Author Topic: Actual license plates  (Read 3163 times)

here's some ideas and my response to them

7-segment display... no.. not good for letters. and it's a license plate, not an LED

if you used images or shapes or whatever for each character in the vehicle mesh itself, you'd have 36 nodes per letter, and with 7 letters, that's 252... leaving, as I understand it, 3 nodes for everything else. call the cops

could be possible to mount a bot that looks like a letter/number instead
that way it's 36 bot models, and just 4-6ish mount points
this is promising, although to me it means 7 bots.
barnabas uses bots to have more animated doors... bots could also be used for extra meshes in cases like this.

1 bot (with 37 nodes in its mesh) in 7 mount points, with each mount point offset so that the bots perfectly fill in the license plate area.

a person who was willing to do this (not I, despite my recent trend of surprisingly complicated small improvements) would need to be very careful about knowing the width of the license plate and how much to move each mount point
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:51:57 AM by Teneksi »

Probably a Terrible Idea But, the license plate should be the owner's BL_ID

barnabas uses bots to have more animated doors... bots could also be used for extra meshes in cases like this.

1 bot (with 37 nodes in its mesh) in 7 mount points, with each mount point offset so that the bots perfectly fill in the license plate area.

a person who was willing to do this (not I, despite my recent trend of surprisingly complicated small improvements) would need to be very careful about knowing the width of the license plate and how much to move each mount point
bots can be scaled by vehicle makers if needed
since bots can be scaled in XYZ directions independently

You can only mount up to 4 things on a vehicle, and one of them is already taken for the mountPoint for the people in the vehicle. So you can really only mount 3.
Quote from: TGE Documentation
slot   Image slot to mount to (valid range is 0-3)
http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/reference/classShapeBase.html#ab003698139f63c896284ac355c7aa7c2

You can only mount up to 4 things on a vehicle, and one of them is already taken for the mountPoint for the people in the vehicle. So you can really only mount 3.

that's for images, not objects like players/bots. you're able to fit a lot more than 4 people onto a vehicle at once

if need be, could use up one mount slot to mount an invisible bot, which has the digit bots mounted to it

could also be used to make interesting looking signs

that's for images, not objects like players/bots. you're able to fit a lot more than 4 people onto a vehicle at once
That's what I was talking about, hence the "Image slot to mount to", and how it links to an explanation of shapeBase::mountImage.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:25:44 PM by Cruxeis »

That's what I was talking about, hence the "Image slot to mount to", and how it links to an explanation of shapeBase::mountImage.
Yeah but we're talking about bots, not images. The script we're using to add bots uses mountObject.

if need be, could use up one mount slot to mount an invisible bot, which has the digit bots mounted to it

why not just have the bot stretch across the license plate then have the rest mount on that

why not just have the bot stretch across the license plate then have the rest mount on that
I'm not sure how that's different from what I said

I'm not sure how that's different from what I said
idk I could've worded it differently
anyways
how are you going to accurately position bots or numbers/and how bad will performance be saying there's 10 cars with 7 digits for their car plate

here's some ideas and my response to them

7-segment display... no.. not good for letters. and it's a license plate, not an LED

if you used images or shapes or whatever for each character in the vehicle mesh itself, you'd have 36 nodes per letter, and with 7 letters, that's 252... leaving, as I understand it, 3 nodes for everything else. call the cops

Yeah but we're talking about bots, not images. The script we're using to add bots uses mountObject.
I must've misunderstood something then, my apologies lol

Probably a Terrible Idea But, the license plate should be the owner's BL_ID
Pretty Cool, But there are 1,3,4,5,and 6-Digit BL_IDs so There would either be different size fonts for the Plate, or Different plates altogether. If they do have to be different, low IDs could get a gold star sticker.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:03:07 PM by Killbot Alpha »

Pretty Cool, But there are 1,2,3,4,5,and 6-Digit BL_IDs so There would either be different size fonts for the Plate, or Different plates altogether. If they do have to be different, low IDs could get a gold star sticker.
2 digit BL_IDs???

2 digit BL_IDs???
oh sorry, didn't see that. Why aren't there 2 digit BL_IDs?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 02:05:54 PM by Killbot Alpha »