Author Topic: Creating Buildings  (Read 5431 times)

OK, DO NOT say anything more about IQ tests, and stop bumping my little bumper car. 

Someone, please tell me how to import a Torque Constructor build to Mission Editor as a legacy dif file... and where it goes (C: Program Files, Blockland, etc)
thats why its called bumper car

hmm by this you are suggesting that your IQ below 160

sometimes I find it very funny to reaad arguments :D

sometimes I find it very funny to reaad arguments :D

I agree =D  Especially on the computer =P  too good....

CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE???!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Torque Constructor:
Okay, I'm making a tower, but when I use a tube, I can't make any door ways to enter/exit.  Is this unavoidable????

Okay, I'm making a tower, but when I use a tube, I can't make any door ways to enter/exit.  Is this unavoidable????

Select the tube and Hollow it out then use Subtract on a block that's placed where you want the door to be.

Just muck around with it you'll pick it up...eventually.

Select the tube and Hollow it out then use Subtract on a block that's placed where you want the door to be.

[img]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3195/hollowsubtract.jpg[/img]

Just muck around with it you'll pick it up...eventually.

[img]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9768/basictower.jpg[/img]
CSG Subtract is not a good tool to be using.  It adds many unneeded faces.  

As long as you're not carving with a non rectangular shape or carving into a non rectangular shape it should be okay, but you should learn to use the knife, slice and clip tools, and the best way to learn to use them is by starting with rectangles.

So in your case it's not that bad. Let me give you an instance where the carve tool will murder your awesome building.

Let's say I wanted to create the following wall (grey is solid, white is a hole):

Using the carve tool will result in this:

This is bad. Very bad. I can not stress how bad this is. If you ever need to stretch, rotate, scale or otherwise modify this series of brushes it will probably break. It is extremely likely that you will end up with microbrushes, brushes stuck inside of each other, etc. Torque is smart and knows how to deal with these but it's still not good practice. It will degrade performance and it makes your map much harder to manage when you're editing it.

This is what happens when cut out the shapes yourself using the clip (or equivelant) tool. It's only 1 extra step then the carve tool and only takes slightly longer, but it's a lot cleaner. Basically you just place 3 place holder pentagons where you want the holes to be (if you were a draftsman these would be similar to construction lines, let's just call them construction brushes). Then divide up the space intelligently so that each brush is convex (no indentations) but still forms the concave geometry (holes) you want.

Thanks Wookie and Wedge  :cookieMonster: 

I thought maybe you had to edit it using faces or something....

Google SketchUp would be so much easier for what I'm doing.................. . .

Very nicely explained Wedge :D

Wesley, you DO know that Google Sketchup maps have to be REALLY simple, right?  I find Constructor easier, not many of Sketchup's drawing features can be used.

Wesley, you DO know that Google Sketchup maps have to be REALLY simple, right?  I find Constructor easier, not many of Sketchup's drawing features can be used.

Yes I do Marcem.  But for what I'm doing... it would be easier in SketchUp.