Author Topic: Blockland Repository  (Read 6605 times)

We currently support other repositories that if you have already set it in your version.json, it will keep it. Depending on how your Support_Updater works, it will update to that version if it's newer.

The intention with this project is to reduce all friction between projects and allowing sharing between hosts is a part of it. We're currently working with BLG to create a common API to achieve this.

So you don't replace existing version.json files? You just add your repository to them? Sounds good.

Wonderful!

So you don't replace existing version.json files? You just add your repository to them? Sounds good.

Wonderful!

We're never replacing anything but stuff that have to do with BLR. Other than that, the only thing we're removing, though, is redundant files, like Thumbs.db, .DS_Store, .svn, .git, etc...

This thing is still alive. I'm just moving around things and upgrading the current Add-On system to be a tad bit better.

I found out that we're currently forcing description.txt, so I made it optional. We will still tell you about it, though.

Feel free to test things out. Putting your mod in our system will make it a lot easier to find bugs and get to know how users handle their mod.

If there's problem, just shout here or send me a PM and I'll deal with it asap.

We're never replacing anything but stuff that have to do with BLR. Other than that, the only thing we're removing, though, is redundant files, like Thumbs.db, .DS_Store, .svn, .git, etc...
just out of curiousity, what exactly is .DS_Store?

OT: This looks promising, I hope it gets finished

just out of curiousity, what exactly is .DS_Store?

OT: This looks promising, I hope it gets finished
It's a metadata file that OSX creates in every directory it indexes.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:58:26 PM by Mr Queeba »

I'm taking back the control of this topic now, now when it has been resurrected from the dead. I've also been busy to bother about it, but I'll eventually continue on it and ignore those pesky features that I currently cannot implement, but sure will in the future.

Thank you for the edit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:49:43 AM by mctwist »

Glad you resurrected this. I hadn't heard of it yet. I'll give it a bookmark. As long as there's a good deal of file sharing with services like BLG (as you said there will be), I'm in full support. It never hurts to have a little redundancy in the case of an RTB-type failure. I wish this project the best of luck.

I have a couple questions:
  • Do you plan on adding searching? Having a master list that lists all hosted add-ons together would also be nice.
  • Do you have any sort of implementation schedule for features you've said will be implemented (like BLG file sharing)?
  • Are you in need of any help with development, or are things just a bit sluggish due to life and whatnot?

Glad you resurrected this. I hadn't heard of it yet. I'll give it a bookmark. As long as there's a good deal of file sharing with services like BLG (as you said there will be), I'm in full support. It never hurts to have a little redundancy in the case of an RTB-type failure. I wish this project the best of luck.

It's the plan to add that feature, but I haven't gotten around doing it until I've mangled out the basic functionality.

• Do you plan on adding searching? Having a master list that lists all hosted add-ons together would also be nice.

Yes. It's on my to-do list, but I'm discussing it with my designer.

• Do you have any sort of implementation schedule for features you've said will be implemented (like BLG file sharing)?

Yes, they are all listed here.

• Are you in need of any help with development, or are things just a bit sluggish due to life and whatnot?

Both, really. First, this project was created so anyone that think it's worth something may modify at their hearts content, the very reason I put it out here so early.

Secondly, life is... hard, mildly speaking. I've put the project on lower priority due to things that requires my attention more. I might pick it up this summer again, but I cannot guarantee it.

Yes, they are all listed here.
Thanks! Good to see what's planned.

Both, really. First, this project was created so anyone that think it's worth something may modify at their hearts content, the very reason I put it out here so early.
If I get the motivation later this Summer, I may do a pull request or two. Although, no promises. It's been about 2 or 3 years since I've done anything with PHP, and I have no experience with Laravel.

Also, have you excluded music uploads for the same reasons discussed in this thread?

Finally, do you plan on making this project something that anyone can easily download to host their own archive, or something that's intended to be provided as a service? I know that it being on GitHub more-or-less implies the former. However, I wonder how much of this will be reflected in your code. For instance, are you planning on adding options for customization?

Personally, I would love to run something like this locally, but not necessarily publicly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:49:46 PM by Platypi »

Thanks! Good to see what's planned.
If I get the motivation later this Summer, I may do a pull request or two. Although, no promises. It's been about 2 or 3 years since I've done anything with PHP, and I have no experience with Laravel.

I've only worked with Laravel for a year. Never have heard of it until Boom mentioned about it and got me going in the right direction. I put an extensive installation guide in the readme.

Also, have you excluded music uploads for the same reasons discussed in this thread?

I actually got two reasons. The first is not copyright, but more about the work that needs to be put through to be able to locate blatant copying music. It's perfectly legal to reuse a piece of content, as long as that piece of content is not copyrighted as well.

The second reason is size. Even if images or models might be big, the music is comparable gigantic. I rather disable such a feature mostly for this reason to avoid having to store so big add-ons on the server. Of course, it should be fully possible to enable music if the host think the drawbacks are not that bad. Currently I'm not sure of how I'll put this into play.

Finally, do you plan on making this project something that anyone can easily download to host their own archive, or something that's intended to be provided as a service? I know that it being on GitHub more-or-less implies the former. However, I wonder how much of this will be reflected in your code. For instance, are you planning on adding options for customization?

My host is only there for a general view of how it'll look like. Sure, I wont take it down nor limit it so it can still be used as a normal host. However, the whole thing with this project is to make others take over it whenever they think they want to be a host.

I currently have the general customization for environment variables, but I tend to add more later on to make it easier to use. For now, one can change some of it through the seed files.

Personally, I would love to run something like this locally, but not necessarily publicly.

Laravel is built so you can do local testing in a closed environment, and then put it in production on the server that is public.

I went to link my Blockland account and ran into a uh- problem, haha.

That is indeed peculiar. On my site, I get SadBlobfish. I'm currently looking through it.

Edit: Located and fixed the issue.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:52:50 AM by mctwist »