Ambient Sounds (haha update)

Author Topic: Ambient Sounds (haha update)  (Read 7190 times)

Ambient Sounds
another witty thing about the update here

What does it do?
Creates an audioemitter that plays a select few .wav loops that spans a fair distance.
This is to be used for, you guessed it, ambience.

I can't download and take a look into the files, what does it all have?
  • city
  • forest
  • windy
  • night
  • underground
Too lazy to download and then listen to the files?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbtyRzb5Hk

How do I use this beautiful thing?
/setambience (ambient file name from the above list)
Additionally, typing /setambience without anything next to it, or typing /setambience (none/stop) will stop the audio.

What if the filesizes are too big?!??! What can I ever do?!?!
If your server already houses a plethura of add-ons that already mean a good 10 hour long wait, you can simply comment out the datablocks, as well as something else in the script.

turn into

Use this on sounds you know you wont be using.

Download plz
Blockland Glass
( are you a pro coder and notice many wrong things about my script? go ahead and tell me all the wonderful things i'm doing horribly wrong :D! )
( are you an ordinary joe and notice that something simple is wrong, like a command not working how it's meant to, or a download isn't working? tell me IMMEDIATELY )
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:55:46 PM by Arekan »

Perhaps a list on what the noises are?

Like is this open air ambience?
Field ambience?
Cave ambience?
Shoreline or waterfall ambience?
Secret facility ambience?

Any way to say which of these play and how frequently?

I know you're an authority on sounds and music here but we need a little more details to explain how this would enhance a server and under what contexts this might fit/be ideal.

Perhaps a list on what the noises are?

Like is this open air ambience?
Field ambience?
Cave ambience?
Shoreline or waterfall ambience?
Secret facility ambience?

Any way to say which of these play and how frequently?

I know you're an authority on sounds and music here but we need a little more details to explain how this would enhance a server and under what contexts this might fit/be ideal.

It's a single noise. All you have to do is download and check the assets folder to figure it out.
There's no way to alternate sounds. Right now it's just a generic city ambience noise. You can change it to your heart's content. I might release a couple extras, later.

You should probably change the title and file name to City Ambience and Ambience_City respectively or something like that.  If you plan to expand it as a pack, I would keep it as is.

Would be cool if someone replaced the vanilla sound with Dead Space ambience.

instant download instantly does nothing

GG OneDrive. Fixed.  No longer instant though :(

Plans for v2 is the ability to choose between different sounds, and the ability for the host to be able to stop and start sounds on his or her own so he or she knows what sound is being played.

I can only make the mod work like that (start/stop on command w/out reconnect) if the client HAS the add-on, and that's unreliable. But, if host-only, it's pretty guaranteed that they have the add-on.

Can we get some events that go with this?

You absolutely NEED to put more information about this in the OP.
Like: What sounds are in the pack? What do they sound like? What does this even do? Cause, Im kind of lost on what it is and whats even in it. At least I know how to use it I guess...

Like: What sounds are in the pack? What do they sound like? What does this even do? Cause, Im kind of lost on what it is and whats even in it. At least I know how to use it I guess...
Better OP will be coming when I update, I have nobody to test it with though. Gunna have to wait until I can do that.

There's just one sound which sound like a windy outside environment with birds chirping occasionally and maybe some distant car engines

When you load into the game, you just type /enableambience to start it

Updated for all ye to enjoy.

This is great, works perfectly, and the ambient isn't too loud so underground sections can easily drain it out with their own ambient, ill be using this a lot.

I was thinking of adding something else that I had introduced in another, private, early version of the mod.

Basically what it did was randomize a sound, and randomize when the sound played. I had used it for music, so that every minute or two, there was a very soft violin that played, or a gentle drum that faded in and out. The music was taken from The Last of Us and was used in an apocalyptic theme, but there could be other uses, as ambience also uses the same thing in games. I might add that if I update the mod.