Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 416183 times)

Hello, hello, people that are much more computer savvy than I. My dad works at intel, and he is able to get one of these processors for free (unless its out of stock.) So I was wondering, which would be the best to get?
Also, I would like to be able to upgrade some time in the future when I have more money, but that would pretty much force me to get the i3, I think.. Please help me.
These are the only available processors

The Xeon would be your best choice.

The Xeon would be your best choice.
Oh you
Get the core 2 quad if you're going to run applications that can use all four cores.

You should get me the Core 2 quad and in return I shall give you the payment of shipping  :cookieMonster:

Oh you
Get the core 2 quad if you're going to run applications that can use all four cores.

Wow I definitely skipped right over that one.
Edit
Thanks for saving my mistake

Also if you dad really worked at Intel he wouldn't even let you touch a xeon.

Also if you dad really worked at Intel he wouldn't even let you touch a xeon.
He would probably just choose your CPU for you.

Q9300   3174
i5 650   3267
i3 2140   4074
X3440   5024
Xeon seems to be the best out of all of those right next to the i3
Go with the i3, quality motherboards for the Xeon are pretty loving expensive
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:25:06 PM by KoopaScooper »

Xeon is server processor.

Just dropped the gtx 670 in, ran heaven benchmark and it's so much better than my 5870. Now I just need to get a new heatsink for the 5870 nad I can throw it n my spare computer but then I have an extra 6770 laying around.

Xeon is server processor.
Xeon is a workstation CPU as well. Used in heavy CAD projects and stuff generally big to deal with.

Xeon is a workstation CPU as well. Used in heavy CAD projects and stuff generally big to deal with.
and gaming handicaps