Poll

Do you think the map should have two buildings or three?

Keep 3 buildings
Remove 1 and have 2 buildings
I don't know

Author Topic: Skyscraper [NEW POLL]  (Read 5167 times)

I don't normally post on these forums much, in fact this is the first thread I've ever made on the forums, so you may not know me well (unless if you frequent Pecon's server) but I have been building a map for use on the Boss Battles server. I've made a thread for this already here, but I wanted to have some critiques and ideas from a wider demographic of people who build a lot. As such, I've decided to make a thread here as well. This map isn't complete yet, I'd say it's about 50% done, but I want to have other people's input on the map and what could make it better, what should and should not be somewhere, etc. I'm not necessarily going for much realism on this map, so keep that in mind when you look at this. Brickcount has recently broken 150k bricks. I'll shave off some unneeded bricks when it's all done.

Now, onto the map. INTRODUCING: loveY SOFT SHADER SCREENSHOTS (sorry if it's hard to see, the map is intended to be somewhat dark, but not so dark that you'd need to have a light to navigate)

The three skyscrapers (NEW: New sign for main building, fixed signs on other two buildings)

NEW: Normals spawn area

NEW: Boss spawn area (i know one of the class buttons is missing i fixed it but didnt feel like taking another picture)

The boss spawn (Where the boss will appear in the map)

The first floor of the main building, still somewhat barren. I may add a few things like pillars, barricades, or other objects to make it feel less empty soon.

The acid pit, pretty self explanatory, just don't fall in.

The second floor, otherwise known as water world. The entire floor is filled with water you can swim in. It's harmless, though.

A cannon located on the second floor of the main building.

Outside of the main building, a cleaning crew's platform hangs next to a hole in the wall. Press the red button to be launched to the roof. (don't ask why)

The roof of the main building, where the cap point and tank turret are located.

Teleporter 1.

A crane that I stole borrowed from something else and modified to look nicer since I just couldn't make a nice looking crane and couldn't find anyone to make it for me. This crane holds the tank turret. Beware, if the boss presses the button near the base of the crane, it will drop the tank turret off the building!

The telehub. This telehub contains 3 teleporters, each leading to their corresponding building.

The office area of the first floor of the second building. Previously, most of the area was intact, but I've destroyed some cubicles and created a gaping hole in the wall, leading through a hallway and the other side of the floor.

The next area on the first floor. There's two rooms, both in disrepair, and one containing teleporter 2. The staircase leads to the second floor.

NEW: The second floor of the second building. Previously used as the administration floor, the boss has done some renovating...

NEW: Access to the roof of the second building by ladder.

NEW: The code room. Even I don't know the code! (because I don't know how to make the events)

NEW: A broken wall on the second floor of the second building reveals a ventilation shaft, which leads to the first floor's office area.

As of of December 28th, the map still needs: an interior for the third building, an admin area, less bricks, and map escape prevention. One of the main problems I ran into was creating a method of preventing people from escaping the map without forcing them to die. I could simply line the ground with kill events and a teleport event that brings the boss back to the top of the building, but what I originally wanted to do was use zone bricks so normals would not die upon impacting the ground (so they don't die before being teleported). However, the server doesn't use zone bricks (as far as I know [the developer kit doesn't include zone bricks, so I can't be sure if they're on the server or not]). Another issue is players on low-end computers. Normally I could give less of a stuff about those people, but it has been brought to my attention that if people can't run the map then it will likely not be accepted. I won't really worry about this until after I finish the map up entirely.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:47:36 PM by Brikichu »

Oooo, looks different.  I'd probably play this is pecon added it.

reminds me of skylines from UT2004. This map looks amazing!

I'd probably play this as long as it's done in TDM form and not hosted by Pecon

what's the deal with you and Pecon?

If it doesn't get accepted I could always renovate it for something else, so I guess a TDM wouldn't be too far fetched. I wouldn't host it, though.

bumping with some new updates: finished the second floor of the second building which completes the second building's interior. The second floor contains the code room and the second boss spawn (i plan to have 3 possible areas a boss can spawn, the original spot in the main building, second floor in second building, and probably the roof for third building), fixed text on the big signs on second and third building, added text for main building sign, added some more chests, fixed various things (missing bricks, unnecessary bricks, etc), added giant invisible wall around map to contain players. will be updating the op with pictures shortly

I really like the map! Just that I worry that if it gets added to the Boss Battles server, there might be problems of trying to locate other players.

I really like the map! Just that I worry that if it gets added to the Boss Battles server, there might be problems of trying to locate other players.
I guess that's one of the issues of having a large map. There aren't really a lot of places someone could intentionally hide without being seen, so I guess that's a plus. Unless if people are intentionally stalling rounds (which is a problem in any map) it won't matter too much since people will actively try to attack the boss since boss will win on timeout.

Ooo, wanna play this map, always wanted something like skyscrapers on the public servers. Keep it up guys!

what did pecon do to you
what's the deal with you and Pecon?
Its nothing personal, I just dont like his Boss Battles servers in particular.

Its nothing personal, I just dont like his Boss Battles servers in particular.

Why not?

Why not?
He just doesn't like it, please keep discussion on the build and not derail the thread.