Poll

What is your favorite feature included in version 3?

Infinite terrain
239 (11%)
Finite terrain
139 (6.4%)
Support for various brick sizes, terrain types, and ModTer sizes and types
171 (7.9%)
Color, Print, and Brick setup
144 (6.6%)
Landscape Additions (Mountains, Caves, Clouds, Floating Islands & Boundaries)
176 (8.1%)
Biomes, Details and Mass Detail Setup
164 (7.5%)
Chunk saving and loading options
130 (6%)
GUIs and Presets
156 (7.2%)
Advanced Options (such as manipulating noise scales)
140 (6.4%)
Routines Options (delays, toggling brick destruction, setting up permissions and ownership, etc.)
125 (5.8%)
Custom Bricks and Dynamic Cascading Streams
140 (6.4%)
Floating Brick Support
151 (6.9%)
Multiple User Support
137 (6.3%)
Build Loading and Flat Areas
161 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 325

Author Topic: Procedural Terrain Generator (Features Tutorial Added!)  (Read 87514 times)

Something well deserved
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:32:34 AM by RamboCreativity »

I spent a whole day loving around with this

I couldve been doing something productive with my family but instead I was making terrains with the sole purpose of making dof pictures and walking around with infinite terrain.

Is there an option to make the maximum chunk amount larger?

Is there an option to make the maximum chunk amount larger?
Yes, under Routine options for the Complex GUI, you can either raise the "Server Chunk Object Limit" value, or select "Disable Chunk Object Limit Buffer" to disable the limit altogether (both options under Generator Limits).

how do I make finite terrain generation bigger?
If using the Simplex GUI, you can increase the grid size using the sliders near the top of the window. For the Complex GUI, you can increase the values for the last two text boxes (X and Y for End Pos) under Setup options. You can also reduce the amount of details by reducing the detail frequency under Features, although that does look epic.

Nice use of the mountains =)

*Alkatjo's big batch of ideas*

*A set of tools that allows us as a player to dig into the ground/wall/mountain similar to the trench tools. (Already stated).
*An option to set a mountain to ramps instead of tall bricks. (This only correlates to bricks and not mod-tier).
*Brush tools (in development/already stated).
*Maybe procedural layering? Like if you break the top brick of an 8x8 grass brick, an 8x8 dirt brick is placed underneath? (Think 'Unlimited mining' servers).
*Add height noise slider and terrain 'z' start slider to simplex.
*Maybe a function where if you set down a bot brick as a biome feature, a box containing bot types appear and you can set a bot to spawn on generation.
*Cave generation that leads to the surface.(Not sure if its just me, but most of the caves that generate are no where near accessible).
*Creeper terrain/biome/entity? Terrain that is potentially fatal to the player if exposed to it for a long time.(Similar to corruption from terraria i believe).

That's all i can think of for now, i'll post more later.
and add the preset biomes (like "rockies" and "plains") to the complex gui?
I think adding them all will take a lot of time.
But I am certainly on board with these:The layering doesn't need to be very fancy.
Just 4x4 or 8x8 cubes.
We'll smooth it out ourselves.

It would be cool if some kind of ore system could be involved.
Bricks with different prints or color.
But that could be an addon for PTG.

And isn't this one already possible?Some bots have their own spawnbrick in Special. So just use those in the GUI.
For now I'm planning for the brush editor to be a separate add-on, that could possibly work with PTG; still figuring out how that will work. Also, the Simplex GUI is meant to just be an introduction to the Complex GUI interface, so I can still add new options to it, but would prefer for it not to be too complicated.

Tools, an ore system and procedural layering would be cool, and could possibly be separate add-ons. Changing the height of caves (and some of the settings under Advanced options) should allow them to intersect with the terrain more often.

Btw, I found an issue in which "routine halted successfully" would appear at least twice in chat when a PTG routine was halted - this will be fixed in the next update. Also, I have a few small mods which were being worked on simultaneously with PTG, and should be released soon. I'll probably upload the new add-ons as a development build first, and will start a new megatopic for them.

-Nvm picture was eyerape, will get a betterr one tommorow-
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:56:30 PM by GrenadeBoy »

HAND IT OVER

I've been working on making my fort wars server better. Here's the tower I have been working on with LewnaJa. Floating islands are sweet.

Change the end X and Y points in the complex GUI

Change the end X and Y points in the complex GUI
thank you, one more thing how can I set the detail frequency for each biome?

also is it possible for one biome to have a single lake when generated while the rest don't?

thank you, one more thing how can I set the detail frequency for each biome?

also is it possible for one biome to have a single lake when generated while the rest don't?
It's not possibly to set the detail frequency per biome, only universally under Features. However, if you reduce the amount of details per biome under Biomes options, or set up more details under the Uncommon / Rare groups, it'll generate less details for that biome. You can also use the Mass Details Listing option under Features if needed (which is slightly more complicated, but gives you more control over detail bricks.

I found an issue when resetting a minigame while using bots, in which I received this error:
base/server/scripts/allGameScripts.cs (28088): Unknown command getDataBlock.
  Object Chunk_-32_-32(21004) SimSet -> SimObject -> SimObject

base/server/scripts/allGameScripts.cs (28088): Unable to find object: '' attempting to call function 'getId'
BackTrace: ->[BotHolePackage]MiniGameSO::reset->MiniGameSO::reset

Does anyone know what's causing this or how to fix it? It seems like a script is trying to retrieve the datablock object from each chunk when the minigame is reset, which doesn't make sense. I even tried renaming the chunk parent simset and moving it to MissionCleanup, but that didn't resolved it. Also, if no chunk objects exist, I don't receive this error.

It's not possibly to set the detail frequency per biome, only universally under Features. However, if you reduce the amount of details per biome under Biomes options, or set up more details under the Uncommon / Rare groups, it'll generate less details for that biome. You can also use the Mass Details Listing option under Features if needed (which is slightly more complicated, but gives you more control over detail bricks.
okay great to know :)