6 (25%)
no
7 (29.2%)
maybe
6 (25%)
yes
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: off loving sucks  (Read 167672 times)

streaming middens i have no idea whats going on twitch.tv/offisbad

Have you gotten rekt by a super boss disguised as something stupid yet?

Have you gotten rekt by a super boss disguised as something stupid yet?
no

anyway this game sucks

Quote from: tvtropes
In terms of tone, theme, and just plain weirdness, it might as well be Off 2. Or possibly "open-world OFF".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:54:31 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

I don't get how anyone actually liked off, it was pretentious and difficult to follow along with. It was the video game form of an abstract painting that a group of people are standing around pretending to understand it while you're struggling to figure out just what the forget you're looking at and if you try to ask anyone what the forget is up with that stupid painting they scoff at you and resume eerily staring at a painting while making a humming noise

this thread is really just a continual search for an answer to that question ike

tbh i appreciate this thread a lot because i really hate off

I understand off, it doesn't help make it any better.

basically, if you just scrape the whole 'you play as yourself playing the batter' and just, change that bit to 'you're playing the batter', and ignore all the meta stuff.
you and your wife helped your child create a world for his birthday, and his friends (the guardians) helped him
but you're an abusive stufflord and are actively causing the world to be plagued with bad stuff. you feel justified for your actions despite every single guardian telling you otherwise.
you effectively ruin the entire world, with the 'good ending' being that like, the judge, and some nobody who locked himself in some room live in solitude. (at least, i think that guy's still alive. he's the only one alive in that zone after you purify it)
and the 'bad ending' you just turn off the world.

the only winning move is to never play it.

the problem with off is that you dont actually know why the batter is doing anything or what happens when you actually purify anything and the consequences. the game makes you do bad things with the whole gimmick being im assuming was this action worth it except you cant set any sort of value on your actions other than by just making stuff up so for all we know that kid is actually super Riddler and the purified zones are going to transform into paradise for all the guys who got purified or whatever as soon as youre done with the game. of course someone could go in and be like its a metaphor hurr or durr you my fan threory except we cant ever prove any of that bullstuff so off wastes away in the bottomless pit of second guessings and pretentious indie game asswipe smirking.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:50:02 PM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

Have you ever gone back to a purified area? Everything is dead and you encounter stronger monsters.

But yeah, no matter what theory you come up with for the game, it's still bad.

Have you ever gone back to a purified area? Everything is dead and you encounter stronger monsters.

But yeah, no matter what theory you come up with for the game, it's still bad.
yeah i know
and the purified zones are going to transform into paradise for all the guys who got purified or whatever as soon as youre done with the game.
even if it doesnt it just factors into the whole is it worth it stuff that we still dont know about

maybe the batter wanted to destroy everything because he meta realized how stuff off is

that confirms that batter is the only good character because he was the only one capable of destroying the stuff game

it was his divine duty to destroy the game.

the only game ive played that really made me think "is this really worth it? am i a bad guy?" was metro 2033 /redux

people should play that instead of off

maybe the batter wanted to destroy everything because he meta realized how stuff off is
i just realized this is actually as legit as any other theory about the game

middens

ive read that people who enjoy this game call it off 2 or off open world edition so that set the standards pretty high and i cant say it fails to meet them. middens is an rpgmaker rpg where you play as some guy called the nomad who picks up a gun that says kill people or it wont let you play the game so you go around someones collage art they made on lsd and do. thats basically the entire game. you can do other rpgmaker stuff like talking to people or whatever. this game is just boring and im not talking normal levels of boring here because the game is intentionally boring to try to prove some entry level philosophical point about nihilism so this game is boring and stupid at the same time. a true successor to offs legacy.

you play middens by walking around said lsd collage the game calls as the abyss talking to stuff and shooting things with the talking gun to enter rpg combat. nobody says anything important and entertaining because the entire point of the game is to murderize the stuff out of everything although the game likes to pretend that theres an option not to. so you walk around this boring ass abyss world that is interesting to look at for 3 minutes then isnt because its basically just background and you dont ever delve into the why or what of this stuff in any meaningful way. so yeah you walk around being bored as forget not killing things because the obviously evil gun told me to kill things and i was like forget you i wont do what you tell me until you seriously get so bored of walking around this game mechanic wasteland unsuccessfully looking for anything at all to do until you finally just forgetin snap and murder something and then nothing happens. there is zero feedback for murdering anything until you get 30 kills so you dont actually know if killing things does anything at all. thankfully while i was streaming someone actually told me how to beat the game otherwise i would be wandering around bored as stuff for potentially hours because the rpg combat is boring enough for me to not want to initiate combat with anything. oh but it gets worse.

