The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3772152 times)

Is that the healing thing from Killing Floor?
Yeah, im making a killing floor wep pack

Tried changing it up a little but it still looks weird to me. Its a bit better than it last was.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:07:35 PM by pwnfulz »

I decided to make a Jeep-like vehicle. I call it the Expiditioner. View it in 3d here: http://p3d.in/FyFmq

The hood seems kinda goofy, and I think the suspension is too low and/or the wheels are too small, I'm not too sure which one is bugging me.

I think it looks adorable!

I have a few suggestions, though:

- the headlights should be hexagons
- the rear wheels should be moved a little further to the back
- smooth-shade the headlight lenses

I'm welding this door!

The hood seems kinda goofy, and I think the suspension is too low and/or the wheels are too small, I'm not too sure which one is bugging me.
I think it looks adorable!

I have a few suggestions, though:

- the headlights should be hexagons
- the rear wheels should be moved a little further to the back
- smooth-shade the headlight lenses
Yeah, I'll see what I can do. Also the suspension is much higher in-game, I've changed it since uploading this model to P3D

Also would recommend making the lights not blended with the chasis.

I decided to make a Jeep-like vehicle. I call it the Expiditioner. View it in 3d here: http://p3d.in/FyFmq
i saw that 2-3 days ago on p3d lol

-snip-

On a second thought, the wheelbase seems to be fine. But I'd like to call your attention to something more serious:

It seems to me you made this car by sticking together a bunch of primitives (cubes, cylinders, etc). While it may look good at the first glance, the main drawback of making a vehicle like that is the amount of unseen faces. You really need to tidy up the mesh by removing the unseen faces.

While having around 3k tris is no big deal, you should make a habit of keeping your mesh clean. It will not only optimise the performance, but also makes working with the model much easier.

On a second thought, the wheelbase seems to be fine. But I'd like to call your attention to something more serious:

It seems to me you made this car by sticking together a bunch of primitives (cubes, cylinders, etc). While it may look good at the first glance, the main drawback of making a vehicle like that is the amount of unseen faces. You really need to tidy up the mesh by removing the unseen faces.

While having around 3k tris is no big deal, you should make a habit of keeping your mesh clean. It will not only optimise the performance, but also makes working with the model much easier.
I've literally modeled like that for years, it's mostly out of habit.

You can really see what Barna is talking about when you look at it like this: http://p3d.in/FyFmq/xray

Everywhere you see a plane inside the model that you couldn't see without the x-ray is an extra face that is completely unnecessary and should probably be fixed. (Just to help and illustrate what he's talking about :D)

I've literally modeled like that for years, it's mostly out of habit.
So then now's as good of a time to fix it as any.
Optimisation aside, it can lead to some pretty goofy looking lighting artifacts as well.

Is there a way to select all the inner faces in milkshape? The reason I never bothered to fix it is because It was a bit overwhelming to deal with that. Usually with my weapons I'll cut them down when I have the chance but otherwise its quite a task.

I'd be surprised, I've never seen that kind of thing automated because there's really no way for a program to be able to identify what is and isn't supposed to be there.

I'd be surprised, I've never seen that kind of thing automated because there's really no way for a program to be able to identify what is and isn't supposed to be there.
Yeah you're right. I got too accustomed to using boxes for modeling to the point where I kind of blindly used them for every model I've made with a few exceptions. I think for one of my weapon packs I really noticed how sloppy it seemed and for a while used plates and such but it turned out to be a pain in the ass so I stuck with using boxes. Every now and then I'll see a really detailed piece and my OCD will force me to delete the inner faces and such but other than that I use straight up boxes. The issue with it being sloppy and adding more poly's doesn't seem to faze me at all though, which I think is good because my weapons aren't too detailed anymore anyways since I quit using billions of bevels for every part of the body. I'll probably kick the habit if I switch to another modeling program but I can't get used to any because I'm too familiar with milkshape. Meh.