Poll

Should you be kicked from the server when you die?

Yes
No
I'm 50/50

Author Topic: What Remains - Open World Zombie Survival PvP (Public v1.5)  (Read 10638 times)

hey i just found my own corpse

i died exactly where i had killed the guy who 'killed' me

the jeep was nowhere to be found and my body didn't even tumble or anything from the momentum of being in the car it looks like i just forgetin fell out of the jeep and died

what the actual forget what is even happening
I'll guess that when he died, the silly corpse vehicle touched the jeep, spazzed out, killed you because vehicle impact damage stuff and your body dropped out of the jeep.
I don't like vehicles.

Also the server is currently local chat only.

Anyways thanks for suggestions/bug reports.
Nobot really needs to change the spawn lists :S

vehicles are disgusting and dont add anything to gameplay so you should just phase them out wholesale or replace them with some other means of faster travel

vehicles are disgusting and dont add anything to gameplay so you should just phase them out wholesale or replace them with some other means of faster travel
Bicycles/Horses would be better imo

personally i feel vehicles are fine but the gas mod almost makes them useless cause gas is pretty hard to find/can only be found in specific regions of the map

horses would work better; zombies can zombify them, and they make maneuvering over the open terrain more easy. maybe have them spawn in the wild randomly?

the lack of zombies in the wild is also really noticable; the only benefit of being in cities is to get materials. maybe add random occasional zombie spawns in the wilderness on top of the horses.

Inb4everyoneisabandit

But seriously, I really want to play this, sounds really nice.

also jesus forget a random chance of dropping items on damage sounds infuriating and unfun

When you spawn, you have (in theory) 20 seconds of spawn protection.
Did you actually die, or did you just think that you could?
Aside from this, I think you can still become infected when a zombie hits you. This may become an issue.

i just spawned, got hit by a zombie once and apparently got poisoned or sick or something and spent my time wandering from settlement to identical settlement looking for something to cure me (which i'm convinced didn't exist)
a cure doesn't exist, which shouldn't be surprising because this is how it usually is on most zombie type movies/shows/games

got a bunch of guns that were all totally useless
guns aren't useless, and if you're referring to how often you find weapons compared to ammo, this can be fixed.
Yeah, we need to change the spawn percentages of guns and switch it around. You should find ammo more often than weapons.
Although, I do need to make weapons much more rare it seems.

some random jackass tried to run me down and i jumped into his car and killed him with a knife and then instantly got kicked from the server with the message "YOU ARE DEAD" in all caps despite obviously having killed him, but when i rejoined the server i got a nice long look at a physics based corpse which implied to me i got killed by a straight up forgetin physics bug
This has happened to me and a friend as well. Pretty much you're going to want to be careful with vehicles in general because physics can glitch out. This is always a possibility in Blockland, you should know that.

nothing even begins to threaten you once you get a melee weapon
This is not true, as you stated before you got hit by a zombie and got infected which can be threatening. I've had a melee weapon and still have been killed by zombies and players. You are always in danger from a player or zombie. There will be times where they sneak up on you. I can guarantee that.

and the cars are garbage and the map is obviously duplicated to the point that you can see the baseplates
Yes because seeing baseplates are so terrible for the eyes. This is nitpicking to the point where it's not even funny. Of course the map would be duplicated, this is Map #1, and it's generated. This isn't the all hand-built map. We made this map for the purpose of the gamemode actually being playable, and it works. We didn't make it to meet visual expectations, or to make it look fancy or anything.

immediately try to run me down and kill me with bullstuff physics bugs
Blame Blockland physics.

and now, immediately after this post, i respawned walked 5 feet forward and found another gun
These are literally the first spawn percentages that we concluded from when we started making the mod a few months back. I didn't expect the spawning to go smoothly at all, but now that issues have been brought up it helps me change the spawn percentages. So yes, thank you guys for posting issues with the server on this topic, it helps us realize what we need to fix.

iirc i don't think anyone ever said this game/gamemode is complete

handcuff keys??
-> v1.2
and handcuff keys are for handcuffs. you can take off someone's handcuffs and keep the handcuffs if you use the keys.

the lack of zombies in the wild is also really noticable; the only benefit of being in cities is to get materials. maybe add random occasional zombie spawns in the wilderness on top of the horses.
There are SOME zombie spawns in the wild, but I guess not enough to the point where you'd really notice it.

Inb4everyoneisabandit
If you've played DayZ I think you already know how people will play this lol.

also jesus forget a random chance of dropping items on damage sounds infuriating and unfun
The way this will work is if you get hit hard, like 50% health taken away or something, there is a slight chance you will drop the item you are holding. This can be extremely good if you want an upperhand in combat and shoot somebody first. It works both ways in other words, it can be infuriating on the person getting shot, sure, but it makes you that much more concerned about not being shot.

I can't seem to find any ammo for any assault rifle/shotgun weapon. Are you sure the spawn %'s on them are reasonable? I have come across 5-6 pistol ammo and 4-5 sniper ammo, but haven't ever found a sniper nor any other types of ammo. Pistols also seem to spawn crazy rare.

