"Time" for a new CityRPG

Author Topic: "Time" for a new CityRPG  (Read 2700 times)

It's about time for a new CityRPG...
So I made a topic;
It's for a CityRPG about time.

Everyone has something they hate about CityRPGs. The jailing, the giant pits, the freekilling, etc., but how about the waiting? Waiting for your next paycheck, waiting for your education, waiting... It's really just a waste of time.

What I propose is that everyone gets a time limit that counts down to your death.
You basically get to choose how to spend your time. I mean literally; you spend time like currency. Time is money. (If you've seen the movie InTime you'll know what I'm getting at.)

For example:
  • A burger might cost 3 minutes, a house might cost 2 weeks.
  • Instead of going to jail, you will simply lose a lot of time.
  • Getting hurt will make you lose time instead of health (why not).
  • Time is transferrable.
  • Transportation around town will just be teleporting at the cost of time (equal to the time it would've taken to walk there)
  • And when you run out of time (timeout) you get some kind of harsh punishment
    • (Maybe your body is disabled until someone gives you the time of day)

I might've overlooked a few details and time puns, but I'm sure you'll let me know how much you hate CityRPGs in the comments.

Aside from the InTime aspect, what improvements should be made to future crps?

You already know what is wrong. The only City RP(G)s that I saw up on the top 3 were Diggy's and Wicked's. Why? Because their mod works and they don't give themselves 45345345345435 gold and have millions of admins. Their cities are built nice. Their's are hosted on a good map.

I've jotted down a few ideas:
AI
~Bot citizens to add more depth to the cityrpg
~Pathfinding, daily routine, jobs, personality

Energy
~Need to sleep, or will pass out
~Furniture like couch/bed/bench will replenish

GUI
~Should not be required to play
~smartPhone with apps

Blueprint buildings
~Randomly generated
~Same structure, but different color scheme, accents, layout etc.
~Empty to be furnished, or pre-furnished

Lots
~Dirt lots i.e. no pits to fall in
~Purchase neighboring lots and can still build contiguously
~Pay to excavate dirt and build basement

Jobs
~Need to apply for job and can fail
~Part-time and Full-time (If you are in school you can only have a parttime job)
~Some kind of simple task to do ex. a frycook might move frozen food to grill then grill to burger crate.
~Raises/Promotions by doing job well, Get fired for not meeting quotas

Comment on anything I've posted here in a timely manner.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:57:29 PM by Whirlwind~ »

Permabanned, but maybe unbanned each time the server gets reset? I absolutely love the concept, however that stood out to me as a harsh punishment. Newbies overlooking things, having to go AFK for something important, etc.

Edit: Just saw the part under it, soz
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:01:37 AM by Drydess »

very neat idea.

instead of the constant grinding to own the most property like in most lower quality rpgs, this forces you to make better decisions and try to make the best out of what time you have.

Permabanned, but maybe unbanned each time the server gets reset?
Or just start a new life from scratch when you die.

Or just start a new life from scratch when you die.
Idk, then people could just commit Self Delete/whatever to regain their time if they failed to do good. There needs to be some greater punishment for something like this imo

I had plans to make a better city RPG one I know would work but I haven't felt like it.

Normal people let others build their own house. I say the host should make their own apartments with enough empty space for a 16x16 lot brick to be planted inside the building. Much easier to control.

I had plans to make a better city RPG one I know would work but I haven't felt like it.

Normal people let others build their own house. I say the host should make their own apartments with enough empty space for a 16x16 lot brick to be planted inside the building. Much easier to control.
that would work nice in this cityrpg if there was anything else to do with your time besides build

seems like if all you had was a 16x16 apartment area you would have a lot of time to do nothing

Idk, then people could just commit Self Delete/whatever to regain their time if they failed to do good. There needs to be some greater punishment for something like this imo
Yea people could just give each other all the time all the time.

I've always thought about having apartments in a crp. You don't need a 16x16, just an empty room and code that lets you build in it if you own it. Bricks can be cleared when you move out too.

If doesn't even have to be a building city rpg.

the host could make everything for them and then allow them to rent out space with pre made furnishings.

Wow. I've mused about doing a server like this before after I watched InTime. Really excited to see that someone wants to take on this concept.

Feel free to call on me if you want smaller scripting tasks done for this. I can't make a few of the things you jotted down as requests because some of those are pretty demanding tasks. But the underlying time system wouldn't actually be terribly complicated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:33:51 AM by Pecon »

Feel free to call on me if you want smaller scripting tasks done for this. I can't make a few of the things you jotted down as requests because some of those are pretty demanding tasks. But the underlying time system wouldn't actually be terribly complicated.

Thanks pecon. I haven't fully decided if I want to take on this project, and I do realize that some of the later suggestions would be intensive. This is more of an "ideas-have-been-bouncing-around-in-my-head-and-I-need-some-place-to-put-them-down" topic.

Very interesting concept.

This is a novel concept.
Only thing I question is teleporting taking the same amount of time from your life as walking. I think it should take slightly more. It's a risk:reward sort of situation.

It's going to take me 5 minutes to get there. That's 5 minutes of me walking, somewhat slow.
OR, I could teleport there instantly, cut out the slow boring walk and get straight to work. However, it is going to take an extra 2 minutes worth of life away.

Now I have to decide what I want more. A quicker easier time playing, or longer spent on the server.
Otherwise I might as well always teleport. Especially as it will probably take a more efficient/direct route than were I to walk.
It gives both an incentive to think about how you spend your 'time', and also to prioritise quicker transport, like vehicles.

If doesn't even have to be a building city rpg.

the host could make everything for them and then allow them to rent out space with pre made furnishings.
This sounds awful.
Besides work, which depending on cityrp/rpg consists either of clicking bricks or just waiting for a paycheck, what else is there to do? Walk around? Be criminal? (which is always the most annoying aspect of cityrpgs)

You keep going on about how Blockland used to just be a chatroom, but that is exactly what you'd be making if you removed building and the means for creativity.

It's no longer a cityrp(g), it's Habbo Hotel.