Author Topic: Graphics in Blockland  (Read 5627 times)

Due to this being a combination of a suggestion and a gallery topic, it is in General Discussion.

Anti Aliasing:

I have done this by setting anti-aliasing in my Catalyst control settings at my dads, I havn't tried this with nvidia. The problem with forcing AA in those is that I have no clue what it'll do to anti-aliasing that I have actually set in other games. Idk though, going into my settings everytime I play BL may be a pain.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

This isn't like I set 16x QSAA, but it makes it look better. For people who don't know what AA does, if you look at the second pic it has less jagged edges. If you still aren't seeing it, look at the BLP sign in both pics.

The reason I did this is because I was wondering why DOF screenshots look better and realized its because some of the points of the pic have basically been anti aliased.

Anti Aliasing I do not believe is possible in TGE, if my dreams come true and Badspot ports/remakes/whatever Blockland to torque 3d, this I would hope be a feature.

Shadows & Lighting:

In screenshots, shadows of you player are displayed on bricks. Would it ever be possible to have that always display for higher end PCs?

And now for something that would probably require an engine change (Torque 3d... *hint*), would be realistic lighting, as in, we may actually need to put lights inside structures. I could make a dark room in the bedroom day if I made a room with no windows.

Depth of Field:

We've all heard of the DoF screenshot, but that makes a more tunnel vision effect. Have you ever played Ifluid? What I'm talking about is something like this:

As you can see, stuff in the background is blurry, and creating an effect of the hugeness of the room. Well, this is blockland and DoF would be very awesome to give that effect.

As in, not twilight princess.

Bloom:

Just kidding.

Wait, actually if it wasn't exaggerated and just gave the feel of daytime, it would be cool. Just a little touch of it.

I will be editing this as I go, post other things that you would want to see. I could see these things happening if we kept the old settings so people would still be able to run it that barely could.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:07:13 AM by Zenthos »

If you set some setting too high with Catalyst control the engine crashes, so I wouldn't advise playing around with it.

Yea, thats why being built into BL would be nice. BL did crash the second time I tried.

Edit: stuff I forgot to enable adaptive anti-aliasing for the pic, oh well. Ill try doing this with nvidia at my moms. Plus having a GTX 285 1gb will help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:21:34 PM by Zenthos »

That before image for aa looked like my gfx overclocked, the good days =D

Wow this went away surprisingly fast.

If I get really skilled with photoshop I could make an all together pic with the DOF, a little bloom and stuff.

heh, my blockland looks that good, but the player shadow is still a bit pixel-ish  :\

heh, my blockland looks that good, but the player shadow is still a bit pixel-ish  :\

Well BL doesn't come with AA, and in screenshots player shadows are higher res and displayed on bricks not just interiors/terrain.

Why can't Badspot add AA? Oh, and catalyst A.I. Crashes my game when I put it on Advanced, Keep it on standard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:38:04 AM by Isjix »

Just use a program to tweak it for now, that looks awesome.

Rivatuner is the best for me.

Why can't Badspot add AA? Oh, and catalyst A.I. Crashes my game when I put it on Advanced, Keep it on standard.

TGE doesn't support it, all this is possible in the newer torque engines, but doing the shadows on bricks in only possible with the current version. Adding that feature would be very simple.

Anti aliasing makes Blockland look just amazing because we're used to jaged edges on squares and diagnol lines.

We should petition for an engine change now. If Torque 3D could have graphics like that... Do want.

We should petition for an engine change now. If Torque 3D could have graphics like that... Do want.
That'd loving suck.  We would be back to v0002.  Do you guys realize that badspot would have to code everything in the engine again?

That'd loving suck.  We would be back to v0002.  Do you guys realize that badspot would have to code everything in the engine again?
Unless he ports.