Also medkits seem to only spawn in the storage rental area; is this by design or is the spawn percentage of such items just super really low

k so i added encumberance, but some items don't make sense (like water bottles are 10lb, wtf??) but yeah i'll see if I can fix that later
guns can't be stacked anymore (yay?)

jeeps are really rare and bicycles are 1/4 chance to find (yay!)
bicycles don't have stupid physic glitches either (YAY!)

i made weapons more rare than they used to be
and ammo is around 50% less rare
food and water is around 50% less rare as well
gas is 1/4 chance to find now instead of like 1/6

make sure to report any more issues about spawning and etc on here if you guys feel the need to
try playing it and see how it feels though

also i turned Self Delete off (of course you can still just jump off buildings or whatever, but this was mostly to stop people who are handcuffed from just suiciding)
just a heads up guys, if you get stuck in a brick try to /sleep (this tumbles you)
but try not to jump on props because you might get stuck (i've seen this happen a lot lately)

EDIT: also backpacks don't work as vault's anymore. if you die, stuff in your backpack gets wiped. your backpack stuff is part of your character, not server-wide.
I may bring this back in the future, but for now I want to see how this goes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 01:24:00 AM by Nobot »

Do we have to be kicked when we die?

Honestly, I don't like this feature, I have to wait more time just to load because I got sneak killed by some sniper.

Do we have to be kicked when we die?

Honestly, I don't like this feature, I have to wait more time just to load because I got sneak killed by some sniper.
Well, I doubt people actually like the feature. It's not there for people to like it, it's there for people to want to die less.
In a way, it's kind of there just to make people a little on edge. It seems to do this pretty well so far.

Also, some people have told me it makes PvP much more enjoyable, just more satisfying I guess.

EDIT: also backpacks don't work as vault's anymore. if you die, stuff in your backpack gets wiped. your backpack stuff is part of your character, not server-wide.
I may bring this back in the future, but for now I want to see how this goes.
i don't like the fact that items get totally wiped on death. since it can take literally 5-10 minutes just to find one weapon/melee item, and 2-5 minutes to go between towns, you're basically asking everyone to spend hours on your server scrounging for stuff, on the brink of getting assraped by zombies or players at any moment.
also the reason i was questioning handcuffs is me questioning its purpose - there seems to be little to no use for them since PVP rarely ends with "Surrender or die!" since typing said message leaves one open to attack.

at least have the items drop out of the backpack rather than be lost forever. maybe make the storage crates seen in homes functional?

edit: encumbrance is gay and makes it impossible to store up items :(
edit2: okay maybe its not as gay as i made it sound
anyways bikes were a great addition; although they are fast they are hard as forget to drive and so that balances it out. i'm also finally seeing shotgun and rifle ammo so yay those are fixed too
edit3: thank you for adding health regen when food and water are full. makes it so much less stupidly hard to survive.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:41:36 AM by Conan »

i don't like the fact that items get totally wiped on death. since it can take literally 5-10 minutes just to find one weapon/melee item, and 2-5 minutes to go between towns, you're basically asking everyone to spend hours on your server scrounging for stuff, on the brink of getting assraped by zombies or players at any moment.
yeah yeah, I know people don't really like having their items wiped, especially when it's pretty easy to get assraped by all the dangerous stuff on the server.
I'm mostly doing this to see if it changes the combat between players a bit more. Which it has... sorta...
Now that players realize they can lose all the things they've spent hours gathering, it makes them more likely to be stealthy and not just run around not caring about dying or not.

Before:
Oh no! a player is attacking me! -puts stuff in backpack- "lel bro kill me idc"

After:
Oh no! a player is attacking me! -gets in defensive position with weapons out- "we can go our seperate ways, you don't have to kill me!"

It makes people actually worth killing now... Sorta...

EDIT: idea: we could make it that when you're In-Pain (the emotion), you can't store weapons into your backpack.
that way it stops people from just storing items right when they are in an area of clearance within combat

also the reason i was questioning handcuffs is me questioning its purpose - there seems to be little to no use for them since PVP rarely ends with "Surrender or die!" since typing said message leaves one open to attack.
believe it or not, the other day I was handcuffed and some pvpers were loving around with me
so um, yeaaaaa

they are also useful for pvp because if you get handcuffed you can't deposit items in your toolbar into your backpack to save them

at least have the items drop out of the backpack rather than be lost forever. maybe make the storage crates seen in homes functional?
I can make some storage containers in houses work, but probably not all of them
the way the mod works is I would have to event every single storage container, and the container would be global to anybody

I wish there was just a way to loot somebody's bag though, would make everything much simpler

edit: encumbrance is gay and makes it impossible to store up items :(
well encumbrance may be gay, but it has feelings too :(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:34:16 AM by Nobot »

Also I'd just like to say quite some people take a little while to load when they leave a server/are kicked, especially me, and the fact we have to wait for bricks to ghost again.

EDIT: It usually takes about 30 seconds to load back in, and another minute or so to ghost

And please remove zombies opening doors (If you can) I don't like it how I close a door then a zombie opens it back up.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:41:24 AM by Snaked_Snake »

Also I'd just like to say quite some people take a little while to load when they leave a server/are kicked, especially me, and the fact we have to wait for bricks to ghost again.
how long does it usually take you to come back, load in, and finish ghosting?

EDIT: It usually takes about 30 seconds to load back in, and another minute or so to ghost
ah... I had an idea to have two servers. One would be like a regular version with no kick on death or item wiping, while the other would have item wiping, kick or even ban on death. So basically like a hard and easy version of the gamemode. Although, I'm kind of scared to do it because it might seperate the community within the server.

And please remove zombies opening doors (If you can) I don't like it how I close a door then a zombie opens it back up.
well, i'm not sure if this is possible. apparently blockland's default zombies can open doors.

I was also thinking of adding global chat onto the server.. what do you guys think about that? do you like it the way it is? or would you want global chat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:47:08 AM by Nobot »