6 (25%)
no
7 (29.2%)
maybe
6 (25%)
yes
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: off loving sucks  (Read 167609 times)

I would like to mention that wadanohara and the great blue sea threads keep appearing on /v/ and anybody who says bad things about the game gets torn to pieces by circlejerking and I want to kill myself
but that's what I get for going on /v/
maybe you should post a link to destroyer's review in a pastebin or something

maybe you should post a link to destroyer's review in a pastebin or something
did he ever actually review that one I could never find it
I knew he did the dev's other games

did he ever actually review that one I could never find it
I knew he did the dev's other games
huh you know i guess he never did

maybe you could post his review of off and watch what happens

huh you know i guess he never did

maybe you could post his review of off and watch what happens
I'll do it if I ever see an off thread

wha happn

if ur askin for the imscared game bsicly it tried to be meta but You is a potato so he looked up a walkthrough
spoiler alert the ending is just earrape jumpscares repeatidly and then you delete its heart.txt (yes srsly) and the game just removes the black without fixing the rendering
yeah
lol!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025603704/recommended/429720

i dont have any pictures of imscared because the game locks you out of the real grafix once you beat it yeah its one of those games

imscared: a pixelated nightmare or maybe its just imscared the freeware version is called pixelated but the steam version is just imscared in my library

because this is one of those games the obligatory twisty twist heres a short review; dont buy it. you can avert your gaze now and play the freeware version instead of this which i havent actually played but its probably this but shorter and freer so just play that if you want some forgetin twists. going back to the actual review imscared is a walking simulator horror game where you solve all of your problems by walking and picking stuff up while the game tries to scare you except its not scary and pulls some pretty bullstuff bullstuff near the end of the game. maybe im horror desensitized now considering i beat amnesia and that wasnt scary but whatever write your own review rooster juggler. im sure there are better and scarier walking simulators out there for free or not. maui probably spoiled everything to everyone who cares already which is no one.

now that everyone who who wants to keep their imscared virginity gone i can safely talk about the only reason this game has any attention whatsoever which is the twist. the game does this meta stuff which is summed up as what if game was alive and because game is life the game interacts with your computer in a meta way which sounds interesting. the game pushes this to the limit of intentionally crashing and sometimes playing a sound effect while youre out of game once it does and adding/editing text files in an imscared folder. truly my fear has reached a zenith unknown by sentient beings. this feature is seriously what has propelled this game into any sort of spotlight and its poorly utilized every time it gets dragged up from the depths of meta hell. like for real there are two things this game uses the meta stuff for: text files and a single semi jumpscare thing and the text files are all puzzles that suck richard. so does the jumpscare but whatever. the game also tries to tell its story or some stuff via those text files in cryptic and mostly uninteresting fluff paragraphs to go along with the stupid puzzles. i guess thats the extent of the meta stuff as well as the game crashing when you die. if you are buying this game thinking it is some sort of superb fourth wall adventure you are wrong. this game is bad. i seriously wish i could write more about the meta stuff but i cant because its just so not there. all of the puzzles with meta are seriously just you loving with text files and if that sounds fun forget you.

the gameplay is walking simulator. i am so glad walking simulator has become a legitimate genre on steam. the entire concept of walking simulator is ridiculous and yet omnipresent among stuffty games. this is one of those games. the entire game is just walking around and away from enemies and pressing e to pick stuff up or interact with stuff because the rest of the game is not scary horror. its basically a worse version of amnesia in like everything. ive already said it before but every single puzzle is just finding the right thing to press e on or the sequence of things to press e on. thats it. that and the meta stuff which i said before. more importantly though the game pulls some serious asspull near the end where it actually requires you to have all achievements to progress while also not giving you any hints on what those achievements are. most of these achievements are self explanatory but there are definitely a few that could be easily missed and i missed three on the first playthrough plus theres one thats almost impossible without a guide which i used. i can only assume its trying to push the meta adventure envelope here too except instead of fostering a community of people who explore the game like yume nikki it makes everyone go look up a walkthrough on youtube to avoid potentially hours of backtracking through stuff youve already been through to find a stupid ass achivement for this stupid ass game. unlike yume nikki this game has nothing interesting to find or explore so i dont know what the dev was doing with that. and yeah you do have to backtrack for all of them all of them are based on pressing e on things or looking at stuff.

anyway the horror. the horror is horrible. life is horrible and so is this game. the horror seems to be based on the sort of hidden agreement you might get a jumpscare sometimes and that incredibly low visibility plus being chased equals horror. like im not even joking about how little you can see there is an impenetrable wall of fog forever surrounding the player almost all of the time. it varies in distance but still it seems to exist only so the player gets super spooked when the monster is five feet in front of them before they see it. the game also enjoys being loving loud as stuff for most jumpscares and other stuff which makes me more annoyed than scared because this game has caused me slight physical pain instead of horror. its really just not scary and none of the gimmicky stuff it does makes it scary.

the graphics in particular help absolutely nothing about this game. yeah its a pixelated nightmare i know but was the title not changed. running from a forgetin pixel face like come on son. the games environments look decent enough but none of them were scary which is a problem when this game is betting every single farm on horror. the game gets much worse in the second half when the face thing chasing you suddenly and inexplicably transforms into a girl thing chasing you which they actually manage to make more hot than scary im not even joking. this is a mostly featureless pixelated white thing. if you ever do play this game to the second part pretend to make johnny bravo advances on the ghost girl so that the game crashes when you touch her and you dont have to play anymore. for real though dont play this game. for real again this game isnt scary looking ever.

