What do we like in a horror map

Poll

what is needed in and asylum

Vents, tight corners, old computers
Long hallways that seem to have no ends with blinking lights
Small rooms with blood splattered on the walls, big rooms with beds
all of the above

Author Topic: What do we like in a horror map  (Read 6416 times)

Not jump scares.
Actuall ambiance.
Unseen but implied dangers to build suspense.
Not jump scares.
Sudden surrealism.
Dark narrative/story.
Did I mention: forget jump scares?

renderman mod
bricks that play loud sounds when you walk over them
bf3 pack
5x tall 6xwide hallways

renderman mod
bf3 pack
5x tall 6xwide hallways

Don't give him ideas...

terror needs to be a big part of it
there needs to be an element of suspense and an atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife
show us elements of the big bad, but not directly; the imagination does wonders for scary things

renderman mod
bf3 pack
5x tall 6xwide hallways
Not jump scares.
Actuall ambiance.
Not jump scares.
Sudden surrealism.
Dark narrative/story.

I lol'd

Not jump scares.
Actuall ambiance.
Not jump scares.
Sudden surrealism.
Dark narrative/story.

actually one or two well-placed jumpscares aren't bad if mixed in with the other good stuff you mentioned
it's when it just or mainly uses jumpscares for frights like fnaf or whatever that it sucks

actually one or two well-placed jumpscares aren't bad if mixed in with the other good stuff you mentioned
it's when it just or mainly uses jumpscares for frights like fnaf or whatever that it sucks

Yeah, you're right.

This is scary, and it's real. AN EMPTY FRIDGE
complete jk

This is scary, and it's real. AN EMPTY FRIDGE
complete jk
Empty fridge and a bag of marijuana

I'm more of a guy that likes to go to real locations, picture this, you are kidnapped and taken to a real life location like, Cherynobl, A broken down Detroit, etc, Anyways you roam the area and pick up firearms found off of dead police, military, enemies, that tried to fend off maybe a riot or a creature.

That's just my idea

pecon was hosting a spooky server the other day and I thought it was really cool cause it was a giant city with fog everywhere, and player corpses remained forever, with the name still above them

gave me a "last man on earth" feeling.

would like to see something like that

I really like it in Blockland where you go somewhere and the place you came in from gets magically blocked off, e.g you go in the door and when you eventually think you have to leave there is no door

Try not to use jumpscares much, go for more 'creepy' than making some jump out of their chair

Music and lighting mean a lot. Make it as realistic as possible to make the person playing forget they're playing a game. I get this is a lego game, and that's why most horror maps aren't scary at all (and why Blockaloni is the most successful, and it takes literal hours to download all his music files)

Not using Renderman, use original characters and have a good storyline

Make it hard. Make it hard to hide, hard to get to the objective but hard to fail. You need to get that balance to where it gets adrenaline pumping in the players; but, if they die, then they kind of lose the feel of horror.

Mabye a button with a sound like breathing behind you. then it spawns in zombies. some kinda thing you press and it plays a sound. then activates zombies.