homework, gets bad grade, loses motivation to do more homework, gets more assigned anyways

a lot of teachers teach strictly curriculum material, going over everything we need for tests but ignoring the extra intricacies and details that make a subject beautiful, leaving people disillusioned with something if they already didn't have a high interest in it

classes are getting larger and larger as the population grows while the budget is getting tighter and tighter

excellent teachers are often overshadowed by depictions of boring monotonous people who lost their passion for teaching years ago

the curriculums are making it more and more apparent that the current view of schools is to train people how to take memorization tests over a wide variety of different subjects that are artificially separated from each other despite being different facets of the same thing, and keeping people stressed and telling them every thing they did wrong on those memorization tests, even going as far as to limit their abilities outside of school based on how well they do on these tests despite the fact that the tests don't accurately reflect adult life

I've been lucky enough to have pretty good teachers for the most part recently, but there are still people I know that are disillusioned with school despite having potential to become something great and maybe they will anyways I don't know the future, and there are many more people in the world who are getting through a subject in school just to get through it with a teacher that does nothing to make the subject as interesting as possible to try and make the experience less pain curl for everyone involved

sorry for the wall of text that happened, I've tried to make it a bit easier on the eyes