Author Topic: Can someone help me get started looking for a good City RPG mod?  (Read 1103 times)

Can we talk about CRPG for a minute? Over the past few years whenever I log onto Blockland I always find at-least one City RP running. I've watched it evolve over the years and also seen an endless amount of controversy surrounding it.

Every time I join one of these servers I become disappointing by how lazily made, badly maintained, and disorganized it is. I've had many ideas and inspiration for a while now to create good maintainable CRPG, but unfortunately the mod has seemed to become some sort of mythical vaporware deal and I have absolutely no idea where to find it (or how to write my own from scratch). Someone please explain to me the nature of this mod and why it's so exclusive.

In particular I'm looking for the version that has drugs and the economy system. Personally I'd go look for it myself but after about an hour searching on google and the forum I came up dry. Even if I did find a copy I wouldn't be able to check if it had any of the malicious backdoors because I don't really know where to look. If it's a private mod or something, I understand, but I feel like way too many irrelevant people are in possession of the mod for it to be private. If anyone out there could PM me and lend me a hand in finding a copy of this mod or something similar, I would be greatly appreciative and I'd be sure to let you in on the ground floor when I do get a server running.

Even if you were to get your hands on one of the gamemode_CityRPG scripts they are all funky and half broken and/or contain abunch of random stuff. You would need a good coder to get something worthwhile out of it. But honestly in this situation, patience is key. There are multiple high-potential developments already in progress for CityRPG as well as other games within Blockland. Unless you are able to and willing to get involved and contribute to these projects, just hang tight.

(edit) One major contributer to the way CityRPG is right now is because of everyone getting their hands on one and throwing together a city layout to use it with and expect their game to be somehow different from the last person thats done the exact same thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:03:19 PM by Bishop »

ty released his mod that had drugs + eco, other than that the only other mod i know of with drugs and eco is rebo_cityrpg and that's pretty buggy and it has the confusing edu trees so i wouldn't really recommend it unless you know how to code
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:58:00 PM by log »

ty released his mod that had drugs + eco

Any idea where I might look to find a download?
Thank you for your help regardless.

but honestly in this situation, patience is key. There are multiple high-potential developments already in progress for CityRPG as well as other games within Blockland. Unless you are able to and willing to get involved and contribute to these projects, just hang tight.

(edit) One major contributer to the way CityRPG is right now is because of everyone getting their hands on one and throwing together a city layout to use it with and expect their game to be somehow different from the last person thats done the exact same thing.

I've been waiting pretty patiently for a few years now. I've made many comprehensive City RPG builds only to fall short for lack of a mod to run it on. I've got big ideas, just no idea where to start.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:09:48 AM by Rally »

The problem is that there are already plenty of people who consider themselves builders who host CityRPGs, and those servers are the ones that end up being stuff and poorly maintained. The base mods that are floating around are broken and terrible. The whole idea really needs to be re-worked by an experienced coder who knows what they're doing.

Any idea where I might look to find a download?
Thank you for your help regardless.
It looks like it's been taken down. I'll work around after school today to see if I can find you a stable mod with all the things you mentioned.

It looks like it's been taken down. I'll work around after school today to see if I can find you a stable mod with all the things you mentioned.

Thanks a ton man, I really appreciate your help with this.

The problem is that there are already plenty of people who consider themselves builders who host CityRPGs, and those servers are the ones that end up being stuff and poorly maintained. The base mods that are floating around are broken and terrible. The whole idea really needs to be re-worked by an experienced coder who knows what they're doing.

Yeah, it's understandable. For a while I've been writing up a document about what I find fundamentally wrong with City RPG's and my criticisms and experiences with them in the past. I've been tempted to bring it to the forum but I don't have the requisite coding experience for such a project and I'm afraid I'd end up becoming the 'ideas guy'.

I have a few ideas of some minor changes that I imagine would definitely influence game-play though. For the meantime I suppose it's a start. Even if I can't make any good changes and if it does fall flat on it's face, it would be nice to have had the shot in the first place.

You should try PMing his alt. It's still active.

Yeah, it's understandable. For a while I've been writing up a document about what I find fundamentally wrong with City RPG's and my criticisms and experiences with them in the past. I've been tempted to bring it to the forum but I don't have the requisite coding experience for such a project and I'm afraid I'd end up becoming the 'ideas guy'.

I have a few ideas of some minor changes that I imagine would definitely influence game-play though. For the meantime I suppose it's a start. Even if I can't make any good changes and if it does fall flat on it's face, it would be nice to have had the shot in the first place.
I reckon you should post your document and at least get a discussion going on the matter.

You should try PMing his alt. It's still active.

I'll try to contact him, thank you.

I reckon you should post your document and at least get a discussion going on the matter.

As of right now it's mainly just an angry rant combined with a brainstorm. I'll try and sort it into an intelligible format and post it soon I suppose.

I have a stable mod with drugs, but no stable mod with drugs and economy; I could always just copy over Ty's econ but I'm not the biggest fan of the way he works or the code he writes, so I'd rather not.. though i'll still post it if you want it just won't have the econ mod
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:48:11 PM by log »

I have a stable mod with drugs, but no stable mod with drugs and economy; I could always just copy over Ty's econ but I'm not the biggest fan of the way he works or the code he writes, so I'd rather not.. though i'll still post it if you want it just won't have the econ mod

The econ mod is a bit gimmicky atm anyway. Either way, it's a start, it'd be a great help to have the CRPG mod with drugs even if it doesn't have the econ mod. Maybe I'll try and write my own. I do have a small amount of torque scripting knowledge so maybe it'd make a decent-ish challenge for me.

The econ mod is a bit gimmicky atm anyway. Either way, it's a start, it'd be a great help to have the CRPG mod with drugs even if it doesn't have the econ mod. Maybe I'll try and write my own. I do have a small amount of torque scripting knowledge so maybe it'd make a decent-ish challenge for me.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/150a4kmhvkh5w90/Gamemode_CityRPG.zip
if there's any problems or bugs pm me and ill try to fix them

also, depending on what gamemode you're used to playing with drugs on this one might be different; it has Crome's original evidence system where you baton drugs as evidence and turn them into the police station, and can baton civilians if they believe they have drugs on them; it's not listed anywhere but you can do /dropdrugs [drug name] [amount] to drug drugs.

the basic pack of GCat's DWeapons (listed as Raycasting weapons) can be found here: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=107991.0
it's required for the weapon system to work

you might also want to remove some of the jobs i used this one for a while as my personal mod so it has some silly jobs in there.

it's only 500kb; huh
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:19:17 PM by log »

Thank you so much man, this is a massive help. I'll let you know how it goes.