Author Topic: BlockLand Glass automatically kicks you from servers if you do not have it  (Read 3090 times)

Tried joining my friends server which uses Blockland Glass. It seems like it does not allow you to join if you do not have their add-on installed.

I never knew that but I think that's really dumb.

seems like a botnet to me  :cookieMonster:

jkjk

I haven't had that problem either.

what the forget
this is bullstuff why is blockland glass needed to join servers

It's not that you need Glass to join any server that has Glass. It's that it's being used to manage client add-ons, which could mean that you need Glass AND a specific client add-on, which it'll probably ask you to download ingame when you attempt to join it.

Just a guess though.

Pretty stupid of that to happen

Offtopic: does anyone have the link to Blockland Glass?

i've never had this problem

i've never had this problem
Because people aren't seeing that this doesn't happen with every server that has Glass. Only the ones that use it to manage client add-ons.

Because people aren't seeing that this doesn't happen with every server that has Glass. Only the ones that use it to manage client add-ons.

Yep.

First off, this functionality is only present in the development alpha build of Glass, which is inherently unstable. Secondly, this functionality is only enabled if the server host has specified that they want it to be. Glass 1.1 gives the server host the option to require client add-ons, such as certain client GUIs or mods.

The message literally says "This server uses Blockland Glass to manage client add-ons". Which means what it says. That server, specifically, as in not all Glass servers.

The message literally says "This server uses Blockland Glass to manage client add-ons". Which means what it says. That server, specifically, as in not all Glass servers.
you should probably make it clearer. even if the mod by default kicked everyone without the mod, that sentence would still be completely accurate
say "this server requires client add-ons, which can be managed with blockland glass" or something

also if your mod requires people to have the blockland glass mod for servers like these, in addition to the other client mods, you should probably fix that

also if your mod requires people to have the blockland glass mod for servers like these, in addition to the other client mods, you should probably fix that
This, so much.

This is total BS. No wonder why half the people that try to join my server abruptly leave after a few seconds of being connected.

Uninstalling Blockland Glass immediately.

Yeah, the system was just recently started on and isn't finished. Glass is used to communicate what mods are needed, and will open a prompt for you to download these automatically before joining the server. Of course, if you don't have Glass installed on the client, your client 1) can't tell the server if you have the client or not, and 2) can't open the prompt to download them.

I'm working on a support file that can be put in to Client mods so that they can communicate what clients are installed without having Glass entirely, so that users can just download the client mods without glass. However, since that isn't done, it is how it is now.

I want to restate, this functionality is only found the the alpha, in-development version of glass. And it's entirely optional.

Users who don't understand the nature of an unstable in-development version shouldn't download it. Unfortunately, people run toward the shiny and "new" version without understanding that there's no guarantee that it'll be functional and complete. I even added a prompt that says in big letters "stuff will be broken, please read the development topic".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:03:14 PM by Scout31 »

You should probably give more of an explanation in the kick message, because that's a great way to advertise to people that they should avoid blockland glass.

This is total BS. No wonder why half the people that try to join my server abruptly leave after a few seconds of being connected.

It removes the users before the "connected" message is displayed. Only 20 people have the development build of Glass, and it kicks clients with old versions of glass too, so unless the 20 users of the development version make up 50% of your users, I don't think that can be attributed to Glass.

Also, here's the exact code only present in the development version that shows that this feature is entirely optional.

Code: [Select]
%required = GlassSettings.get("SC::RequiredClients");
if(trim(%required) !$= "" && !%this.hasGlass) { //non-glass clients
  %this.schedule(0, "delete", "This server uses Blockland Glass to manage client add-ons<br><br><a:blocklandglass.com/dl.php>You can download Blockland Glass here</a>");
}

Note, it only happens if you have a required client mod set.