Poll & Discussion: Should the forum use an informal method to find posts?

Poll

Do you think that there should be some kind of informal way to locate posts?

Yes
6 (60%)
No
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Poll & Discussion: Should the forum use an informal method to find posts?  (Read 1254 times)

If you're looking for a post, for instance to provide proper quotes for a drama or just in general, do you think there should be some kind of informal reference system?  For instance, there's the use of the hashtag on popular social media sites, which when searched, the site makes all things under that hashtag appear in your feed.  I personally think that it would be easier to find posts or topics using these.

For example, if I wrote &ID_discrimination on this post, and users searched "&ID_discrimination", they might be able to find posts containing arguments relevant to ID discrimination.  Since the current forum search feature dumps a lot of unwanted results on you unless you know specifically who said something very specific, this could be useful at narrowing this search.

And no, I am not mandating any kind of conformity.  I want to know what you guys think.

I like the idea but I doubt we can get many people to follow along and those that do will look silly.

I like the idea but I doubt we can get many people to follow along and those that do will look silly.

My thoughts exactly.  I suppose there's no other way to do so unless people just start using it.  I might begin to do so just because why not.  Anyone think of what symbol(s) should be used?  Since we have an active coding discussion board, having an avid coder's input would be great.

In fact.  I'm going to test it by finding a really old post of mine in a thread that isn't too old and edit it with a test tag.

Edit:  I just buried &nstag_search* in three of my posts (not including this one), one of which from 2011.  Searching for it works.

*"NSTag" stands for Narrowed Search Tag.  Works better than "tag" or "nst".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:36:34 AM by SWAT One »

you could have it be transparent using [color=transparent] like those russian bots do

Please bear in mind that the & is dropped by the search page, making searches for "&phrase" and "phrase" return identical results.

Please bear in mind that the & is dropped by the search page, making searches for "&phrase" and "phrase" return identical results.
Thanks!

What is picked up?

I would rather there was a seperate tagging box when you posted, that doesn't appear in the main message.
If it appeared as a signature, and you had the option to enable them to appear, that would be good.

Otherwise we'll just have people complaining about seeing unnecessary stuff, like we do when people post signatures.

And also, it's just open to pointless abuse.
Most people probably won't tag in the first place.
Some may tag in a normal manner.
And others will use it as a joke, tagging massive sentences, or 50 different tags unrelated to the post, or just fill it with obscenities.

one time i added hidden keywords in some of my old topics (and a few posts)

i support this idea

I would rather there was a seperate tagging box when you posted, that doesn't appear in the main message.
If it appeared as a signature, and you had the option to enable them to appear, that would be good.

Otherwise we'll just have people complaining about seeing unnecessary stuff, like we do when people post signatures.
Perhaps a browsing script could be added to facilitate that, but even when you do that, few people would actually make the effort to download a script and use it.  Badspot's not going to do it, so hence why I call for an unofficial usage of it.

you could have it be transparent using [color=transparent] like those russian bots do
And I just had a thought:  Since using nstags promotes the use of them, it might be best to have these be seen without hiding them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:26:12 AM by SWAT One »

Yea, I guess it should..

&nstag_gaypost