Author Topic: Save Disabler  (Read 5296 times)

Doing that means you can't keep your build on another server if you aren't admin. What if they won't let you, and you liked what you built? You can't keep it :(
Just save what you build like, every 5-10 minutes, you can save the bricks, cause you are the owner.
No problem at all.
There could also be an option, so you can set a schedule for an autosave of your own bricks.

He means, say you built something on top of someone elses build, if you wanted to save your build you would then have to save the persons build which yours is built on, but you can't do that because you're not admin.

He means, say you built something on top of someone elses build, if you wanted to save your build you would then have to save the persons build which yours is built on, but you can't do that because you're not admin.
Then there should be specific public build bricks introduced, bricks that have no owner, that everyone can build on and save.

Badspot

• Administrator
You guys have no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through to get some bricks savable and others not.  All of the brick ownership logic is done in script and all of the stuff that makes saving work like getposition and getdatablock is done in code.  When a new person joins a server, you'd have to process every brick to figure out if they can save it or not then tell them about it.  Or you could transmit the owner's bl_id of each brick and have the clients figure it out, but that takes a lot of bandwidth.  Not to mention that this kind of thing is open to an unbelievable number of bugs and workarounds and we'd see tons of blm/rtb style mods that re-implement the saving system just to fix them which is not something I want to re-visit. 

Technical issues aside, philosophically it doesn't make sense.  You want to cripple the game just to deal with a handful of people who are jerks.  But after you do that, they will just find some other way to be jerks and you (me) will have wasted a huge amount of time with very little accomplished.  The jerks will always find a way to be jerks.  Just ban them.  Post your builds in the gallery here or on the rtb forum or on your own website if you want credit and adoration. 

To clarify: this is the end of the discussion of this issue.  The game is about finding builds online, saving them, and doing what you like with them.  I'm not changing it and if you find some crazy way to stop saves from working, I will patch the game in order to fix it (already done it once, please don't waste any more of my time). 

-----

On the other issue, I definitely agree that there should be a way to save with brick ownership.  Often you have to restart or something when hosting a server and it'd be great to be able to save off the full state of the server. 

Yeah, totally okay for me :D

You guys have no idea how much ice cream I'd have to go through to get some bricks savable and others not.

Yeah i do, i was just explaining what the guy meant ;D

I have suggested this before. If you really don't want people taking credit then hide your name throughout your build. More than once, so that if they happen to find one there are several more lurking around. That way if they really want to steal your build, but don't want anyone to find out, they have to go through tons of bricks just to find all your possible name locations. It's a lot of work, but it should be more than sufficient for your problem.

I agree with your point Badspot and dont worry im not going to go shifting through your code trying to disable saving. Im just saying that with the blockland population growing everyday, soon it wont be a hand full of noobs lerking around. There will be hundreds. And we have all gone into a server before and lo and behold there is your build and someone else is taking credit for it. Im just saying you should atleast have the hosts trust to save so people dont just come in, save, and be on their way. I mean this is why we have that stolen builds server up and stuff, no one wants their hard work to be taken by someone and used to get into USSR or something, it just would make more sense if you had to atleast have trust. Thats what im thinking...

I'm concerned with this as a clan leader, i had somebody apply with 2 stolen builds, luckily we recognized both if we had not, i would have had let him in
The solution here is to make them build stuff in front of you. That's what I do in the BLBC. If someone wants to get in, I tell them what to build, they build it, then I reject them. :)
MotE has another fool proof option, see if the criminal put their name anywhere. If it is in huge writing in the most obvious place then it's probabably not theirs.

Rex

I have suggested this before. If you really don't want people taking credit then hide your name throughout your build. More than once, so that if they happen to find one there are several more lurking around. That way if they really want to steal your build, but don't want anyone to find out, they have to go through tons of bricks just to find all your possible name locations. It's a lot of work, but it should be more than sufficient for your problem.

Also, make the bricks with your name on them holding something vital up, so, if it's destroyed, the build goes with it. :D

They could repaint them... lol.

Protip : Don't let people in based on just applications.

y won't you guys just triple layer a wall or build your I.D. somewhere far and unnoticable. I did that with all my builds after hearing that people steal builds, as far as im concerned i got it solved by puting 2 of my I.D.s in the build and one of them far away from the build, actully pointing or nicknaming the build.

you can reprint bricks. their, just make is so only the original owner can repaint their letter bricks and wala, of course then they will destroy them, build new ones in their place then reload the build so its right on top of it and thats it. There really is no was to just write your name. They probably go through the build delete it, save, and then load it for someone. The only full profe way is to be able to save only for admins or on a trust basis. We already have the trust funtion now we just need save. Just saying, it would be nice. :-/