alright so you know how games are like supposed to be fun and not boring and stuff well guess what all of the previous boring stuff is actually intentionally boring. yeah im not even joking. the game seriously goes out and uses this boring bullstuff to make a point about how life itself is boring bullstuff that we all get away from and how you are a bad person for killing these stupid things in this stupid ass game because you were bored like no stuff i was bored the game was so loving boring and i already know im playing games because i would be bored if i wasnt and no i dont care about ending the lives of a bunch of pixels who existed to repeat one random and irrelevant line every time i talked to them. this game would be deep if i was 13. actually it wouldnt because i would be playing halo instead of this stuff. this is the worst kind of art possible in an art game because the art now rules over the direction the game goes and it goes into boringville for some reason. like why. why would you do this. the gun basically tells you if youre bored you should kill yourself and thats basically its motivation for being a talking murdering gun thing. i think thats pretty cool motivation for an insane gun thing but its not fun for the game to actually bore you into killing yourself which you have to do to proceed after you kill 30 things. like for real the game lets you kill yourself if you are bored and want to move on so i did as soon as i got the option so i guess the game made its point.

the rpg combat is boring as hell and seems to be a port of offs combat into the standard rpgmaker system of taking turns to attack. like for real the similarities are uncanny. you got this guy called the nomad who looks mildly out of place with the setting hes in going around with three orb like things that all have a rpg archetype of damage dealer, healer, and debuffer beating up strange creature things in an attempt to purify wherever you are at. the game thankfully avoids the pitfalls of random encounters and a stupid ass attack timer that takes forever to fill but sucks richard in many other ways. you see, instead of having a handicap slow attack timer you have to summon your orb things into battle because they dont start in battle for some reason which takes 3 turns and you have to do this because if they arent in battle when you win they dont level up and will fall drastically behind. battles are easy as piss and once you get over the initial low level hurdle you can murderize everything. how battles actually go down is also incredibly similar to off but in an entirely different way. there is a relatively low mana pool for every character and save points that regen mana so you would have to intelligently use your spells except all enemies are hp sponges and your orb things have full mana every time you summon them so you really just spam the best spells until you win. again. riveting. do this 30 times to win. there is only ever a problem when nomad runs out of mana because he needs it to summon people so when you do you forget around looking for a save point to regen since you have to initiate 99% of fights.

that brings around the world itself which is boring as forget to explore. you forget around walking everywhere observing the art of every room for 3 seconds before getting bored because there is 0 interaction with the player and the environment. you just kill things and talk to things that dont say anything interesting ever. the map merely serves to house killable objects. plus the objects talking is dumb because you have this whack ass map and then all you have is a bunch of photoshop abortions discussing perfectly normal topics no one cares about. i didnt mention this before but they never say anything surreal ever. so yeah the entire game is just searching for things to kill or save points. there arent even any shops or anything. you pick up worm things from the ground and they serve as consumables except i never had to use any of them because i would just kill everything normally. like really theres nothing. i mean thats the point of the game that nothing is fun and everything sucks so kill yourself. do it come on.

the art is actually really good though which surprised me. i enjoyed all of the environments and the lsd art collage thing would work better if the game didnt actually suck richard. like imagine a game that was good with this art style it would be great. stream chat came up with the idea for a metal slug clone that will never happen. anyway yeah it looks cool. not shown from the screenshot is all of the enemies who have their own art collage things that all looked like old medical book photos shopped together. the art for the gun in cinematics is probably the best of the entire game and is really good. i think yume nikki was the only game that utilized a surreal art style thing right though which is a shame. the picture actually doesnt do a lot of justice to how the game looks but you shouldnt play it to find out how it really looks because it sucks.

similar to off the music is pretty good but nothing spectacular but often feels out of place with the dark and mildly freaky art thats everywhere. its not a detracting thing though since you dont ever feel immersed in the world anyway which is not something to be happy about. the sound effects are alright and nothing stands out except for the battle winning chime whistle thing which sounds weird as forget but good.

i think i already did a proper outline of the story when discussing why the game sucks a lot so i guess ill do what i found the most disappointing characterization. the game gives you a talking gun that is telling you to kill people and you barely ever talk to it what the forget. its a talking gun telling you to kill people. the parts of dialogue that actually happen are pretty interesting except they so rarely happen that they help no one enjoy this stupid game. also for some reason the gun uses emoticons. i understand that the writer may be trying to pull some ha ha self realization that you are in the video game thing but it doesnt work when its implied the gun is speaking because it has a mouth. how does it verbally do emoticons. does it do it like microsoft sam does or what. its dumb but the parts without emoticons are good. too bad its in this stuffty game.

to wrap up its basically off but better since its shorter and looks better. dont play it. i think it lasts like 2 hours but maybe more if you ever figure out the stupid grindy murder stuff gimmick thats dumb. forget this game for real.

essential games
bad tier
  yume nikki

unessential games
good tier
  profit motive

decent tier
  chrono trigger
  station 37
  skelemania
  the witch's house
  warhammer 40k dark nexus arena