Author Topic: V14 Clarification  (Read 34120 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
To host without port forwarding you must:
----A: Have UPnP enabled on your router.  There is often a simple radio button for this on your router configuration page.

-OR-

B: Have a router that does not randomize UDP origin ports.

If you do not have UPnP your server's ping will show up as "---".  In this case if your router is non-randomizing your server will still be join-able.

To run the mac version:
----You must have OSX 10.5 or 10.6.  Version 13 was the same way.  This has not changed.  Apple has made it impossible for a single app to run on both 10.4 and 10.6 therefore you must fork over the money to upgrade.  You signed on for this bullstuff when you bought a Macintosh.  

There is a bug where particle emitters stop:
----This is due to a fix for a crash where particles would keep going after you disconnected and do bad things.  It is trigger whenever anyone leaves the server.  This has been fixed for v15.  

Almost all problems are still caused by add-ons:
----Do not report any bullstuff gameplay problems like "damage doesn't work" to me unless you have duplicated the problem with no add-ons running.  Use your brain and read this FAQ entry: http://blockland.us/index.asp?p=FAQ#s  

If the auto-updater does not work:
----Download and install the full version.  It will update v13 to v14.  

The update does not delete your saves or add-ons:
----If your saves or add-ons disappear, it is because you are using Vista or Win7 with UAC enabled and Blockland installed to the "Program Files" directory.  In this situation, any file Blockland writes is re-directed by the OS into the "virtual store".  When the Blockland exe changes, it gets a new virtual store folder and therefore can't find the old saves.  Your options are:
    A: Disable UAC
    B: Install to C:\Blockland  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:20:36 PM by Badspot »

Thanks for the clarification(s), Badspot.

The update does not delete your saves or add-ons:
----If your saves or add-ons disappear, it is because you are using Vista or Win7 with UAC enabled and Blockland installed to the "Program Files" directory.  In this situation, any file Blockland writes is re-directed by the OS into the "virtual store".  When the Blockland exe changes, it gets a new virtual store folder and therefore can't find the old saves.  Your options are:
    A: Disable UAC
    B: Install to C:\Blockland   

Thankfully i have not had this problem with any updates, even though i have Blockland in the Program Files folder, but i don't have UAC enabled :D

(I don't even know what that is or what it does, so i think i'll leave it off)

Ugh I've explained to my parents over and over this will not give them viruses... they won't budge, I can't even touch the router, ohh well, no hosting for me.
Thanks for the clarification anyway.

I am going to test if Dedication still works without porting too,
but if anyone can tell me now please.

:iceCream: < That is my comfort food because I am really angry because I can't get my key from my dad's email for the full version until tomorrow and I want to make a server! I wish the updater would keep the last key that was used!

To run the mac version:
----You must have OSX 10.5 or 10.6.  Version 13 was the same way.  This has not changed.  Apple has made it impossible for a single app to run on both 10.4 and 10.6 therefore you must fork over the money to upgrade.  You signed on for this bullstuff when you bought a Macintosh.  

Lol.

Next time copy the authentication code onto notepad/wordpad and save it into a folder for future use. Then you won't have to wait for your parentals to check their e-mail.

You need a static IP to host too, right?

And does UPnP come with Macs.

A static IP shouldn't be needed to host.

The OS of your computer does not make a difference, the feature works by talking to your router and telling it to forward the ports.

I love how baddy has to post a clarification topic everytime he updates.

Are we to post bugs in this topic?

If so, while playing Blockland (default, no add-ons what-so-ever) I noticed that the Screenshot Format option constantly goes back to JPEG format. After selecting PNG and clicking Done and returning to options, it still appears as JPEG format.

Edit: Actually, I just tried pressing Apply and it worked. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:59:34 PM by Blastdown »

When did Badspot add a global list named $AddOnLoaded__?

God damn all these technical terms...

I have a few questions still.

-What is UPnP?
-How would I be able to stop my router from randomizing UDP origin Ports?

God damn all these technical terms...

I have a few questions still.

-What is UPnP?
-How would I be able to stop my router from randomizing UDP origin Ports?
"Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) supports peer-to-peer Plug and Play functionality for network devices." According to my router