then we get to the sound. you know i think that this game actually did the ambience sort of well. it had a sort of vintage low quality freaky record player approach that worked pretty good and was different from the generic whisper/cave sound/whatever that ive found in like every other horror game. the sound effects though. the sound effects were alright except for the ones that loving kill your ears holy forget why. sometimes the game decides it is in the best interests of all parties involved to emit a piercing ear destroying sound wave for reasons i assume are loud = scary. its laughably bad especially when you finally get to the forgetin end of the game and the game pulls this stuff repeatedly to the point where i was actually laughing every time it occurred because of how ridiculous it is. like holy stuff kill me now. anyway im done with the review im not talking about the plot because thats on life support so forget you heres a conclusion.

for a game that probably totes how innovative it is for breaking the fourth wall the pixel ass graphics and boring walking simulator gameplay say otherwise. it takes no leaps in game design or anything else that would make it truly remarkable. its not even fun as a non horror game. its not even fun as a horror game. its just not fun. it seems every gameplay mechanic was built to accentuate the horror instead of being good in its own right like what amnesia tried to do with its puzzles. i wont say amnesia went further than tried though. thus enjoyment of the game entirely depends on how much of a pusillanimous individual you are and how much you enjoy being scared. if you are a pusillanimous individual who enjoys being scared just play amnesia anyway.

tier list

essential games
bad tier
  yume nikki

unessential games
good tier
  profit motive

decent tier
  chrono trigger
  station 37
  skelemania
  the witch's house
  warhammer 40k dark nexus arena
  sluggish morss
  space funeral
  planetside 2
  mimicry man

mediocre tier
  ib
  space funeral: the legend of earth birth
  hylics
  mogeko castle

extremely unessential games
boring tier
  presentable liberty
  imscared (a pixelated nightmare?)
  spookys house of jump scares
  lieat
  ananke
  super columbine massacre rpg
  crypt worlds
  ao oni
  suits: a business rpg
  inflation quest
  stellar 2d

furry tier
  major/minor
  space funeral 4

hell
worse than Riddler tier
  the gray garden

off tier
  off
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:48:58 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

done

that was my 30th review

i think ive wrote more than all of my college papers combined in this topic
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:54:14 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

if you ever do play this game to the second part pretend to make johnny bravo advances on the ghost girl so that the game crashes when you touch her and you dont have to play anymore.
10/10

meh
i prefer to disagree with the whole "horror is horrible"
you can just not be scared of something and base the review off of that
the atmosphere gives you a nice suspense and most of the jumpscares are p well thought out
its not really a walking simulator, more of like an "exploration simulator"
the entire games purpose is to protagonize the player and freak the stuff out of them
it breaks the wall very well with all the file creation and stuff
your player is set inside of a nightmare and it gives that feeling off really well

also do you hate absolutely every game that comes to your eyes or are you simply just a richard

also do you hate absolutely every game that comes to your eyes or are you simply just a richard
dob usually reviews "rpgmaker bargain bin" quality games, which tend to suck rooster in multiple departments

have you even seen the general quality of the games he reviews in this thread?

i dont think maxx even knows what this thread is

yeah like all the games that he's classified as decent or above, can't believe he hates those too.

meh
i prefer to disagree with the whole "horror is horrible"
you can just not be scared of something and base the review off of that
the atmosphere gives you a nice suspense and most of the jumpscares are p well thought out
its not really a walking simulator, more of like an "exploration simulator"
the entire games purpose is to protagonize the player and freak the stuff out of them
it breaks the wall very well with all the file creation and stuff
your player is set inside of a nightmare and it gives that feeling off really well

maybe im horror desensitized now considering i beat amnesia and that wasnt scary but whatever write your own review rooster juggler.
i planned for this exact moment

im not really gonna talk about the jumpscares and suspense stuff since i already covered that mostly but yeah i get that the game is supposed to "protagonize" you assuming you mean like actually making you feel like the game is interacting with you, the player except it doesnt. ill figure out why few minutes when im done thinking about that stuff but for me it did not. maybe something about a supposedly sentient being having set patterns of interaction with the player and no personality but i dont know theres a reason i didnt even go over the plot that is intentionally vague on this stuff in the worst possible way. id like to once again point out hover over for potential spoilers as a game that did things well by having characters with linear patterns of action and making them feel like they did actually live in a world on your computer and you can forget everything up and kill them. it felt like white face was just one of the things in amnesia with the forgeted up mouths who exists to do like one thing (chase you around) and has nothing else beneath the surface of that thing. yeah there was a little backstory about each of them but in amnesia its mostly fluff and in imscared its an essential pillar of the game. added to that the game does not actually take and leaps outside of conventional walking simulator gameplay by breaking the fourth wall in ways other than stuffty .txt editing. the world does not feel dynamic and it does not feel like theres a creature actually in your computer which is what i assume the game was going for.

and yeah all walking simulators are by default "exploration simulators" because your most used means of interacting with the world is walking around in it. 

and no i dont hate everything i like profit motive but even if i did how am i a richard
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:56:45 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »